Intermittent wiper issues?

I would argue that the wipers behavior is consistent and the variable is the personal preference of the user. šŸ˜
You are just trying to make trouble and I will not have it. You people living on the wrong coast don't know about rain. The auto wiper function is the worst I have ever seen. slow and unpredictable. In the kind of misty drool outside today the auto wipers are worse than useless. However...I find I can push in briefly on the washer button at the end of the stalk and get relief.

I'd much prefer the variable speed manual and use the sensors in my head.

I'm on the wrong coast and agree that the auto wiper is the worst I have seen. Need to change amount of rain sensed to turn on wiper sooner or make it driver variable controlled.

Reactions: NPN
I would argue that the wipers behavior is consistent and the variable is the personal preference of the user. šŸ˜
I would guess that the behavior is consistent, but I think it needs improvement. The windshield shouldn't have to get covered with rain before the intermittent sensor kicks in.

I am also on the wrong coast and we've (thankfully) been having a lot of rain recently. Agree that the "auto" wiper settings are not working well or consistently as I have experienced similar situations to all of the above drivers. I have loved my auto wipers on my last vehicles (both Lexus) and found that they worked very consistently, allowed variable settings, and so this is a disappointment and I hope Lucid will make improvements in future. I will also say that the wrong coasters are lucky as we don't have to deal with this very often!

You are just trying to make trouble and I will not have it. You people living on the wrong coast don't know about rain. The auto wiper function is the worst I have ever seen. slow and unpredictable. In the kind of misty drool outside today the auto wipers are worse than useless. However...I find I can push in briefly on the washer button at the end of the stalk and get relief.

I'd much prefer the variable speed manual and use the sensors in my head.
You can set it to manual. There is a low and high, in addition to auto.

For what itā€™s worth, weā€™ve been getting a ton of rain this last week or so in CA thanks to a bomb cyclone / atmospheric river whatever that is, and my rented Teslaā€™s auto wipers are insane. They just decide not to go off when the windshield is full of water, and decide to go off like crazy when itā€™s clear, etc. Moreover, you canā€™t turn off Auto wipers if youā€™re in the ā€œautopilotā€ cruise control / steering mode, which is bananas.

I miss my Lucid.

I'll grant you that, to a degree...

But I think we can all agree that the fail-safe for the wipers not working at all in an Auto mode should be better than having to constantly push a button to keep the windshield clear while driving, or having to get out of the car to affect a reset.

I'll grant you that, to a degree...

But I think we can all agree that the fail-safe for the wipers not working at all in an Auto mode should be better than having to constantly push a button to keep the windshield clear while driving, or having to get out of the car to affect a reset.
Again: there is a manual low and high mode you can turn on instead. Itā€™s right there on the leftmost screen.

Lemme guess, long press of the buttons?
No, itā€™s literally next to the auto button. There is a line and then two lines; low and high respectively.

No, itā€™s literally next to the auto button. There is a line and then two lines; low and high respectively.
F2C3585A-FCF9-49D0-AEB5-38B256EE6D67.jpeg

My bad for not reading the manual recently, mea culpa. šŸ˜” But seriously, they couldn't have added a windshield icon and a little text to those? This whole time those two positions seemed like empty place holders.

The more you know.png

My bad for not reading the manual recently, mea culpa. šŸ˜” But seriously, they couldn't have added a windshield icon and a little text to those? This whole time those two positions seemed like empty place holders.

View attachment 8440
Haha I agree the ā€œone line, two lineā€ icons are unclear. That said, theyā€™ve been there from the very beginning, at least since 1.0.4 when I got the car.

Haha I agree the ā€œone line, two lineā€ icons are unclear. That said, theyā€™ve been there from the very beginning, at least since 1.0.4 when I got the car.
Lucid should hire me as a calibrated idiot. I'm really good at finding problems with stuff that should be common sense.

In an ideal world, "intelligent" wipers would allow you to speed up / slow down your speed manually in small increments, and then "learn" that speed for future rain events of similar magnitude.

I'm with @hydbob, there is no one speed (or even 2) that would make everyone happy. We all have different tolerances for how fast we want the wipe.

Got a rainstorm today, was on low and again worked perfectly.
Sometimes it turned off for a few seconds longer than it needed, and sometimes it swiped too many times even when I was under a bridge. But 90% of the time It was consistent and accurate

Got a rainstorm today, was on low and again worked perfectly.
Sometimes it turned off for a few seconds longer than it needed, and sometimes it swiped too many times even when I was under a bridge. But 90% of the time It was consistent and accurate
I've been happy with the performance of the auto wipers except when stopped at a light...They wipe too frequently when it's just misty or a drizzle. Going under the freeway, the wipers stopped as they should. On a curve, the water on the roof/windshield all ran to one side and the wipers went crazy. Being in SoCal, I've only used the auto low setting.

In an ideal world, "intelligent" wipers would allow you to speed up / slow down your speed manually in small increments, and then "learn" that speed for future rain events of similar magnitude.

I'm with @hydbob, there is no one speed (or even 2) that would make everyone happy. We all have different tolerances for how fast we want the wipe.
The auto wipers should be adjustable - like all my previous cars.

I initially didnā€™t see this thread, so I posted a separate thread, but Iā€™m also finding out the sensitivity of the rain sensor is inadequate, and a significant amount of rain accumulates on the windshield, (especially when it is a slow drizzle)to the point that it obstructs the view before triggering the auto wipers. Then you only have a choice of the high or low continuous modes, but there is no intermittent mode that you can set directly on the screen. That should definitely be added. But does Lucid even read this? And is this discussion serving as feedback for their engineers or do we need to be contacting the company directly?

I initially didnā€™t see this thread, so I posted a separate thread, but Iā€™m also finding out the sensitivity of the rain sensor is inadequate, and a significant amount of rain accumulates on the windshield, (especially when it is a slow drizzle)to the point that it obstructs the view before triggering the auto wipers. Then you only have a choice of the high or low continuous modes, but there is no intermittent mode that you can set directly on the screen. That should definitely be added. But does Lucid even read this? And is this discussion serving as feedback for their engineers or do we need to be contacting the company directly?

While not perfect, I find the operation of the auto wipers on the Lucid to be considerably better than on our 2021 Model S and our 2018 Honda Odyssey. I actually use the feature on the Lucid but usually just hit the manual swipe function on the other two cars. The Honda, in particular, will let rain build up to the point of blindness, and then start wiping furiously and continue well beyond the point the windshield is clear.

Always contact Lucid directly to give feedback. They do have employees who monitor these forums, but the forums are not an official channel.

Having said that, I agree, the auto wipers are not always great. Seems to depend on the day. This past weekend, they actually worked quite well for me. But other times, they do seem to wait too long to wipe.

This is one of those tough to solve problems, as different people have different ideas of how frequently the wipers engage. But I donā€™t think anyone wants their windshield to accumulate as much as you showed in those pics.

My Tesla was similarly bad at auto wiping. I would like to see the two manual speeds get replaced with plus and minus buttons, and allow us to adjust between five or six diffreent manual speeds, at the least.

Back