Installing 19" aero inserts?

Do you have the old style or the new style rims? The new style seems to have a different latching mechanism. I’ve got the old one, so I would not really know for sure.
Old style, that's where the scratches are coming from unfortunately

Took my aero caps off to reveal some iron and rust deposits on my rotors. Aero covers are nice, but when it actually comes to maintaining the car. Do yourself a favor and say goodbye to them.
Got center caps and black lug nuts. Looks as sexy as ever.

Also the damn aero inserts scratched the hell out of my rims and I've only ever taken them off twice for air pressure.
I have old style aero covers with the hole. While a pain, I just unclip that one cover blade and (gently) pull back to connect air hose at gas station. No problems except doing this in winter not fun. Have never taken off the whole cover. Maybe it could break but hasn't. Agree it is not the best design. Interestingly I recently got a DeWalt battery inflator and it has screw on for car tires. that works fine without touching to aero cover.

I have old style aero covers with the hole. While a pain, I just unclip that one cover blade and (gently) pull back to connect air hose at gas station. No problems except doing this in winter not fun. Have never taken off the whole cover. Maybe it could break but hasn't. Agree it is not the best design. Interestingly I recently got a DeWalt battery inflator and it has screw on for car tires. that works fine without touching to aero cover.
So I've never taken my caps off, and the one time I did it, it was scratched from the vibrations. So even if you're careful, chances are it's scratched.

They told me it was designed to never be taken off

... They told me it was designed to never be taken off
It seems that there is a lot about the car that is "designed to never be taken off" (negatively impacting reparability and maintainability).
I find that (for us) the valve stem caps can not be removed with the original 19" wheel covers on...
there is an old saying in software that seems to apply here "implemented, not designed or engineered".
On the up side, the new 19" wheel's covers don't have this problem (designed and engineered).

It seems that there is a lot about the car that is "designed to never be taken off" (negatively impacting reparability and maintainability).
I find that (for us) the valve stem caps can not be removed with the original 19" wheel covers on...
there is an old saying in software that seems to apply here "implemented, not designed or engineered".
On the up side, the new 19" wheel's covers don't have this problem (designed and engineered).
They can be taken off, you just need some Starbucks spill stoppers. Paging @Bunnylebowski for a tutorial.

Is it me? I honestly don’t get it. Grab a towel, pull off the covers, inflate the tire, bang them back on. The whole thing takes less than 60 seconds lol

Is it me? I honestly don’t get it. Grab a towel, pull off the covers, inflate the tire, bang them back on. The whole thing takes less than 60 seconds lol
Thanks for your empathy on our concerns on this matter...
The first time I did so I ended up with a 1/4" x 1/8" gash in a finger and scrapes up and down my hand...

I was/am thinking about replacing the caps with something like these, though I recall reading of someone using a valve extender and ending up with 4 flats when a car wash ripped the stems out of the wheel:
https://www.amazon.com/Milton-S-437-Screwdriver-Type-Valve/dp/B0002STSRQ/ref=asc_df_B0002STSRQ/
I don't think you want to remove the valve cores ....

Perhaps these would work: https://www.amazon.com/Milton-S-441...c2-86b3-04473da72dc6&pd_rd_i=B000COMXGI&psc=1

I don't think you want to remove the valve cores ....
Agreed... the other cap allows usage of a screwdriver to remove them (as we can't get our fingers on the current caps firmly enough to remove them). While that cap CAN be used (by inverting it) to remove the cores, they don't have to be used for this. Extending the cap or stem too far (by other reports) leaves them open to being ripped out by car washes (and a resulting flat)... I'd fear that the proposed alternate extenders might be subject to this problem.

Agreed... the other cap allows usage of a screwdriver to remove them (as we can't get our fingers on the current caps firmly enough to remove them). While that cap CAN be used (by inverting it) to remove the cores, they don't have to be used for this. Extending the cap or stem too far (by other reports) leaves them open to being ripped out by car washes (and a resulting flat)... I'd fear that the proposed alternate extenders might be subject to this problem.
Personally, I'm going to try these: https://www.amazon.com/Muzzys-Throu...84-a8b4-387d3c0e9104&pd_rd_i=B08BVVJCFQ&psc=1

Thanks for your empathy on our concerns on this matter...
The first time I did so I ended up with a 1/4" x 1/8" gash in a finger and scrapes up and down my hand...
Touché. I find just using a towel as a grip on the blades works fine. YMMV, I guess.

Touché. I find just using a towel as a grip on the blades works fine. YMMV, I guess.
I now have leather gloves in the car ;-)...
though I worry about both the reported scratches and the potential for breaking the covers... )-;

Back