Has There Always Been Anger At EV Owners?

MPawelek

Cars
None
First let me say that I am a born Texan and have always realized how important the oil and gas industry is to the economy.

One of my favorite places in Texas is Big Bend National Park and I have been going there since 1961. On a web site for the park area last night I asked about EV charging and received many answers. Most were positive but I was shocked at some of the down right nasty comments about EV’s. This site has over 23k members from all over the planet and the terse language was not coming from the locals. They need the business.

I had heard of Tesla’s being keyed but personally did not know that this attitude towards EV’s was really true.
Are any of you a tiny bit worried about having your Air damaged by some of these knuckleheads?

Yes, but @$$holes will b e @$$holes no matter what. So why worry!

First let me say that I am a born Texan and have always realized how important the oil and gas industry is to the economy.

One of my favorite places in Texas is Big Bend National Park and I have been going there since 1961. On a web site for the park area last night I asked about EV charging and received many answers. Most were positive but I was shocked at some of the down right nasty comments about EV’s. This site has over 23k members from all over the planet and the terse language was not coming from the locals. They need the business.

I had heard of Tesla’s being keyed but personally did not know that this attitude towards EV’s was really true.
Are any of you a tiny bit worried about having your Air damaged by some of these knuckleheads?
No.

I’m not worried about it, but sadly it does happen a lot all around the world really. That’s why so many wish to have a sentry mode type of ability - it helps reduce that problem. But no, not concerned.

People talk about anger against EV owners by being ICEd out at EV charging stations, but I have found that the most common reason they are blocked is that other EV owners (mostly Teslas, because there are just more of them I would guess) think they are entitled to a parking space even though they are not taking a charge.

There have been several ways hostility to EVs has manifested: gangs of pickups blocking charging stations; slicing charge cables (mostly at Tesla Superchargers); coal rolling. (I've personally experienced coal rolling in south Florida, but not in the past couple of years.) However, reports of these incidents seem to have receded over time.

What I am seeing more recently is real curiosity about and enthusiasm for EVs from people who are often stereotyped as oil-heads. My barber, who is a dyed-in-the-wool GM fan, is looking forward to getting GM's upcoming EV pickup. My landscaper saw our Air and wanted to photograph it and know everything about it. The tire shop that handles tire changes on our Teslas always needs to do a" road test" after a tire change, something they somehow never see the need to do with our ICE vehicles.

What I am seeing more recently is real curiosity about and enthusiasm for EVs from people who are often stereotyped as oil-heads. My barber, who is a dyed-in-the-wool GM fan, is looking forward to getting GM's upcoming EV pickup. My landscaper saw our Air and wanted to photograph it and know everything about it. The tire shop that handles tire changes on our Teslas always needs to do a" road test" after a tire change, something they somehow never see the need to do with our ICE vehicles.
I've been seeing that enthusiasm build as well. I was a die-hard ICE fan for a long time simply because EV's hadn't yet created the driving experience I was after, though I have deep admiration for Tesla and other EV makers that have really pushed this transition along. Once I got in the Air, I knew I'd never go back, and a lot of friends have also begun to make the same change.

We've been long past the tipping points to EVs, but those signs are only just now becoming obvious as the trend accelerates.

There has been growing distain for EVs especially due to lobbying. For example, West Virginia is trying to outlaw OTAs in favor of lobbying from dealerships and others who profit off of on-site visits. As a result, there has been a lot of widespread misinformation about EVs and their impact on the US Economy and beyond.

The good thing is that the kind of knuckleheads who do this probably don't know about Lucid, and therefore might not assume it is an EV. Tesla bears the brunt of anti EV sentiment. That said I have never experienced this kind of thing, either in my Tesla or in my Mercedes.

The good thing is that the kind of knuckleheads who do this probably don't know about Lucid, and therefore might not assume it is an EV. Tesla bears the brunt of anti EV sentiment. That said I have never experienced this kind of thing, either in my Tesla or in my Mercedes.

My fiancée experienced resentment only once so far, but it was actually at an EV show, and it was the “ugh, how many people here do you think can afford one of these, why would you even bring it here” type comments from an aggressively angry lady - which is amusing for a few reasons:

1) I sincerely am excited about future cheaper models, but the tech has gotta start somewhere, and it ain’t cheap at first. Not to mention this was in freaking Palo Alto where, realistically, 80% of the people there could have afforded the GT and nearly 100% could have afforded the Pure.

2) Both my fiancée and I grew up extremely impoverished; we’re talking “her roof was falling down on the regular and they simply slept under open air for months at a time” and “I’m the son of Ukrainian/Belarusian immigrants and have been working since I was 12 to help put food on the table because otherwise there wouldn’t be any.”

3) My daily driver before this was a used 2012 Mazda 3 and hers was a used 2012 Kia Sorento, lol. Both cars we love, but not exactly “rich” cars.

I have also found that a number of people who ask about the Lucid have *no idea* it’s an EV, and are surprised to hear it’s full-electric. Then they hear the range and are taken aback at how reasonable it is.

Prices will come down with time for EVs, but I wish I could wear a sign that said “not a trust fund baby” sometimes, lol.

There have been several ways hostility to EVs has manifested: gangs of pickups blocking charging stations; slicing charge cables (mostly at Tesla Superchargers); coal rolling. (I've personally experienced coal rolling in south Florida, but not in the past couple of years.) However, reports of these incidents seem to have receded over time.

I'm sure that the $5-$6 cost of gasoline is also helping. And with the Ford F-150 and other trucks from the big 3 coming out with their own, I think acceptance will rise even more quickly over the next couple of years.

I'm sure that the $5-$6 cost of gasoline is also helping. And with the Ford F-150 and other trucks from the big 3 coming out with their own, I think acceptance will rise even more quickly over the next couple of years.

I have been astounded by the rate of increase in EVs we're seeing in southwest Florida. People where I live have long drives to get most places and have long work commutes. Teslas (mostly 3's and Y's -- and mostly white) are popping up everywhere, especially in commuter traffic. We often see 2-3 at a traffic light and several in any good-sized parking lot. And now we're seeing a growing mix of MachE's, Ioniq 5's, ID.4's, and EV6's. My guess is that relatively few people down here don't have an EV owner somewhere in their extended family or circle of acquaintances.

Where I live in CA, some people think I am the spawn of Satan for driving an ICE. Lol

Sonoma County. A few years ago my friend had a letter placed on the windshield of his 911 at a Whole Foods telling him that he is ruining the world with his car. 😂
…on a 911? I mean, a Prius or lifted truck I can understand, but a 911?

I wish people could just chill, lol. Too many people take too many things too seriously.
Easier to chill in a state where weed is legal
😌

Back