• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

How Slow Would One Have to Drive….

MPawelek

Cars
None
In a Grand Touring on level ground, no AC or heat on, moderate outside temperatures, no wind and 19” wheels to actually get real close to 516 miles starting with 100% charge? No one on this forum has yet to come close to the supposed rated mileage. Just what conditions do they test these cars to come up with a 516 mile range?

It’s not like the pistons and rings need to seat properly! 😊

Last edited:
It won't even charge the car to 516 miles, the max I can get on a GT wiht 19 inch tires is 467 miles so I have not idea how to even charge to, let alone drive to that theoretical limit!

In a Grand Touring on level ground, no AC or heat on, moderate outside temperatures, no wind and 19” wheels to actually get real close to 516 miles starting with 100% charge? No one on this forum has yet to come close to the supposed rated mileage. Just what conditions do they test these cars to come up with a 516 mile range?

Well, if you take the test Tom Moloughney did, he got 500 miles/520 on the DER going 70mph in AZ. Temp was between 55-75 I think he said. Plus there was a slight elevation change and he stopped to go to the bathroom and get food. So, theoretically, if you were able to do it on a completely flat surface, probably just 65 mph would get you at EPA

Around the bay area a few of us have achieved > 4miles/kWh … of course equally many have never seen 3 :)
I often get over 4 with AC and on 21”

Around the bay area a few of us have achieved > 4miles/kWh … of course equally many have never seen 3 :)
I often get over 4 with AC and on 21”
How much freeway driving and average speed there?

I'm seeing several posts by DE P owners with 21" averaging 3.1-3.3miles/kwh driving 75-85mph on the freeway. Based on DE P vs R specs there's about 10% gain for using 19" tires and slightly lower hp.

It won't even charge the car to 516 miles, the max I can get on a GT wiht 19 inch tires is 467 miles so I have not idea how to even charge to, let alone drive to that theoretical limit!
Are you charging to 100%? That number you’re giving is 90% of a full charge, sounds like you are only charging to that point, may be user error and you need to slide to 100% when necessary. Otherwise, you may have a need for the service center. The battery is warrantied at a 30% drop, if you’re starting with 10% already, not good. But I’m guessing it’s something else.

Last edited:
Pretty much every BEV doesn't meet its EPA goals. And those goals are at 100% charge where we are told to only charge to 80% (at least most of the time). Then...I don't want my next car to be like a Buick (sorry GM but you deserve it). I want to drive quickly like I do now in my PHEV.

To me, the advantage of Lucid is not that it can reach its official range goal...it is that its EPA goal is high enough that after taking 80% and then another 25% (for enjoyable driving), there is still decent range. No one else right now can say that.

Pretty much every BEV doesn't meet its EPA goals. And those goals are at 100% charge where we are told to only charge to 80% (at least most of the time). Then...I don't want my next car to be like a Buick (sorry GM but you deserve it). I want to drive quickly like I do now in my PHEV.

To me, the advantage of Lucid is not that it can reach its official range goal...it is that its EPA goal is high enough that after taking 80% and then another 25% (for enjoyable driving), there is still decent range. No one else right now can say that.
This is pretty much my feeling as well. With easy driving ~300 and ~250 having a bit of fun for a Pure sounds great to me foe my needs.

Anyone who complains about the Lucid’s range should get behind pretty much any other EV out there, especially my Nissan Leaf! Then they will really have something to complain about. Lucid has the most range and is the most efficient car of its size anywhere.

In many ways I'm glad I did not pull the trigger on Model Y a couple of years ago. Back then I really did not consider that actual range are much lower than EPA estimates because my ICE car actual range and EPA estimates are almost on point. 320mi or less EV range wouldve turned inconvenient for me. 400mi+ EPA will be my new range floor. Just waiting for more people to post their actual mi/kWh on their Airs. With Pure/Touring 19" wheels I'm estimating ~3.7 mi/kWh including 75-80mph drives.

3.7mi/kWh * 88kWh = 325mi
~81.5% of range achieved

Consider in 90% battery degradation and 80-15% charge it will still be a very nice 190mi range or 100-10% full charge 265mi for longer trips.

A group of people in UK? did some testing of various EV's mileage. youtube video here

summary of results
1649783297509.png

Estimated Range (mi)
1649783609535.png

Actually, the Taycan and a few other vehicles exceed their EPA range. We can easily get 20-30% more than EPA on our car.

The issue is the test, there is a 2-cycle and a 5-cycle test. The 5 produces "optimistic" results, a lot of the legacy makers are using the 2-cycle, which produces more conservative values.

As far as a full charge showing less than the "expected" number: it should be using heuristic data based on your driving patterns to estimate total distance.

Chris, at the Millbrae service center, told me he has seen several in the 1.x and low 2.x due to the way folks are driving them. He commented by 2.9-3.1 is pretty good for most drivers. However, if you were to just stay on cruise control at 70 MPH, you could definitely hit 90-100% of EPA. (I'd be shocked if you could beat it though)

Last edited:
Can’t say what the Air will give me. On our Leaf we get 3.5 miles /kw. The battery is 40 kw so that is 140 miles or about 93% of the EPA. But….. now the battery is down to almost 85%of capacity so that means we are at 119 miles of actual range on a full charge. We charge to 100% daily (because we need to and there are no settings to change where the charging will stop) and take it down to 20% on many days driving or about 95 miles worth. it’s probably from our experience with the Leaf that we want every bit of range on the Lucid.

Can’t say what the Air will give me. On our Leaf we get 3.5 miles /kw. The battery is 40 kw so that is 140 miles or about 93% of the EPA. But….. now the battery is down to almost 85%of capacity so that means we are at 119 miles of actual range on a full charge. We charge to 100% daily (because we need to and there are no settings to change where the charging will stop) and take it down to 20% on many days driving or about 95 miles worth. it’s probably from our experience with the Leaf that we want every bit of range on the Lucid.
I am one of the Dream drivers who is consistently in the 2.0 mi/kwh. I am just over 1000 miles on the car and I know the reason I'm low is because of the way I'm driving the car. It is very hard for me thus far to avoid having fun with it, especially when a "hot" car pulls alongside and challenges me. I'm trying hard to avoid this behavior on surface roads but when entering the freeway on the onramps it is so easy to just blow them away hitting very high speeds when merging onto the main freeway. Then I just slow down and wave to them as they eventually catch up and pass me. I know its childish but boy is it fun!!

Actually, the Taycan and a few other vehicles exceed their EPA range. We can easily get 20-30% more than EPA on our car.

The issue is the test, there is a 3-cycle and a 5-cycle test. The 5 produces "optimistic" results, a lot of the legacy makers are using the 3-cycle, which produces more conservative values.

As far as a full charge showing less than the "expected" number: it should be using heuristic data based on your driving patterns to estimate total distance.

Chris, at the Millbrae service center, told me he has seen several in the 1.x and low 2.x due to the way folks are driving them. He commented by 2.9-3.1 is pretty good for most drivers. However, if you were to just stay on cruise control at 70 MPH, you could definitely hit 90-100% of EPA. (I'd be shocked if you could beat it though)
2-cycle test, not 3, but otherwise you're dead-on.

The issue is the test, there is a 2-cycle and a 5-cycle test. The 5 produces "optimistic" results, a lot of the legacy makers are using the 2-cycle, which produces more conservative values.

All true.

However, what really matters is how far you can drive between charges. Yes, the Air uses a bigger battery. And yes, the Air uses the more optimistic 5-cycle test in order to hype extraordinary and, for all practical purposes in real-world driving, seldom-attainable range claims.

But the fact remains that, when all is said and done, you can still drive an Air significantly further between charges than you could any other EV in identical conditions. And you can do it in a car with extraordinary power, handling, room, and comfort.

But the fact remains that, when all is said and done, you can still drive an Air significantly further between charges than you could any other EV in identical conditions. And you can do it in a car with extraordinary power, handling, room, and comfort.
👍👍

By driving directly to the Ford dealership and trading in your Lucid for a Ford Focus Electric. Then drive that car slowly.

I plan to enjoy driving my Lucid.

Back