Interesting Navigation Failure

maractwin

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT, 1978 Beetle Conv
I recently completed a cross country trip in our AGT--6,500 miles from Boston out to Yellowstone National Park and back over 3 weeks. Overall, the car performed very well. If you're curious to learn more about our trip, see our blog at https://lexlucid.net

We did have an interesting navigation failure. We had previously seen that sometimes the navigation system couldn't find some named destinations, so had learned not to necessarily trust when the navigation couldn't figure something out. We were trying to get from Jackson WY to Denver CO via a charger at Craig CO. Google said that Jackson to Craig was 327 miles, a distance we felt comfortable with on a single charge. The car navigation insisted that it was over 400 miles from Jackson to Craig via a different route. No amount of entering small town waypoints in between convinced the car to suggest the same route that Google wanted us to take. We didn't trust trying to go over 400 miles between chargers in mountainous terrain, so decided to ignore the car and follow Google's route. And then we found out why the car would not accept Google's route. When we crossed the state border from Wyoming to Colorado, the numbered state highway became a gravel road. At this point we were too far in to turn around and go back. We were forced to take our luxury sedan with 4 inches of ground clearance over 22 miles of gravel road before the route became paved again. The car survived the ordeal, and we made it to the Electrify America charger in Craig OK, and the charger even worked. But why did Google think it was OK to suggest this route? We had taken to using Google to double check every route suggested by the in-dash nav and A Better Route Planner because both were overly optimistic about our energy usage and would have us arrive places with only a couple of % of charge left.

I miss the days of paper maps. Hopefully the nav system works better in 2.0.

I recently completed a cross country trip in our AGT--6,500 miles from Boston out to Yellowstone National Park and back over 3 weeks. Overall, the car performed very well. If you're curious to learn more about our trip, see our blog at https://lexlucid.net

We did have an interesting navigation failure. We had previously seen that sometimes the navigation system couldn't find some named destinations, so had learned not to necessarily trust when the navigation couldn't figure something out. We were trying to get from Jackson WY to Denver CO via a charger at Craig CO. Google said that Jackson to Craig was 327 miles, a distance we felt comfortable with on a single charge. The car navigation insisted that it was over 400 miles from Jackson to Craig via a different route. No amount of entering small town waypoints in between convinced the car to suggest the same route that Google wanted us to take. We didn't trust trying to go over 400 miles between chargers in mountainous terrain, so decided to ignore the car and follow Google's route. And then we found out why the car would not accept Google's route. When we crossed the state border from Wyoming to Colorado, the numbered state highway became a gravel road. At this point we were too far in to turn around and go back. We were forced to take our luxury sedan with 4 inches of ground clearance over 22 miles of gravel road before the route became paved again. The car survived the ordeal, and we made it to the Electrify America charger in Craig OK, and the charger even worked. But why did Google think it was OK to suggest this route? We had taken to using Google to double check every route suggested by the in-dash nav and A Better Route Planner because both were overly optimistic about our energy usage and would have us arrive places with only a couple of % of charge left.

I would say this is a Google failure and a Lucid navigation success, not failure.

I would say this is a Google failure and a Lucid navigation success, not failure.
That's right. I'm not saying that the car did anything wrong. But the situation was certainly unexpected.

The car’s navigation took me down a road in Maine that was almost gravel, I think it was once paved a long time ago but had deteriorated so much that it was effectively a dirt road. The Lucid handled it really well in spite of low ground clearance but I was certainly nervous.

I’m also not a fan of the way this navigation system indicates the “next” turn. When staying on the same freeway, it shows many intersections as the next leg. I’d rather see the total miles on that same road instead of little pieces. Picture for reference. Both upcoming “legs” on are on the same freeway… sometimes it’s multiple.
786F628E-E3D2-411C-A3E5-CB987694A2F1.jpeg

Wow, and yeah definitely sounds like Lucid success there in the maps. That's horrible it would route you through gravel and dirt roads.

With that being said, I have a Zenith Red with Tahoe Interior Air Touring ordered, and I was curious if you would be willing to give me some insight on how your Lucid held up on the total trip, any rock chips, or any damage to the front or paint around the vehicle? Also do you have PPF and what wraps/Ceramic coatings and things did you have done to prepare the vehicle?

Being in Utah, I encounter mountains and canyon driving a lot and want to avoid any damage to the car or paint.

One more quick note, Google doesn't allow the option to avoid Unpaved roads, but Waze does. And sometimes I think I trust Waze more because people can actively report problems, traffic, closures, etc...
So I'd add one more step in there for sanity, and that's checking the Waze maps

I’m also not a fan of the way this navigation system indicates the “next” turn. When staying on the same freeway, it shows many intersections as the next leg. I’d rather see the total miles on that same road instead of little pieces. Picture for reference. Both upcoming “legs” on are on the same freeway… sometimes it’s multiple.View attachment 6106
Is that because at those mile marks there is another route you can accidentally take? Looks like it's telling you to stay to the right instead of accidentally exiting.

I’m also not a fan of the way this navigation system indicates the “next” turn. When staying on the same freeway, it shows many intersections as the next leg. I’d rather see the total miles on that same road instead of little pieces. Picture for reference. Both upcoming “legs” on are on the same freeway… sometimes it’s multiple.View attachment 6106
Yeah, this is very frustrating - makes it hard to relax while navigating on the highway.

Is that because at those mile marks there is another route you can accidentally take? Looks like it's telling you to stay to the right instead of accidentally exiting.
Yeah, that’s why… but… it sometimes says that for exits that are other routes but obviously not the freeway.

I was curious if you would be willing to give me some insight on how your Lucid held up on the total trip, any rock chips, or any damage to the front or paint around the vehicle? Also do you have PPF and what wraps/Ceramic coatings and things did you have done to prepare the vehicle?
At the time we did the trip, we didn't have any film or coatings on the car. We planned that, but the delivery got delayed so much that there wasn't time to get it done before the trip. We were aware of this, and driving defensively: not following trucks too closely, slowing way down around construction areas, etc. We did end up with a very small windshield chip (which reminds me, I keep forgetting to have a patch put over it; it seems way too small to bother with replacing the entire windshield). There were no paint chips that I noticed.

A week after the trip, I took the car in for PPF on the front and ceramic on everything. They didn't mention the paint correction needed except for one trouble spot we were aware of: while parked near a beach, a seagull had dropped a clam on the car to break it open. This left some deep scratches that needed to be buffed out.

When we crossed the state border from Wyoming to Colorado, the numbered state highway became a gravel road. At this point we were too far in to turn around and go back. We were forced to take our luxury sedan with 4 inches of ground clearance over 22 miles of gravel road before the route became paved again. The car survived the ordeal, and we made it to the Electrify America charger in Craig OK, and the charger even worked. But why did Google think it was OK to suggest this route?
THIS! This happened to me on an RV trip around the southwest. I forget which leg it was, but the apple map took us on a mountainous, one lane, "gravel" aka dirt road with a 29' RV. I swore we were all going to die!

THIS! This happened to me on an RV trip around the southwest. I forget which leg it was, but the apple map took us on a mountainous, one lane, "gravel" aka dirt road with a 29' RV. I swore we were all going to die!
Sounds like one of my favorite movies. RIP Robin Williams.

You can send a maps correction to Google - tell them that road is gravel and not suitable for ordinary passenger vehicles. In the past they've made corrections for me within a few hours.

That's right. I'm not saying that the car did anything wrong. But the situation was certainly unexpected.
Not from Lucid's perspective. It did it exactly right. It sent you on a route that avoided the gravel road. It persisted in doing that despite your efforts to use the Google route. Then you nonetheless used the google route and then criticized the Lucid Nav.

That makes no sense at all.

Back