home charging question

steveairgt

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Referral Code
83YOVHQD
For those of you who are using the mobile connector/cable to charge, how are you mounting that on your wall?

For my Tesla I have a Tesla wall mount that allows me to wrap the cable around it.

The Lucid cable is a lot thicker. Thanks

It is not a direct answer to your question but one needs to wrap the cables "loosely".
What I am using now looks like this. I'm just wondering what others do.

Attachments

• tslaMnt.JPG
    tslaMnt.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 89
How much of a loop and how long your cards are are dependent upon the cord length and stiffness.

Lucid uses a J1772 which is what almost everyone except Tesla uses so almost any will work.

For those of you who are using the mobile connector/cable to charge, how are you mounting that on your wall?

For my Tesla I have a Tesla wall mount that allows me to wrap the cable around it.

The Lucid cable is a lot thicker. Thanks
The Lucid cable comes with a wall mount bracket. It's just a plastic hook but should work.

Attachments

• Lucid Charging Cable.pdf
    169.1 KB · Views: 227
Can someone ELI5, The difference between all these different power supply things?

If I have a 14-50 on a 50A breaker...do I just use the thing that comes with the car or do I need a wall mounted box? (Ignoring powering my home with the upcoming Lucid box).

Can someone ELI5, The difference between all these different power supply things?

If I have a 14-50 on a 50A breaker...do I just use the thing that comes with the car or do I need a wall mounted box? (Ignoring powering my home with the upcoming Lucid box).
The ‘thing‘ that comes with the car is a mobile EVSE (Electric vehicle supply equipment). It is commonly called a charger, although the charger is really the wonderbox that is inside the car. They just supply AC power to the car charger at whatever voltage and amperage the unit can deliver. You can use that mobile unit just fine. It will work just as well in a NEMA 14-50 plug on a 50 amp circuit as any wall mounted unit you can buy. There is a wall mount and cable storage hook which comes with it. That is the most cost effective way to go.

That said, there are reasons others might buy a separate wall unit:
  • They want to have timed charging as the car cannot be programmed (for example, to charge from 12-6a)
  • They want a smart charger which can keep track of the charging or which can be activated remotely
  • They want a unit that can be mounted outdoors in weather, and might be secure from others using it.
  • They want the mobile unit as a spare (it is a pretty critical piece of equipment)
  • They like to keep the mobile unit in the car for trips or emergencies
  • you have two cars and need two units
  • and other reasons…

Thanks. I wonder if that hook is large enough to wrap/coil about 20 feet of that thick cable.

Back