How I fixed my own soft-close door

Ksa23

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT, 21", White/White
For the last two weeks my right rear door did not soft close, and required a pretty heavy push to get it to close. We had family in town so the rear doors were used a lot, and it was a big pain volunteering to be a chauffer.

Today I decided to open and close it rapidly multiple times and it started working again perfectly.

I wonder if I stumbled upon a reset method, and modulating the latch a certain number of times "resets" it just like how pressing the door/light lever in a fridge resets a water filter. I only opened the door a few inches, didn't need to open the full 90 degrees.

For the last two weeks my right rear door did not soft close, and required a pretty heavy push to get it to close. We had family in town so the rear doors were used a lot, and it was a big pain volunteering to be a chauffer.

Today I decided to open and close it rapidly multiple times and it started working again perfectly.

I wonder if I stumbled upon a reset method, and modulating the latch a certain number of times "resets" it just like how pressing the door/light lever in a fridge resets a water filter. I only opened the door a few inches, didn't need to open the full 90 degrees.
Thanks, i'm going to try this as well as my right rear door soft close has never worked

My driver’s-side-rear-passenger door stopped properly soft-closing as well, as of yesterday morning. When I shut the door, it stops at normal location just prior to soft-close, I hear the soft-close mechanism operating, but the door does not close further. I am unable to push the door closed any further at that point. What I have to do is quickly/forcefully close it (a “light” slam) for it to close all the way, completely by-passing/pre-empting the softclose.

I tried the above-suggested “open and close it rapidly multiple times”, but no luck.

Honestly, I’ve never been a big fan of the soft-close anyway, as I‘ve had to adjust my door closing habits versus all the other cars I’ve owned. Would have preferred if it wasn’t an included feature on the AGT…one less thing to potentially (or in my case, actually) fail.

I‘ve reported the matter to customer care.

Try pulling it hard from the inside.

Interesting that the right rear door is an issue for a number of people. Right after I had PPF installed that door also became glitchy for me and wouldn’t stay closed (actually opened by itself a number of times). The PPF shop said it was coincidental and could be related to weather (and possibly water freezing), and given the reports here I don’t think the PPF was the source. I’m finally getting service in town to work on it tomorrow - will report back what they say.

I think I jinxed myself after posting about this rear door earlier. I rechecked the rear door today & tried opening & closing several times to see if it would fix itself but it appears that the soft close is completely non-functional on right rear so I logged a service ticket.

Later we were leaving a store & I noticed the front passenger door showed as open on the 360 view while I was reversing. I asked my wife to open & close the door but it wouldn't open. It also wouldn't open when tried it from the outside...my wife was trapped inside! I had to contact service who had me lean on the door with my side to apply stronger pressure and it then opened. Strange!

I think I jinxed myself after posting about this rear door earlier. I rechecked the rear door today & tried opening & closing several times to see if it would fix itself but it appears that the soft close is completely non-functional on right rear so I logged a service ticket.

Later we were leaving a store & I noticed the front passenger door showed as open on the 360 view while I was reversing. I asked my wife to open & close the door but it wouldn't open. It also wouldn't open when tried it from the outside...my wife was trapped inside! I had to contact service who had me lean on the door with my side to apply stronger pressure and it then opened. Strange!
Did she try the “pull really hard on the trigger to engage the latch manually” approach? That’s the safety open. If that didn’t work, your latch is quite messed up and needs fixing.

Interesting that the right rear door is an issue for a number of people. Right after I had PPF installed that door also became glitchy for me and wouldn’t stay closed (actually opened by itself a number of times). The PPF shop said it was coincidental and could be related to weather (and possibly water freezing), and given the reports here I don’t think the PPF was the source. I’m finally getting service in town to work on it tomorrow - will report back what they say.

Service call here in MN last night from Joel (out of Goose Island) fixed my issue - there was no clear indication of why the door latch was stuck so he basically took the whole assembly apart and replaced everything. Very skilled guy. Lucid is lucky to have him.

Did she try the “pull really hard on the trigger to engage the latch manually” approach? That’s the safety open. If that didn’t work, your latch is quite messed up and needs fixing.
That's a good question...she seemed to pulling pretty hard on the trigger, to the point I said she better stop so it doesn't break, but I don't know how much force she actually used. I wasn't aware that there was a safety open and would have tried giving it an extra hard pull if thats the case.

It was really strange with the door being all thebl way closed and handle flush with the car, but the screen showing the door as being open. Even stranger that leaning hard against the door got it to open.

That's a good question...she seemed to pulling pretty hard on the trigger, to the point I said she better stop so it doesn't break, but I don't know how much force she actually used. I wasn't aware that there was a safety open and would have tried giving it an extra hard pull if thats the case.

It was really strange with the door being all thebl way closed and handle flush with the car, but the screen showing the door as being open. Even stranger that leaning hard against the door got it to open.
According to that First Responder training video someone shared today, the correct procedure is to pull the trigger all the way back, let it go, and then immediately pull it all the way again. It's a two-step thing.

I didn't know this until today.

According to that First Responder training video someone shared today, the correct procedure is to pull the trigger all the way back, let it go, and then immediately pull it all the way again. It's a two-step thing.

I didn't know this until today.
Funny I was about to post the same thing cuz I didn’t see your post. That video is really informative.

I wish it was this simple. I’ve now had 3/4 soft close latch mechanisms replaced. Only the driver’s door has the original latch mechanism on my car. I was told there may be an updated part with which these failing ones are replaced. I’ve had one of them replaced twice.

I have my car going in for service next week to replace passenger side rears door soft close mechanism. Took my local Lucid service center probably 1 1/2 weeks to get the part. I get the sense that this is something they are doing quite a bit of.

There is a tradeoff on a luxury performance EV between features and complexity/weight. As a luxury vehicle people expect all kinds of stuff but that means more things to go wrong and more weight for the motors to move.

Each of us likely have a different idea of what is important and what is not. To me, seating (both comfort and material) is important; having switches and buttons is important so I can adjust features without taking my eyes off the road; a HUD is important (although I have been willing to forego it for the Lucid because the floating display is close to being a HUD); easy entry/exit is important (I am officially old), fitting my golf clubs in the back is important. On the other hand, for me, auto close doors is not important (I have had them in the past and consider them a "nice to have" rather than "important"); automatic lane change is one that I not only consider not important but one I want to be able to permanently disable; auto parking is not important (I am too much of a control freak to ever use it); SXM is important as I listen to it all the time; color is important (I find a dark interior dismal and depressing).

These are my feelings but many will have different ones. The almost impossible challenge for a car company is to design and build a car that has a reasonable compromise on all these types of considerations and some will find the result fine and others will want to move on to other vehicles/companies. Such is modern life.

I had a right cockpit and pilot screen blackout a couple of weeks ago.
This was addressed by a hard re-boot.
I spoke to a Lucid service rep and he said he would like a tech to look at the car.
My right rear door soft close had also stopped working so I added that to the list.
When I spoke to the service adviser at Goose Island to schedule the service, he mentioned there is a service campaign to address the right rear door soft close issue.
Now for a couple of points on scheduling service. For service with a loaner for I had to wait 2 weeks for an appointment. They expect to have the car for 2-3 days. The service advisor asked what was up when I laughed at 2-3 days. My reply was that my Infiniti, Acura and Lexus dealers don't require more than same day for what looks like this quantity of work.

I had a right cockpit and pilot screen blackout a couple of weeks ago.
This was addressed by a hard re-boot.
I spoke to a Lucid service rep and he said he would like a tech to look at the car.
My right rear door soft close had also stopped working so I added that to the list.
When I spoke to the service adviser at Goose Island to schedule the service, he mentioned there is a service campaign to address the right rear door soft close issue.
Now for a couple of points on scheduling service. For service with a loaner for I had to wait 2 weeks for an appointment. They expect to have the car for 2-3 days. The service advisor asked what was up when I laughed at 2-3 days. My reply was that my Infiniti, Acura and Lexus dealers don't require more than same day for what looks like this quantity of work.
I gave it to them (Natick, MA service center) for the afternoon and they fixed the rear soft close door and some other items. Plus a quick detail on the car. Sounds like if they are quoting you 2-3 days they are very backed up or one of the other issues you need addressed takes a lot more time. Hopefully they are going to give you a loaner!

They are definitely backed up (they are still a major regional distribution and service hub).
Some of the issue regarding getting in the shop was my request for a loaner.
Still funny they set expectations to have the car 2-3 days.

Here is a little tip that may save you a return trip to the service center if one of your doors is not soft closing properly. After you have rebooted the car, if your door is still not soft closing properly, then take a video of it not closing properly. I have learned this lesson the hard way because when I first took my AGT in to have its door fixed, they ended up telling me that it worked fine each time they tested the door. Ergo, after inspecting the door, they felt there was nothing wrong with it. A wonderful 2.5-hour drive one way in my Lucid from home wasted. Grrrrrr.

Their service manager suggested that if it happened again, video the malfunction and send it to her. I did this and now will be returning to the service center in early July. She offered to send a flatbed to pickup and return my AGT but I really don’t mind a drive through scenic northwestern Washington so I turned her down. She indicated after watching the video that the problem is either with closing unit and must be replaced or it is a software problem.

To watch the video on YouTube, just click

so ... Lucid likes it rough.

my right rear door won't soft close either. I've been instinctively slamming it because I have the emotional maturity of a toddler.
didn't bother me because I don't enter the car from that door.

another quirk about rear doors:

When I exit the car I move the driver's seat all the way back so I can get my feet out without scuffing the lower door pocket.
Sometimes when I open the driver door the seat is back in my pre-set drive position, so I have to move it back to get in, and then move it manually to my preferred position.

Then one day I noticed the driver seat moving forward when I opened the rear door. It only seems to do this if you open the rear door before you open the drivers door. Ha!

Solution to rear door problems: never use the rear doors.

another tip: if you have a floor jack so you can change your own wheels you don't need to have your car towed to a service center to have new TPMS programming, just put a piece of black vinyl tape over that annoying light! I learned this from my Volvo that had an annoying Czech engine.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: DJL
Back