Key cards, fobs and phones, oh my!

Like I said earlier the key card is great for emergencies and/or if you are doing a sport activity and need a waterproof key. Lock all your stuff in the car and just carry the card with you. Voila!
No issues with it being an add on bonus for some. My point is that if this is something that others aren't offering, I think they may have over engineered here to create an expectation of an experience with the valet that ultimately disappoints.

No issues with it being an add on bonus for some. My point is that if this is something that others aren't offering, I think they may have over engineered here to create an expectation of an experience with the valet that ultimately disappoints.
Yea the advice should be, give the valet the fob and enabled a valet mode like others have suggested.

Yea in the first few days I had that issue, just entered pin and started using the fob exclusively.

I really think the purpose of the key card is an emergency backup or for people who swim/bike/run something like that since it's waterproof. I don't think it's meant for valets even though it's called a valet card sometimes.
now don't let borski see this but i too am having issues about the names of things. Some things don't need a name at all, like the Wonderbox doesn't need a name because user can't even see it, let alone interact with it. But the wall wart does need a name, because we need to understand what people are talking about ( a wire? any wire? a charger? who's? etc). Even "Lucid Charger" is vague...you mean the Wonderbox? If I say Juice Box everyone knows what I mean. If I say Betty Boop only borski knows what I mean.

Now you've just found another example of why choosing a name is important... why isn't it called a key card? so simple and so obvious. adding "valet" implies Lucid wants you to give it to your valet...but think about it: you spend a half hour in front of the restaurant explaining how it works and demonstrating in the car.
Then you come out and it's a different valet, one you haven't trained. So when you drop your car make sure you train EVERY valet how to unlock and drive your car with the key card, and make sure you check to see if new valets are coming to work whilst you are dining, so they know the score too. Does that make sense?

Or you could give them the key fob and a pack of 2032 batteries, and explain how to get the fob open (which isn't easy either)... or just give them your phone (if like me, you didn't know you could turn the app OFF!) Mine has been on all this time and driving me crazy because I did not know it behaves like the fob and will wake up your car from across the street. My phone app has amazing range.
So if I ever get my screens back I'm giving my phone to the vallet. I hate my phone. The fob is cool now that I know how it works.

oh and about the snoopers: I've had Faraday sleeves on all my wallet cards that have chips. I thought everyone does this? I have the key fob Faraday pouches too...they are cool. I need to wrap my phone in aluminum foil...all I get on it are solicitations from Stacy.

In the future, every home will have a Faraday room.
1667180483915.png

OK, I admit, I only have a masters degree in engineering but cannot figure out the logic behind car entry and driving.

I’ve been carrying the fob with me and everything works as expected. Lock/unlock, driving, etc.

I tried to use the card key at a valet situation, but they had a problem parking and locking it because if asked for the pin…?

Last night I ventured out with only my phone in my pocket. When I parked it asked me for my pin…? It seems like the phone is treated as less trusted than the fob, which is not the case with the Tesla.

What’s the logic here? Is the only way to valet to use the fob?

Also, I found out if you accidentally dismiss the pin entry screen, you can never get it back. The top screen helpfully keeps demanding you enter a PIN though.
I found the same when the tablet retracted and then extended didn’t allow a requested pin.

I found the same when the tablet retracted and then extended didn’t allow a requested pin.
Huh? You never need the PIN unless you are using the key card.

I've been asked for the PIN when I unlocked the car using the app because the mobile key wasn't working for some reason. This has happened at least twice.

I've been asked for the PIN when I unlocked the car using the app because the mobile key wasn't working for some reason. This has happened at least twice.
What type of phone do you have?

Thanks Bobby. Just got the car last week and trying to figure out the key card vs phone vs FOB. Have had Teslas s and y since 2015 and find a lot of things less advanced in terms of software. For example having the cars camera be a dash with retrievable events. But over all I am liking the car. A few things feel delicate like the door handles and retractable screen. One sales rep said the card was a valet key which doesn't seem to be the case. Learned about touching the ceiling with it on this forum. Much better than the manual.

IMHO: Ditch the fob except for use by a valet. Use the Mobile Key only. Delete profiles that are there for no reason. Carry the Key Card (I don't call the valet card because it is ridiculous to try to teach a valet how to use it and it doesn't lock out any functions or compartments) for emergencies (dead/lost phone).

IMHO: Ditch the fob except for use by a valet. Use the Mobile Key only. Delete profiles that are there for no reason. Carry the Key Card (I don't call the valet card because it is ridiculous to try to teach a valet how to use it and it doesn't lock out any functions or compartments) for emergencies (dead/lost phone).
I have been logging my mobile key usage now for the past 35 days. I have used the mobile key 146 times. It has been perfect 144 times. Once, it was delayed in opening the car and I thought I would need to use the app to unlock it, but by the time I launched the app it unlocked by itself. The other time, it unlocked but when I got in and sat in the driver’s seat everything went dark. When I tapped the brake pedal it came back to life. Neither time did ask me for a PIN.

That’s 98.6% perfect with two minor inconveniences, neither of which lasted more than an extra five seconds.

I have been logging my mobile key usage now for the past 35 days. I have used the mobile key 146 times. It has been perfect 144 times. Once, it was delayed i opening the car and I thought I would need to use the app to unlock it, but by the time I launched the app it unlocked by itself. The other time, it unlocked but when I got in and sat in the driver’s seat everything went dark. When I tapped the brake pedal it came back to life. Neither time did ask me for a PIN.

That’s 98.6% perfect with two minor inconveniences, neither of which lasted more than an extra five seconds.
The last time the battery died in my fob I didn't bother to change it for three weeks and instead just used the mobile key. It worked flawlessly. The only feature I missed was the ease of opening the trunk or frunk by simply clicking the fob.

The last time the battery died in my fob I didn't bother to change it for three weeks and instead just used the mobile key. It worked flawlessly. The only feature I missed was the ease of opening the trunk or frunk by simply clicking the fob.
If you have an iPhone/Apple Watch: “Hey siri open the frunk.”

If you have an iPhone/Apple Watch: “Hey siri open the frunk.”
I've tried that several times and it was always very slow. Does your trunk open quickly with Siri?

I've tried that several times and it was always very slow. Does your trunk open quickly with Siri?
Not as quickly as with the fob if the car is asleep.

If the car is asleep, opening the frunk or trunk with Siri always times out with an error for me.
The only reason I carry the fob. Really hoping Lucid can speed this up and make it work consistently. I'll drop the fob into a drawer and forget it exists the day that happens.

It would be great to be able to speak to your watch and have the trunk respond quickly, especially when your hands are full. I’m sure they’ll solve this eventually.

Back