Gravity Spec coming Oct 3 ?

I don't think that would be a good idea....they need to get Gravity Pure out as soon as they can, not drag it out like the Air. With Air they had supply chain issues, first model, learning curve etc. No excuses with the Gravity.
They still have excuses to use. They are a fledgling startup with sales similar to McLaren in the US. You cant blame them if they don’t have access to supply like the big dogs.

My overall take on the article plus Peter's prior statements leads me to a few conclusions:

1) The first trim will be the GT.

2) The second trim (not right out of the gate but probably very soon after release) will be the Touring.

3) If they are starting with the GT, there probably won't be a Dream edition...unless they are trying to slot that in later between the GT and the Sapphire. Honestly though, it would simplify manufacturing to have fewer trim levels and option packages which would be another reason the Dream edition may be on the cutting room floor.

4) There most likely will be a Gravity Sapphire eventually (2026?)...but I doubt they want to confirm that at this point in time. Lucid does like to outdo the competition with their technology tour de force. That being said, they also probably don't want any early GT sales cannibalized by buyers sitting on the sidelines waiting for the Sapphire--and most (or all) of their engineers are probably scrambling to get the mid-size done on time (and rightly so).

5) The Pure will come out last and that will be the $80K model (as Peter implied previously).

6) And now for some real fun predictions: price! Based on the cheapest Air being 70k and the cheapest Gravity being 80K, it wouldn't surprise me if the pricing for the trims is roughly the Air price plus about $10k at each trim level.... so for the GT, I'm predicting a starting price around $120k and about $90k for the Touring. I guess we'll know for sure in a few days!

3) If they are starting with the GT, there probably won't be a Dream edition...unless they are trying to slot that in later between the GT and the Sapphire.

Agree, sadly. And since they ceased production of the Air GT Performance that spanned the gap between the GT and the Sapphire, I doubt if they'll try to fill that gap in the Gravity lineup.

4) There most likely will be a Gravity Sapphire eventually (2026?)...but I doubt they want to confirm that at this point in time.l know for sure in a few days!

This phrasing in the "Motor Trend" article struck me as odd: "The team is still thinking about what to do on the performance side so no announcement on an Air Sapphire-matching Gravity . . . ." Granted those were the authors words and not from Bach himself, but it suggested the possibility of something I had posted about months ago, i. e.:

The Gravity does not seem suited for the hard-core track tuning and track vibes of the Air Sapphire. Maybe this "still thinking about what to do on the performance side" will lead to a tri-motor Gravity that ups the performance ante but will stay more in line with the cargo/family mission of the Gravity cosmetically. The Air took on the muscular bulges of the Sapphire with aplomb. I'm not sure the Gravity could take them on without looking a bit odd, maybe even Munster-mobile-ish.

If a more cloned descendant of the Air Sapphire were in the works, it would have been easy just to say it will follow in due course, not say they are still thinking about what to do?

They ain’t gonna sell many if the cheapest version starts at $80k and the one available first with all the goodies is $120k+.

To expect a full-size electric SUV with the Gravity Pure's likely specs and features to come in under $80k is just not realistic these days if the company expects to turn a profit on them. It was one thing to eat losses on the Air while the brand was so new and the company so burdened with start-up costs. If they can't start to turn a modicum of profit on the Gravity, there will have been no point in even trying to get it to market.

As a new company without a brand heritage behind them, Lucid is more dependent on positive press coverage to get exposure for their product. This militates toward getting the longest-range, highest-powered, most fully-featured version to market first. Also, should there be any unforeseen issues with early-production Gravities, it's better to have them in the hands of fewer early adopters than in the hands of families depending on them as daily haulers.

They could build a Saphire type or they could go more off-road with a Raptor type vehicle. The Gravity does not readily fit either mold (track performance or off-road performance).
I take the thought process as figuring which way to move, performance wise, that will provide more press and/or greater brand expansion.

Great Point! If the Ford Escape and Nissan Rogue are FWD, makes total sense for Lucid’s $80k+ luxury/performance SUV to follow in those legendary footsteps.
Yeah, maybe I should have gone up market. I'd argue that the Gravity will be in a class by itself. If moving max people or cargo in comfort within a compact form is the goal, the closest comparison is a Ford Flex, which was roughly the same length, was offered with FWD and AWD, had a towing capacity, and wasn't as upright as a minivan. Not an Escalade or GX or Defender, those are all gussied up trucks with a different intent. It's going to be better than a Lexus RX and Merc GLB though, which are the closest FWD competitors I can think of near that price, minus the mandatory ~$25k-$30k EV premium of today's market.

The point is that they all fall under the SUV umbrella, i.e. sporty and having utility, but aren't marketed the same way.

I'd argue that the Gravity will be in a class by itself.

Me, too. I've seen it in the flesh twice, and it doesn't fit into any current category. It's lower and sleeker than any SUV but has the door configuration and light off-roading capability of one (Rivians and Range Rovers excepted). It's got the passenger and cargo space of a minivan (and then some when you include the frunk). From certain angles it could almost pass for a Dodge Magnum station wagon. By all accounts thus far, it will out handle any station wagon, any minivan, and maybe any SUV (depending on how if fares against the Cayenne and Urus, which Rawlinson said were its benchmarks). The Gravity's closest antecedent in the styling department was the Mercedes R Class, another vehicle which defied categorization (but didn't look as good as the Gravity).

I think Lucid has dubbed the Gravity an SUV for marketing reasons. They surely know that it is its own animal . . . and a beautiful one at that.

The vehicle in the video had "Dream Edition" inside and out. I doubt this was an accident. Dream Edition will be coming
The car was hand built with individually made parts. It definitely does not imply there will be a production version.

The car was hand built with individually made parts. It definitely does not imply there will be a production version.

The sequence of photos and videos that Lucid releases during development contain all kinds of clues that many parts of the vehicle, no matter how seemingly inconsequential, undergo changes throughout the development.

For example, even the method for pulling down the second-row center armrest seems to have changed between the L.A. Auto show and now, with a strap having given way to a bulge on the side of the armrest as the "handle":

Screenshot 2024-09-22 at 10.19.14 AM.webp

Screenshot 2024-09-21 at 3.05.51 PM.webp

To expect a full-size electric SUV with the Gravity Pure's likely specs and features to come in under $80k is just not realistic these days if the company expects to turn a profit on them. It was one thing to eat losses on the Air while the brand was so new and the company so burdened with start-up costs. If they can't start to turn a modicum of profit on the Gravity, there will have been no point in even trying to get it to market.

As a new company without a brand heritage behind them, Lucid is more dependent on positive press coverage to get exposure for their product. This militates toward getting the longest-range, highest-powered, most fully-featured version to market first. Also, should there be any unforeseen issues with early-production Gravities, it's better to have them in the hands of fewer early adopters than in the hands of families depending on them as daily haulers.
That’s kind of my point - competing on price with the established brands with the heritage behind them when you are unproven and rely on early adopters is a tough sell at that price point. Maybe they should have copied Lexus by offering more than the current names and undercut the price so the decision is much easier. There is a super limited number of people willing to plunk down that kind of cash on a brand that is new and might or might not make it, with all of their systems still unproven over the long term, when they cost as much or more than the known quantities already available. It’s the same exact issue the Air had when launching - too high of a price point to start. Unless selling 8k a year is the goal, which it isn’t.

By all accounts thus far, it will out handle any station wagon, any minivan, and maybe any SUV (depending on how if fares against the Cayenne and Urus...
Wonder when the "First Drive" reviews will trickle out. Also if they'll offer leases. At least 10 days from now I'll have a big piece of the picture. It's still larger than I'd prefer but if they have ~3yr leases it could help bridge to when R2S's and Earth's are for sale. I've never had a 400mi range EV. That part would be awesome.

They ain’t gonna sell many if the cheapest version starts at $80k and the one available first with all the goodies is $120k+.

Yeah, that's my thoughts as well. This is Lucid's make-or-break vehicle, and I wonder if they will sell enough of them to meet their ramping necessity. I look at Rivian with their R1's and how they only move 50K units a year and think there can't be much more of a market for the Gravity. The R1S is the best-selling vehicle at the price point, yet Rivian still needs to offer attractive financing and leasing deals to ensure they hit sales targets. Rivian is betting on a car starting at 45K, a much larger market. Even if the driving dynamics are the best on the market, there simply aren't enough buyers looking to drop 120K and the competition at that price point is significant.

I'd gladly buy a well-equipped Gravity for $90-110K.
I've built similarly priced versions of X7, GLS and R1S (never considered, too ugly for me).
Without Lucid Gravity, I wouldn't be in the market for an EV SUV. Everything else is simply, "meh".

Darn, even the announcement announcement didn't stick.

I like the look of the R1S. They're selling well in central Oregon. Aimed at different customers. Once it does ship, I'm sure the Gravity will have better highway experience.

The only other EV SUV that will be in the vicinity of the Gravity in terms of both range and interior space is the Cadillac Escalade EV. It will start at $127,700, and one equipped as pictured on the Cadillac website goes for $159.420 -- so over $30,000 of options.

Just sayin' . . . .

Give it a year and by the end of 2025 incentives will sky-high, because at $140k (with options) it won't sell in significant quantities:
  • They are having difficulties selling the Pure at $60k, and it's such a great car.
  • When you go against the Germans, it's a hard prop. At $120k you are in Cayenne territory and it's hard to argue with that.
  • The economy will probably take a dive.
Sure, there will be an initial surge of enthusiasts - a couple thousands, like ourselves - and then it will die down fast. The lease will become an amazing deal, again, as the company is struggling to move metal.

Another thing that worries me is the abysmal software QC. Doesn't bother me that much, because I'm a nerd and I love driving, etc. But Gravity's target market and mission is different than Air's, you will have non-nerds buying this. And when those cameras will start failing, door handles not popping out, etc, the word will spread fast.

Air got a pass from most people & journalists because it's so great to drive and pretty much a niche product. Gravity is a different thing and won't get away with the tons of issues that Air has. All that needs to happen is for Consumer Report or KBB to recommend against it, and it's hard to come back from that.

I really, REALLY, want this brand to succeed. I will get the Gravity early-mid 2026. But the headwinds are significant, if I were a betting man I would say they won't survive beyond 2026 w/o an M&A. It's just not enough market for this price category, and their "lower" priced cars will come too late.

Back