Gravity Software Past, Present, and Future Interview w/ Emad Dlala

outofspeckyle

New Member

Joined
Dec 10, 2024
Messages
8
Reaction score
140
Cars
Renault Twizy
Hi all

I shot a video with Emad to discuss the past, present, and future of the Gravity software situation. It's chapterized so you can skip my intro and get right into the intro just after about 6 minutes. It's well worth a listen to anyone who owns a Gravity or is thinking about getting one.

Big thanks to Emad / Andrew / Nick and Lucid for arranging this open and candid chat about the problems and the fixes. Enjoy!

Kyle

 
Wow, great interview. He exudes confidence which is contagious...now I feel much better that Lucid has a solid roadmap ahead. (Now put Camp Mode out! lol)
 
Emad mentions that Lucid has received certifications for Car Play and Android Auto for Gravity. I hope that means we will not see long delays in the rollout for both like we saw on Air. Overall, I find the message from Emad to be excellent.
 
Great video and agree with you @outofspeckyle about the rarity of execs at this level being so open and candid about the challenges faced. Personally, I think videos like this resonate well with owners whose issues are acknowledged and told what's fixed and coming in the near future. People can often have a little more patience when they know fixes are imminent etc.

Sounds like the next OTA is about 6 to 8 weeks away but if they're going to be packed full of updates like the last one that seems more than reasonable.
 
This is how you get informed owners and build more engagement and enthusiasm. Much respect to Emad for buckling in and deep diving into the hard work needed to get things right and mad respect to you for giving that work a voice.
 
Emad mentions that Lucid has received certifications for Car Play and Android Auto for Gravity. I hope that means we will not see long delays in the rollout for both like we saw on Air. Overall, I find the message from Emad to be excellent.
And I hope they do the full car integration with Android Auto that allows it communicate SOC% so it can calculate arrival SOC%. That's been available for 2 years and some automakers (like Porsche) still don't do it. My (previous) Mach-E had that over a year ago. Our Macan still doesn't.
 
Spectacular interview. Emad exudes passion for this, and it's contagious. I'm very excited to see where this heads.
 
Thanks for getting this out so fast! Great interview and I love that they are listening and reading here and the work they are putting in is definitely paying off! We see you Lucid and appreciate it!

Btw @outofspeckyle i anticipate taking the road trip Saturday to your event, so I’ll have about 600 miles of butt in seat experience on this software to share!
 
Hi all

I shot a video with Emad to discuss the past, present, and future of the Gravity software situation. It's chapterized so you can skip my intro and get right into the intro just after about 6 minutes. It's well worth a listen to anyone who owns a Gravity or is thinking about getting one.

Big thanks to Emad / Andrew / Nick and Lucid for arranging this open and candid chat about the problems and the fixes. Enjoy!

Kyle

Thanks very much for making & posting Kyle ! It’s very reassuring that the team have strong leadership and are focused on the issues! I love the fact that he specifically mentioned CarPlay is on the way!
 
Hi all

I shot a video with Emad to discuss the past, present, and future of the Gravity software situation. It's chapterized so you can skip my intro and get right into the intro just after about 6 minutes. It's well worth a listen to anyone who owns a Gravity or is thinking about getting one.

Big thanks to Emad / Andrew / Nick and Lucid for arranging this open and candid chat about the problems and the fixes. Enjoy!

Kyle

Thank you so much for this great video. I really appreciate it. As an Air owner since this 1.0.X software days, I know the pain of early releases. As Gravity software improves I will hopefully add one to my garage.
 
Thanks for getting this out so fast! Great interview and I love that they are listening and reading here and the work they are putting in is definitely paying off! We see you Lucid and appreciate it!

Btw @outofspeckyle i anticipate taking the road trip Saturday to your event, so I’ll have about 600 miles of butt in seat experience on this software to share!
If you don't mind saying, what's the Saturday event?
I'm not that far from their new test track and I've been looking for a reason to check out the facility if allowed.
 
If you don't mind saying, what's the Saturday event?
I'm not that far from their new test track and I've been looking for a reason to check out the facility if allowed.

Ionna's 2nd birthday
they are having half off charge rates (20 cents) at all Ionna chargers and most will have giveaways and some will have influencers

 
Ionna's 2nd birthday
they are having half off charge rates (20 cents) at all Ionna chargers and most will have giveaways and some will have influencers

Ahhh. I do recall reading about that.
I didn't read the details.
Thank you for the info.

I've been to the Virginia location.
It's a small section of a Wawa parking lot, but something is better than nothing.
Not that far off Interstate 95, so good for travelers.

Not sure I'll go to the Virginia event or the one by OoS.
I've been keeping my Gravity off the road with all the snow, ice, and chemicals.
 
Ahhh. I do recall reading about that.
I didn't read the details.
Thank you for the info.

I've been to the Virginia location.
It's a small section of a Wawa parking lot, but something is better than nothing.
Not that far off Interstate 95, so good for travelers.

Not sure I'll go to the Virginia event or the one by OoS.
I've been keeping my Gravity off the road with all the snow, ice, and chemicals.
In the OoS video, he also brought up the possibility of them doing something at the track on Sunday. I have to head back home, so I won’t be able to make that part if they do, but maybe you should keep an eye on it if you are interested.
 
When Diala says hypervisors are a new technology, I sure hope he means they're just new to Lucid. Hypervisors have been around for decades, and for QNX, running Android in a hypervisor has been around for at least a decade. Let's hope the Qualcomm chip is up to running everything they're throwing at it.

Also, his claim that Lucid Gravity is the first to have "Ethernet Gateways" in vehicles is wrong. Karma's Revero had Broad-R-Reach back in 2017, and I'm sure there have been other cars with them as well. Maybe he means used on a widespread scale, because historically there have been very few ECUs that supported ethernet for connectivity, and CAN bus still reigns supreme.
 
Last edited:
When Diala says hypervisors are a new technology, I sure hope he means they're just new to Lucid. Hypervisors have been around for decades, and for QNX, running Android in a hypervisor has been around for at least a decade. Let's hope the Qualcomm chip is up to running everything they're throwing at it.
He is aware hypervisors are not a new technology and have existed for a long time.
 
He is aware hypervisors are not a new technology and have existed for a long time.
OK, but that's not what he actually said - here's the link cued:

"we had to use hypervisors to allow for isolation of the systems, which is somewhat a new technology."

Then again, maybe I'm just grumpy since my car still thinks 3.3.22 is "up to date."
 
OK, but that's not what he actually said - here's the link cued:

"we had to use hypervisors to allow for isolation of the systems, which is somewhat a new technology."

Then again, maybe I'm just grumpy since my car still thinks 3.3.22 is "up to date."
I took it to mean, it was “new” at the time they were designing Air. They did start about 15 years ago or so designing it. Perhaps it was new in use to autos back then? Just speculating…
 
Back
Top