Hey, look, another fair European review!

xponents

Cars
Kia EV9, future Air?
Not a full review but the Lucid did win a Car Magazine comparison with the BMW I5:

For any of you that don't know, Car is one of the two major UK auto magazines (the other being "Top Gear").

Interesting that they say the gear (motor?) whine in the American models has been addressed in the European models. Personally, I like the whine, but I do wonder if anything has changed or if this observation is just the result of not doing a head-to-head comparison at the same time?

The section on how the Lucid drives should be mandatory training for reviewers at "Edmunds" on how properly to test a car's handling, not nonsense such as putting large sedans on 19" all-season tires up against two-seat sports car on beefy summer rubber and then pronouncing the sedan "not up to class standards".

Not a full review but the Lucid did win a Car Magazine comparison with the BMW I5:

For any of you that don't know, Car is one of the two major UK auto magazines (the other being "Top Gear").

I remember buying copies of “CAR” back when I was a teenager in the 70s. Back in those days the magazine itself was printed on newsprint instead of glossy paper. I couldn’t afford a subscription as such in those days, so I’d content myself with buying an occasional copy at our local “news agency”…

Sorry. Lost in nostalgic reverie there for a moment.

The writing was captivating, very nicely done. I find it interesting that they elected to give Lucid a pass on fob issues, software quirks, quality of the nav offering, etc. I'm absolutely glad they focused on the essentials of driving, performance and comfort, but this might be the first review I've seen that completely glossed over the things which routinely seem to drive people batty. Great article, no complaints here, I'm just curious if they didn't experience those things or elected not to cover them in the article as they weren't deemed noteworthy?

The section on how the Lucid drives should be mandatory training for reviewers at "Edmunds" on how properly to test a car's handling, not nonsense such as putting large sedans on 19" all-season tires up against two-seat sports car on beefy summer rubber and then pronouncing the sedan "not up to class standards".
Edmunds' disdain for the car confuses me. It's almost like they're resentful that they chose to spend money buying it. Their ability to ignore how spectacularly well it drives, something that is pretty well agreed upon by most people who appreciate performance and handling, instead focusing on a series of software issues (many of which have since been fixed, which, to their credit, they have referenced in more recent reviews/updates), build quality issues (also resolves afaik), and general dislike of the whole package - is just baffling.

Interesting that they say the gear (motor?) whine in the American models has been addressed in the European models. Personally, I like the whine, but I do wonder if anything has changed or if this observation is just the result of not doing a head-to-head comparison at the same time?

Edmunds reviewer was more concerned about his butt feeling cozy in the back seat of a BMW i7…..and so, dismissed the Lucid.

The writing was captivating, very nicely done. I find it interesting that they elected to give Lucid a pass on fob issues, software quirks, quality of the nav offering, etc. I'm absolutely glad they focused on the essentials of driving, performance and comfort, but this might be the first review I've seen that completely glossed over the things which routinely seem to drive people batty. Great article, no complaints here, I'm just curious if they didn't experience those things or elected not to cover them in the article as they weren't deemed noteworthy?
Maybe they were just looking at the engineering and packaging. These other issues can be easily fixed, engineering can’t.

One minor error in the review. I think there might be a thread about this somewhere:
"Connectivity to Apple CarPlay and Android Auto is a given."

Maybe they were just looking at the engineering and packaging. These other issues can be easily fixed, engineering can’t.
And...if we are to be informed consumers...we need to read all the reviews to reach a balanced perspective (balanced in terms of our individual priorities). Edmunds did identify some real issues which as noted Car Magazine ignored; on the other hand, Edmunds ignored handling and Car focused on it. Put the two together and one can make a decision based on what is important to each of us (and that can vary by external factors: for example living in close proximity to a service center may be important to some buyers and not to others).

And...if we are to be informed consumers...we need to read all the reviews to reach a balanced perspective (balanced in terms of our individual priorities). Edmunds did identify some real issues which as noted Car Magazine ignored; on the other hand, Edmunds ignored handling and Car focused on it. Put the two together and one can make a decision based on what is important to each of us (and that can vary by external factors: for example living in close proximity to a service center may be important to some buyers and not to others).
90% of Edmunds’ “issues” can be resolved with a single mobile service visit. But they’d have to actually call service instead of just writing articles about how the car needs service.

I'm a motor "whine afficianado" too :D

Am I correct in assuming that they do not really sell an 88 kWh Pure AWD in Europe? They have it listed here as though they do, albeit not with the 92 kWh battery that is in the US Pure AWD's.

Back