Key cards, fobs and phones, oh my!

The only reason I carry the fob. Really hoping Lucid can speed this up and make it work consistently. I'll drop the fob into a drawer and forget it exists the day that happens.
Adnillien said:
If the car is asleep, opening the frunk or trunk with Siri always times out with an error for me.
Consider this....

If you happen to need to load your LUCID on a flat bed. The truck pulls up. You say "wait a minute...I need something in the front trunk." Now you use the app or siri to open it... nothing happens, so you just reach into the car and hit the button directly to open the frunk. All works fine. You get the something you needed, and then close the hood. The car is loaded and drives away.

...while on the truck driving down the high way... remember that original request to open the hood?
Well it now arrives.

The car is in "park" on the truck, so "pop open goes the hood." at 60mph. Bam!

Ask me how I know. :(

Another example...

You're at your favorite restaurant. You remember you needed something from the frunk. (or trunk in this case.). You walk back to the car, you click the app or ask Siri to open the trunk/frunk as you approach the car.
- Nothing happens. -

So when you get to the car, you just again hit the button inside the car. It opens. You get what you need.
You walk away.
...remember that original request to open the trunk/frunk?

...well while you're sitting a the restaurant, your frunk/trunk are wide open.

My advice to everyone:

Never use the app to open the hood.
Never use the app to open the trunk.

There is no (that I can tell) timeout logic on the car to ignore a request after a certain period of time. Just because the "app" says it timed out waiting for a response, DOES NOT mean the request was never received by your car.

Regarding towing. Insists that driver provide a tie down for the hood. There is nothing to prevent the hood from opening if for any reason it receives a remote request to do so. (Hard, hard, earned lesson.) I'd share the photos, but it's still too heart breaking.

Consider this....

If you happen to need to load your LUCID on a flat bed. The truck pulls up. You say "wait a minute...I need something in the front trunk." Now you use the app or siri to open it... nothing happens, so you just reach into the car and hit the button directly to open the frunk. All works fine. You get the something you needed, and then close the hood. The car is loaded and drives away.

...while on the truck driving down the high way... remember that original request to open the hood?
Well it now arrives.

Another example...

You're at your favorite restaurant. You remember you needed something from the frunk. (or trunk in this case.). You walk back to the car, you click the app or ask Siri to open the trunk/frunk as you approach the car.
- Nothing happens. -

So when you get to the car, you just again hit the button inside the car. It opens. You get what you need.
You walk away.

My advice to everyone:

There is no (that I can tell) timeout logic on the car to ignore a request after a certain period of time. Just because the "app" says it timed out waiting for a response, DOES NOT mean the request was never received by your car.

Regarding towing. Insists that driver provide a tie down for the hood. There is nothing to prevent the hood from opening if for any reason it receives a remote request to do so. (Hard, hard, earned lesson.) I'd share the photos, but it's still too heart breaking.
Holy crap, this totally totally sucks and I'm sorry you had to find out this way.

Consider this....

Well it now arrives.

Another example...

- Nothing happens. -

You walk away.

My advice to everyone:

What a disaster! Sorry to hear about this and thanks for posting.
In my book, the time-out feature would qualify for being included in an update, hopefully soon.

Holy crap, this totally totally sucks and I'm sorry you had to find out this way.
Thanks. Very kind of you to say. I really love the car. This issue does need attention. It’s been over a year and still haven’t seen it addressed yet in any release notes.

The solution is pretty common. The request to the car should include a time stamp which the car then evaluates as to whether ignore or accept the request. (It can get fancy and also use geo location data as well, but I think they should start with just the basics.). At the time I provided a very detailed explanation. However, I never received any corporate follow up. The service team though was great.

IMHO: Ditch the fob except for use by a valet. Use the Mobile Key only. Delete profiles that are there for no reason. Carry the Key Card (I don't call the valet card because it is ridiculous to try to teach a valet how to use it and it doesn't lock out any functions or compartments) for emergencies (dead/lost phone).

I only use the key fob and don't have any of the issues in this topic, I also carry the card in my wallet as a backup.

What advantage is there to using a phone as a "mobile key"?

I always have my phone with me anyway, and I find it works faster, has longer range, and I don't have to worry about a dead fob battery.

Once I learned where the secret "clear all " button is hidden on my Pixel 5a (the one that closes the Lucid app without having to sign out)
I put my fobs in a bowl and haven't looked at them since.

traveling as light as I can

Last edited:
I only use the key fob and don't have any of the issues in this topic, I also carry the card in my wallet as a backup.

One less thing to carry. None of these weird battery issues.

I always have my phone with me anyway, and I find it works faster, has longer range, and I don't have to worry about a dead fob battery.

Once I learned where the secret "clear all " button is hidden on my Pixel 5a (the one that closes the Lucid app without having to sign out)
I put my fobs in a bowl and haven't looked at them since.

traveling as light as I can
I always have my iPhone 14 on my person (usually) and of course I have the Lucid app on phone, so does the phone key work through the app?
One less thing to carry. None of these weird battery issues.
I get that, but I do have to say that the Lucid fob is the least intrusive fob I have ever had even with the house key connected to it. I haven't experienced any battery issues, what are the battery issues you have/had?

I always have my iPhone 14 on my person (usually) and of course I have the Lucid app on phone, so does the phone key work through the app?

I get that, but I do have to say that the Lucid fob is the least intrusive fob I have ever had even with the house key connected to it. I haven't experienced any battery issues, what are the battery issues you have/had?
MANY reports on the forum of Hattie’s dying too quickly. Mobile key is set up through the app but works independently.

Back