Issues With New Car

For those still with us, the car is being sent back now. Total time out of service is about 23 days. They replaced the roof glass (due to tech damage), roof bow (due to tech damage), rear parcel shelf, rear trim piece (due to me damage lol). Apparently they also replaced the rear glass (damaged I guess but i didnt notice), rear 3rd brake light (tech damage) and roof "cant rail" which i think is the trim rail over the flass roof edges. So basically the top 12" of the car. Manager said its now as good or better than factory, he's been a straight shooter so I'm inclined to believe it.

Only thing is the volume knob did get replaced. The wheel is still off-centered, but they said they are having parts issues with those and they are all defective or damaged or somewhat misaligned and this is the best they could get out of the pile they had. I will have to accept that. Maybe down the road I will just order one and replace it again myself.

note to self: aluminum roof saves a LOT of hassle!
 
Honestly, I feel a lot better about my aluminum roof choice after reading this. Glad they took care of you! It was list of issues
 
For those still with us, the car is being sent back now. Total time out of service is about 23 days. They replaced the roof glass (due to tech damage), roof bow (due to tech damage), rear parcel shelf, rear trim piece (due to me damage lol). Apparently they also replaced the rear glass (damaged I guess but i didnt notice), rear 3rd brake light (tech damage) and roof "cant rail" which i think is the trim rail over the flass roof edges. So basically the top 12" of the car. Manager said its now as good or better than factory, he's been a straight shooter so I'm inclined to believe it.

Only thing is the volume knob did get replaced. The wheel is still off-centered, but they said they are having parts issues with those and they are all defective or damaged or somewhat misaligned and this is the best they could get out of the pile they had. I will have to accept that. Maybe down the road I will just order one and replace it again myself.

note to self: aluminum roof saves a LOT of hassle!
That is what a cantrail is; "a structural component, traditionally a timber or now a metal beam, that runs along the upper edge of a vehicle's body above the windows, supporting the roof."

Originally for railway carriages, hence the name. :)
 
That is what a cantrail is; "a structural component, traditionally a timber or now a metal beam, that runs along the upper edge of a vehicle's body above the windows, supporting the roof."

Originally for railway carriages, hence the name. :)
Is that in the manual
 
The car was returned in a covered car hauler, right on time. It is mostly perfect, and in better condition than it arrived from the factory. The team in Seattle did a really good job working with the issues! Some are just design problems/stupid design choices, but the actual pride in thier work now is evident. I will happily keep this car (unless a bunch of other stuff craps out, though I haven't had anything but build quality issues that were exasperated by poor mobile service) for the lease period. Outside of lease, hard to say, maybe if they get a closer service center. While mobile service makes things more accessible, I think sometimes they are tasked with trying to do too much work in the field instead of a proper shop. That is certainly what happened in my case.

Lucid did everything they possibly could to avoid shipping this car back to a service center, which resulted in failed attempted repairs and significant damage to the car. However, once they got the car into a proper shop, repairs were excellent, as was quality of repair, and communication. Getting to that point, however, was a hassle I wouldn't wish on anyone. I was largely ignired until I started posting loudly on forums, and that shouldn't be the case.

I think Lucid will be a much different company in 3 years, either failing to exist as anything more than a hobby for the House of Saud, or, a new regional powerhouse in the EV game that is more accessible than ever. I hope for the latter, since there is no other car at this price point that does what the Air does.

tl;dr- if you're going to buy one, mobile service is not great. If you live more than 100 miles from a service center, have a backup car and try to get major work done there. Lucid pays attention to the loudest yelling, for now, and a lot of their service processes are poor. The cars are unmatched for their price. The people in Lucid are great and care, but they work within a fractured and inconsistent framework.
 
tl;dr- if you're going to buy one, mobile service is not great. If you live more than 100 miles from a service center, have a backup car and try to get major work done there. Lucid pays attention to the loudest yelling, for now, and a lot of their service processes are poor. The cars are unmatched for their price. The people in Lucid are great and care, but they work within a fractured and inconsistent framework.
I think most owners are very happy with mobile service including myself. You case was an exception and a very bad one at that but I would not generalize to mobile service in other areas. Most areas mobile service it excellent.
 
I think most owners are very happy with mobile service including myself. You case was an exception and a very bad one at that but I would not generalize to mobile service in other areas. Most areas mobile service it excellent.
Thats why I added the part about major issues. For the window trim and dash, it was fine. But they also told them to try and replace the roof bow in the garage, which resulted in a damaged roof bow, a broken glass roof, and a 3 week ordeal. I'd like to think Lucid wouldn't try that again. Even their tech said they'd never done it before.
 
Thats why I added the part about major issues. For the window trim and dash, it was fine. But they also told them to try and replace the roof bow in the garage, which resulted in a damaged roof bow, a broken glass roof, and a 3 week ordeal. I'd like to think Lucid wouldn't try that again. Even their tech said they'd never done it before.
I suspect that was a mistake. In the past, mobile has never done that. Your experience isn’t, in my experience, representative of mobile service in general.
 
Situation update: the third glass roof has failed, it warped and started to split on the passenger side. Service manager said they had a string of defective ones (he had to send my first replacement back to factory) and now it appears this one has failed. It looked fine, then yesterday someone asked me what the “bubble in the glass” was. 👀 ah well that’s the glass failing 😭

The door handles don’t present anymore but that’s unrelated.

Anyways back to service it goes.
 
You have just had a really crappy experience
 
March update: car has been in service for another 32 days. Today they said its "done"

They didn't diagnose some of my concerns at all, they forgot.

They said the car's failure to present door handles was related to "low keyfob battery voltage" i dont use the keyfob, they just punted this one. Rejected for diagnosis.

didn't diagnose the other door at all, just forgot.

Unable to duplicate the suspension clunk, which is wild to me.

Of note to other owners: they did diagnose and confirm air leaks at highway speed and replaced a bunch of door seals. So this is something they are aware of.

Also, I had listed "random errors of unknown nature, flashed errors messages that disappear, etc". They said this was 3 failed water pumps
 
Thank you, @hmp10. I think this is an area where we can do better. Your insights and feedback are always appreciated. Please keep sharing.
Well, I really wish I would have had access to an "@margie"-type person when I was having repeated ZERO responses to problems I was having last year. I gave up, wrote some big checks after being ignored despite numerous calls to the sympathetic ears on the Customer Service phone line. They were always understanding, kind, and promised (repeatedly) to escalate to some sort of "management". I never heard a word. Perhaps if I was a Gravity owner instead of a lowly Air GT, I may have received a response. They are all well documented on my profile with Lucid, but nobody cared, so I cancelled my Gravity test-drive, and went on my way with my GT.
 
Well, I really wish I would have had access to an "@margie"-type person when I was having repeated ZERO responses to problems I was having last year. I gave up, wrote some big checks after being ignored despite numerous calls to the sympathetic ears on the Customer Service phone line. They were always understanding, kind, and promised (repeatedly) to escalate to some sort of "management". I never heard a word. Perhaps if I was a Gravity owner instead of a lowly Air GT, I may have received a response. They are all well documented on my profile with Lucid, but nobody cared, so I cancelled my Gravity test-drive, and went on my way with my GT.
I just have an Air Touring. I have found Lucid to be responsive and professional, but unable to fix the car.
 
That's interesting Sock... Mine was fixable, repaired, Lucid's fault, not mine. Warranty denied, no explanation. Service people were stellar, but unable to make any decisions. Customer Service people were responsive, restricted from making a judgement themselves, which is understandable, but the "higher-ups" never responded. So I kept my Mercedes SUV, canceled Gravity. Mercedes responds (instantly) when there was the rare issue, Lucid does not. I don't have the energy for another round of this.
 
That's interesting Sock... Mine was fixable, repaired, Lucid's fault, not mine. Warranty denied, no explanation. Service people were stellar, but unable to make any decisions. Customer Service people were responsive, restricted from making a judgement themselves, which is understandable, but the "higher-ups" never responded. So I kept my Mercedes SUV, canceled Gravity. Mercedes responds (instantly) when there was the rare issue, Lucid does not. I don't have the energy for another round of this.
Just had a fun call that changed my opinion a little bit more in line with yours i guess.

I will continue to say that their front line employees are great people, but I disagree with some decisions from higher ups.

I will no longer be updating this thread but thanks to all who offered advice and help!
 
Last edited:
so this is why you're so cranky

I get it now
guessing you're going to do a lemon law suit?
 
Back
Top