Key Fob Lucid should have done

I wonder if that case acts as a Faraday Cage so the fob doesn't wake the car?!?! LOL. I now keep both of mine stored in bags (we'll see if battery life improves) and I have definitely observed the car waking up on its own but not turning on lights or dash but making the same clicking sounds (contactors) when it starts to wake. I have denied BT access to the app so I don't know if I just so happened to catch multiple times the vehicle waking to check for an update.

Taking out the phone and waking up has nothing to do with mobile key.
Well, I guess that effort of taking my phone out of my pocket is wasted effort......well, not really as I stick it in the cupholder or charger almost every time. Still, just means that MK is inconsistent, at best.

Now I can avoid getting my phone wet on those rainy days...;)

I'll just keep calling her "Christine".

I wonder if that case acts as a Faraday Cage so the fob doesn't wake the car?!?! LOL. I now keep both of mine stored in bags (we'll see if battery life improves) and I have definitely observed the car waking up on its own but not turning on lights or dash but making the same clicking sounds (contactors) when it starts to wake. I have denied BT access to the app so I don't know if I just so happened to catch multiple times the vehicle waking to check for an update.
The keys need to be in separate bags just FYI

I still suspect a large swath of the issues is due to Android (not blaming Android users, obviously). Folks on iOS happen to have, by and large, much better experiences with mobile key, it would appear.
And this gets to the heart of the matter. Phone's Bluetooth implementations change from generation to generation, across their hardware, firmware, drivers and software. Heck, the Bluetooth SIG changes the standard every few years. Asking a Lucid-style startup company to verify all the combinations is a daunting task. Apple does (IMHO) the best job of maintaining functional consistency over the years and models, but they're not faultless. Android users don't have that luxury across all the brands it's installed on, so It's especially unfair to ask them to rely on their phone as the primary way to get into the car. And then there's the choices of Bluetooth modules that Lucid installs in the fobs and the car. If they have multiple sources for parts depending on what they can get delivered today, that's another layer of uncertainty. Yes, it will improve over time, but it's very unlikely it will ever be as consistently reliable as a simple, dedicated, purpose built fob system. There are orders of magnitude more complexity going the Bluetooth route. It's a nice to have, but shouldn't be a need to have.

(I continue to harp on this because the keys to a car, whatever form they take, are another one of those critical touch points to the user experience, like a steering wheel or turn signal stalk. I continue to hope that Lucid hears these issues and changes course in the near future. Don't abandon the mobile key concept, but give us something better than the existing fob system. Please.)

The keys need to be in separate bags just FYI
Yep ... spare key is in its own bag (got a 2 pack from Amazon) and inside a metal tin that I use to keep all my "extra" keys. The main key is in a bag in my kitchen about 30' away from the vehicle. I have confirmed that the keys are in the correct pouch of the bag by standing next to the car with the fob in the bag. Only when I remove the key from the pouch does the vehicle wake up. The vehicle also does not respond to fob presses while the fob is inside the bag, so I'd say that the bags are doing their job!

My experience is the same as Bobby's ... I used the fob twice, first when its functions were demonstrated to me when I first got the fob, and once at home just to confirm its use. Since then, stowed in a faraday pouch. My phone is my everyday access key. I do keep the card in my RFID-protected wallet for safety for the times I forget to take the phone out of the wireless charger in the car while on a trip; I've never used the card.
There have been a few times when the car did not unlock before I reached the door, but the vast majority of the time it works as I would expect it.
I would expect that carrying the fob would improve my experience for those few times, however I enjoy the convenience of needing only two things with me when I drive: RFID wallet for my ID and payment cards, and my phone.

The key is the worst thing about the car. It is the first interaction with the car each day, and it means I have a bad user experience before I’m even behind the wheel. A simple old fashioned key with buttons would be an upgrade. I bought the car for the battery/motor tech and the space design. Attempting to reinvent keys was an unnecessary distraction. It’s so foolish to bring amazing new technology to market and yet trip over the basics.

One thing that could be fixed with an OTA update is the ability to turn off proximity features: locking via a click on the key should mean that it can only be unlocked by physically clicking the key again, avoiding the cycle of lock/unlock from 20 feet away.

The key is the worst thing about the car. It is the first interaction with the car each day, and it means I have a bad user experience before I’m even behind the wheel. A simple old fashioned key with buttons would be an upgrade. I bought the car for the battery/motor tech and the space design. Attempting to reinvent keys was an unnecessary distraction. It’s so foolish to bring amazing new technology to market and yet trip over the basics.

One thing that could be fixed with an OTA update is the ability to turn off proximity features: locking via a click on the key should mean that it can only be unlocked by physically clicking the key again, avoiding the cycle of lock/unlock from 20 feet away.
This has been described numerous times in the past. Please check the wish list on www.lucidupdates.com for this and other items. Meanwhile, ditch the fob and use mobile key.

Fob Schmob

This has been described numerous times in the past. Please check the wish list on www.lucidupdates.com for this and other items. Meanwhile, ditch the fob and use mobile key.

Fob Schmob
Thanks, but the settings on that list don’t include what I’m suggesting. I think you should be able to temporarily disengage proximity sensing with a simple fob click to lock until it is clicked again. That way it should work most of the time, but if you find yourself in a situation where it isn’t working, like having a conversation 20 feet from the car, you can disable it with a simple click. There’s no reason to click to lock unless the proximity process isn’t working, so a click should indicate an override.

Thanks, but the settings on that list don’t include what I’m suggesting. I think you should be able to temporarily disengage proximity sensing with a simple fob click to lock until it is clicked again. That way it should work most of the time, but if you find yourself in a situation where it isn’t working, like having a conversation 20 feet from the car, you can disable it with a simple click. There’s no reason to click to lock unless the proximity process isn’t working, so a click should indicate an override.
Possible. Simply lock the car manually with phone, fob, or valet. I do it when I'm washing the car.

Considering the fob already combinations of short and long clicks for lock/unlock/frunk/trunk, there wouldn't be a 'simple' click to disable the proximity.

Maybe short-short-short long-long-long short-short-short? 😉

Considering the fob already combinations of short and long clicks for lock/unlock/frunk/trunk, there wouldn't be a 'simple' click to disable the proximity.

Maybe short-short-short long-long-long short-short-short? 😉
They should just switch to natural language commands entered as Morse code

This reminds me of Henry Ford's "faster horse."

In an ideal world, there would be no fob. As @Bobby likes to say, "Fob, schmob."

Lucid is working towards that ideal. They have not yet achieved it, of course. Thus, the plastic thing most of us carry.

Personally, I'm in favor of companies who shoot for the stars and miss over ones who make no effort to move the state of the art forward. I'd rather they spent as little time thinking about the fob as possible and spend that time eliminating the need for a fob in the first place.

Some day in the not-so-distant future, no cars will have a fob of any kind. Your car will simply recognize you when you approach and open. 100% of the time. This is certainly more easily attainable than self-driving. And it's better than an over-engineered block of plastic and electronics presented inside a fancy glass and carbon fiber cylinder any day.

You can laugh and say Lucid is silly for proposing we are already in this utopia when clearly we are not. But as far as I can tell, the only time technology has been pushed forward is when it gets pushed just a little before it's quite ready.

I get most people would rather live in the present, where the things they love already work "fine" and "Please don't change anything, thank you very much."

But someone has to be out there asking "Why have a fob?" instead of "How do we make a fancier fob?"
If someone parks right next to me so I can't get back into my car, I can use my fob to start the car and back it out. How would I do that without a fob?

I find that it sort of does this. If you're standing next to the car, and it's doing the lock-unlock dance, you can press the fob to lock once and it just won't do it again for at least 30mins.

If you move the key around a bit or go slightly farther away and return, it'll reset and start going crazy.

When I'm at a cars and coffee or just talking to someone while standing next to my car, I manually lock it from the fob, and place the fob on the roof. Then it doesn't act up at all.

Android here (Galaxy S23 Ultra). My mobile key has been great the past few months. Occasionally, the car will go into a 'deep sleep' state, but opening the app wakes the car immediately and it unlocks; no need for the app to fully establish a connection to the car.
That is my phone as well. But my mobile key doesn't work at all. I usually have the fob and phone with me, but yesterday I left the fob in the house and tried to get the mobile key to work. It's set up correctly in the car, paired, bluetooth on. I deleted it and re-added it, even updated all the phone settings with the info on the lucidownwers.com faq. The car has no response to it. My fob works 100% of the time and it's buried in the bottom of my pocketbook, so carrying it isn't a problem.

That is my phone as well. But my mobile key doesn't work at all. I usually have the fob and phone with me, but yesterday I left the fob in the house and tried to get the mobile key to work. It's set up correctly in the car, paired, bluetooth on. I deleted it and re-added it, even updated all the phone settings with the info on the lucidownwers.com faq. The car has no response to it. My fob works 100% of the time and it's buried in the bottom of my pocketbook, so carrying it isn't a problem.
Next time we meet, let's trouble shoot it

I stopped using the mobile key due to car locking and unlocking several times per minute while I'm working in the garage. Mobile key would also sometimes take 30 seconds to unlock the car. Now I'm back to the fobs, in Faraday pouches, and the garage is much more peaceful.

I stopped using the mobile key due to car locking and unlocking several times per minute while I'm working in the garage. Mobile key would also sometimes take 30 seconds to unlock the car. Now I'm back to the fobs, in Faraday pouches, and the garage is much more peaceful.
That could be a problem. I work in the garage a lot too, and have bluetooth on for music. It hasn't been an issue, but I guess it wasn't seeing the mobile key. I think you can turn off bluetooth just for the Lucid, which should prevent the car from waking up.

Back