Key cards, fobs and phones, oh my!

Whidbey_LucidGT

Cars
Lucid Air GT
OK, I admit, I only have a masters degree in engineering but cannot figure out the logic behind car entry and driving.

I’ve been carrying the fob with me and everything works as expected. Lock/unlock, driving, etc.

I tried to use the card key at a valet situation, but they had a problem parking and locking it because if asked for the pin…?

Last night I ventured out with only my phone in my pocket. When I parked it asked me for my pin…? It seems like the phone is treated as less trusted than the fob, which is not the case with the Tesla.

What’s the logic here? Is the only way to valet to use the fob?

Also, I found out if you accidentally dismiss the pin entry screen, you can never get it back. The top screen helpfully keeps demanding you enter a PIN though.

The valet card can be used as a key without a pin if you hold it up to the ceiling, essentially in the middle of the car next to the flux capacitor looking microphone holes

The phone should only prompt you for a pin if you use the app itself to unlock the car. If you have it setup as a mobile key, it should not require you to enter a pin.

The valet card can be used as a key without a pin if you hold it up to the ceiling, essentially in the middle of the car next to the flux capacitor looking microphone holes

The phone should only prompt you for a pin if you use the app itself to unlock the car. If you have it setup as a mobile key, it should not require you to enter a pin.
So we have to teach this maneuver to every valet service we use?

so card is so nonstandard it's not worth the hassle. Not sure how I'll use it.

phone - I'm pretty sure I have it set up as a mobile key (!?) but will check. I couldn't do anything to get it out of park after I stopped driving, had to exit the car, lock it, unlock it to get the PIN screen to come up again. Anyone else have the PIN screen disappear?

OK, I admit, I only have a masters degree in engineering but cannot figure out the logic behind car entry and driving.

I’ve been carrying the fob with me and everything works as expected. Lock/unlock, driving, etc.

I tried to use the card key at a valet situation, but they had a problem parking and locking it because if asked for the pin…?

Last night I ventured out with only my phone in my pocket. When I parked it asked me for my pin…? It seems like the phone is treated as less trusted than the fob, which is not the case with the Tesla.

Also, I found out if you accidentally dismiss the pin entry screen, you can never get it back. The top screen helpfully keeps demanding you enter a PIN though.
Personally, I like using a pin to start my car. I have that choice active in my Tesla. Teslas have been stolen by individuals who had sniffer software on an iPad that allow them to clone your key fob signal. There are security videos of cars stolen in this manner. Thief walked around home until he detected a key fob signal. Once detected, it is cloned and the iPad can open and start the Tesla. This led to Tesla adding pin option to the car startup sequence. Hopefully, Lucid will allow mandatory use of pin to start car.

so card is so nonstandard it's not worth the hassle. Not sure how I'll use it.

phone - I'm pretty sure I have it set up as a mobile key (!?) but will check. I couldn't do anything to get it out of park after I stopped driving, had to exit the car, lock it, unlock it to get the PIN screen to come up again. Anyone else have the PIN screen disappear?
Yea in the first few days I had that issue, just entered pin and started using the fob exclusively.

I really think the purpose of the key card is an emergency backup or for people who swim/bike/run something like that since it's waterproof. I don't think it's meant for valets even though it's called a valet card sometimes.

Yea in the first few days I had that issue, just entered pin and started using the fob exclusively.

I really think the purpose of the key card is an emergency backup or for people who swim/bike/run something like that since it's waterproof. I don't think it's meant for valets even though it's called a valet card sometimes.
Yeah that makes a lot of sense. Unfortunate name, ‘valet card’

right? If it's meant to be the way to valet, at least print the instructions on the console.
Tesla does this, and I think Lucid should also.

My guess is its on the list of 50 billion software features they are adding.

My fobs sit in a drawer. Only use the phone key. Key card stays in the glovebox for car wash and valet.

That's your problem right there. You need a PhD to figure these things out.

On a more serious note, who in their right mind at Lucid thought it was good idea to make it this complicated for the valet? The card itself is a fine idea but it's simply not meant to be a valet card - maybe a "wallet card". A better way to do "valet mode" would have been:
1. An on-screen options that turns on valet mode (this mode should have both geo-fencing and a speed limit of 20mph). This will rule out joy rides.
2. The only way to get out of this mode is using the PIN.
3. Simply hand over the key fob to the valet after turning on "valet mode".

That's your problem right there. You need a PhD to figure these things out.

On a more serious note, who in their right mind at Lucid thought it was good idea to make it this complicated for the valet? The card itself is a fine idea but it's simply not meant to be a valet card - maybe a "wallet card".
Yea I agree and I asked! Apparently they had issues with interference and decided to put it up there. I bet they could find another place. They are going to create a graphic with instructions on the pilot panel so that should help

Yes I’m curious what the forum consensus is for the best way to valet park this car.
Here’s the best way: drive past the valet and find the self-park area. Park yourself and walk past the valet on your way into the restaurant while he gazes longingly back at the Lucid he’s not going to get to drive.

Feels like Lucid created something to be dissatisfied with that never would have been a thing had they not created it. Is the valet card a thing with other cars? Again coming from lower intensity car world, I'm just used to having a fob or set of keys in my pocket or at least nearby. I'm not sure having two other ways to enter and drive the car dramatically improves my life or the life of my valet. I just don't understand the point of the valet card in the first place except to have something else that might not live up to expectations. In fact, if they had named it "a key that fits in your wallet for when you don't want to take a fob or your phone with you" maybe everyone would see it that way and then, accordingly, never use it.

Feels like Lucid created something to be dissatisfied with that never would have been a thing had they not created it. Is the valet card a thing with other cars? Again coming from lower intensity car world, I'm just used to having a fob or set of keys in my pocket or at least nearby. I'm not sure having two other ways to enter and drive the car dramatically improves my life or the life of my valet. I just don't understand the point of the valet card in the first place except to have something else that might not live up to expectations. In fact, if they had named it "a key that fits in your wallet for when you don't want to take a fob or your phone with you" maybe everyone would see it that way and then, accordingly, never use it.
Like I said earlier the key card is great for emergencies and/or if you are doing a sport activity and need a waterproof key. Lock all your stuff in the car and just carry the card with you. Voila!

Back