Lane Departure Protection: Annoying at best. Hazardous at worst.

This is what I saw in the manual. It doesn't look like the system would fight you if you try to steer away in one direction ("intentional steering").

Lane Departure Protection alerts will be
canceled immediately
if any of the following
actions happen:
- A turn signal is activated
- Intentional steering
- Intentional acceleration
- Intentional braking
Regardless what is said in the manual it does push you back and vibrates the wheel, significantly, if you don't use the blinker, which you won't be doing ina quick diversion turn to avoid hitting something. It forces a delay in your reaction time and if it's a safe lane change and you didn't use your blinker that's just an annoying reminder, however if you are trying to avoid an obstacle it delays your reflex.. That's a danger

After so many bad experiences with Tesla, I'm generally opposed to any feature that lets the car override my much better judgement. I know too much about the world of software development to ever truly trust a computer with my life.

I don't mind a wake up chime at all. But when I tug the wheel, I'm doing it for a reason. So let go, computer.

I seriously hope they add the option to warn but not auto-correct steering before I get my Lucid.

I had mine enabled the whole time up until this post and disabled it and it felt a lot better. Only thing is the annoying symbol on the screen

I did the same thing on a drive across the state yesterday on an Interstate. The steering kept tugging anytime I got off exact center of the travel lane, even though I was nowhere close to crossing out of the lane. The car drove much better with the feature turned off.

What was interesting, though, is that the car does not do this nearly as much on local roads, even the wide 6-lane boulevards that prevail in Naples. It left me wondering if there's some subtle difference in the lane divide markings between the two types of roads.

Another problem with lane intervention is that it will sometime stick the car over the lane or a bit onto the other side and you would have to manually center it.
I have lane centering on pretty much every car I currently own (8) and had them on pretty much every car since 2016/2017 and all of them in the city are better at keeping the car centered.

Another problem that is with Highway Assist is that any strong curve on the highway and it will not take it and have you manually steer which is IMO underwhelming since Escalade 600 with super cruise which is much more top heavy will take that curve and I did a drive to Florida flawlessly on super cruise.
It's missing lane changes which Cadillac would switch lanes automatically sensing traffic conditions

Another problem with lane intervention is that it will sometime stick the car over the lane or a bit onto the other side and you would have to manually center it.
I have lane centering on pretty much every car I currently own (8) and had them on pretty much every car since 2016/2017 and all of them in the city are better at keeping the car centered.

Another problem that is with Highway Assist is that any strong curve on the highway and it will not take it and have you manually steer which is IMO underwhelming since Escalade 600 with super cruise which is much more top heavy will take that curve and I did a drive to Florida flawlessly on super cruise.
It's missing lane changes which Cadillac would switch lanes automatically sensing traffic conditions
I don’t have a problem with HA turning the curve, but I have to sweat whenever Air passes big 18 wheelers truck. I like to steer away from truck to the other side of lane where HA doesn’t seems mind to get gravitated to truck at center of lane. Like I said, I must intervene as I don’t trust autonomy fully.

I don’t have a problem with HA turning the curve, but I have to sweat whenever Air passes big 18 wheelers truck. I like to steer away from truck to the other side of lane where HA doesn’t seems mind to get gravitated to truck at center of lane. Like I said, I must intervene as I don’t trust autonomy fully.
I tried it at night on a 1 hour drive. Those curves were steep for a Atlanta highway Downtown connector from i85 south heading north. It would let go of highway assist multiple times even after reducing speed. Haven't been much on highway after that

This is an old thread, so just curious if anyone has any second thoughts after disabling lane departure correction. I agree with all the other responses, I find it annoying and dangerous, like a slightly inebriated toddler grabbing the wheel at random moments. I have literally never had it correct in a situation that was helpful over ~6 months, so I turned it off. Of course, the situations where I *would* expect it to be helpful should be extremely rare for any competent driver, so interested to know if anyone felt that it ever did a "good save", or contrarily, if you turned it off and felt you got into a dicey situation where it would have been helpful.

I actually prefer it to the behavior of my Tesla Model X, which has a more abrupt jerk to pull me back further into the lane. The Lucid feels more like a a bit of a grip that prevents me from wandering further, in case I'm not paying attention. And I like the red (is it orange?) visual warning as well. Combined with superior side view mirrors with a blind spot warning light, I feel well supported without using HA and without using the turn-signal-activated blind spot cameras.

This is an old thread, so just curious if anyone has any second thoughts after disabling lane departure correction. I agree with all the other responses, I find it annoying and dangerous, like a slightly inebriated toddler grabbing the wheel at random moments. I have literally never had it correct in a situation that was helpful over ~6 months, so I turned it off. Of course, the situations where I *would* expect it to be helpful should be extremely rare for any competent driver, so interested to know if anyone felt that it ever did a "good save", or contrarily, if you turned it off and felt you got into a dicey situation where it would have been helpful.
No second thoughts. As others have said, this "feature" can be downright dangerous.

I actually prefer it to the behavior of my Tesla Model X, which has a more abrupt jerk to pull me back further into the lane. The Lucid feels more like a a bit of a grip that prevents me from wandering further, in case I'm not paying attention. And I like the red (is it orange?) visual warning as well. Combined with superior side view mirrors with a blind spot warning light, I feel well supported without using HA and without using the turn-signal-activated blind spot cameras.
I agree with how it grips, if you keep your hands on the wheel it’s not a big deal. I would rather have it on, however I agree with the post below that I have yet to be saved by this feature.
I just keep it for Highways where we have those cement barriers on both sides and I am driving besides them, I can never tell how close I am to them.
Going to turn it off for local driving. That is a good idea.
As a reference the Audi Q7 has a similar jerking effect. Would be nice if we had the feature as visible only to tell us we are too close vs the actual jerk.

Haven't missed it for a second. The outage light is annoying. Overall the dream drive system, of which this is a part, is slow and delayed...I am always overriding it... Frankly it scares me ..I never know if it knows what to do and if I wait to see, it's would be too late to correct. Never use that either. Adaptive speed control is perfect

Back