Gravity Launch

Nice discussion going on here guys. Just a friendly reminder, if you really would like to debate about the future of the company and Saudi this or that etc, take it to a different thread. Anymore posts about that after this will be deleted.

I've watched every YouTube video, pored over most of the comments, and read every article I could find on the Gravity since its reveal on Thursday, and I'm nearing the point of sleep deprivation. Despite the usual dose of misinformation about specs and vehicle details -- even those Lucid has announced -- it is obvious that all the major auto journalists and auto channels are closely watching the Gravity and cheering on the company.

Lucid may have a real hit on its hands. The responses to the vehicle have been overwhelmingly positive -- more so than with the Air's debut, as positive as those early responses tended to be.

Even some perennial Lucid bashers have been tempered in their criticism. "The Electric Viking", who is very antipathetic to Rawlinson as a business leader and flashes constant warning signals of Lucid's imminent demise, was quite impressed by the Gravity. And one of the most extreme of the Lucid bashers, "Tailosive", could not help but give a few complimentary nods to the Gravity. (When you see a commentator on a set surrounded by Tesla flags, banners, and semi truck models, you pretty much know what you're up against in the objectivity department.)

After a series of pullbacks from sales predictions of the Air, this is all balm to my stock-holding soul.

I've watched every YouTube video, pored over most of the comments, and read every article I could find on the Gravity since its reveal on Thursday, and I'm nearing the point of sleep deprivation. Despite the usual dose of misinformation about specs and vehicle details -- even those Lucid has announced -- it is obvious that all the major auto journalists and auto channels are closely watching the Gravity and cheering on the company.

Lucid may have a real hit on its hands. The responses to the vehicle have been overwhelmingly positive -- more so than with the Air's debut, as positive as those early responses tended to be.

Even some perennial Lucid bashers have been tempered in their criticism. "The Electric Viking", who is very antipathetic to Rawlinson as a business leader and flashes constant warning signals of Lucid's imminent demise, was quite impressed by the Gravity. And one of the most extreme of the Lucid bashers, "Tailosive", could not help but give a few complimentary nods to the Gravity. (When you see a commentator on a set surrounded by Tesla flags, banners, and semi truck models, you pretty much know what you're up against in the objectivity department.)

After a series of pullbacks from sales predictions of the Air, this is all balm to my stock-holding soul.
Haven't seen a single person hate the gravity as a car, just people saying that Lucid will "die anyways" because of the Saudis. We have a hit on our hands...

Haven't seen a single person hate the gravity as a car, just people saying that Lucid will "die anyways" because of the Saudis. We have a hit on our hands...

Well , you missed Warren Redlich, who showed up in the "Tailosive" comments with his usual Tesla-shilling nonsense. Apparently, though, even he has not yet managed to fabricate enough disinformation on the Gravity to pull a video together. But I'm pretty sure the wait won't be too long.

In some ways it is kind of better that the SUV is the second product.
Lucid punched above their weight with the Air.
There were some real learnings that were brought forward in the Gravity.
I am not an SUV person so I can't really opine on it
Let's see how the order book goes.

I am not an SUV person so I can't really opine on it.

I'm not an SUV person, either, but after two Honda Odysseys I've definitely become a minivan person.

I think Lucid has struck a brilliant balance between the two. The only thing I will miss about our Odyssey is the sliding rear doors, but it's more than a fair trade to pick up all-wheel drive and the power/handling of the Gravity.

Does anyone know what the maximum ground clearance will be with the adjustable suspension?

I'm not an SUV person, either, but after two Honda Odysseys I've definitely become a minivan person.

I think Lucid has struck a brilliant balance between the two. The only thing I will miss about our Odyssey is the sliding rear doors, but it's more than a fair trade to pick up all-wheel drive and the power/handling of the Gravity.
It's not as bad as first look. Because the Gravity's doors can open a full 90 degrees and the sliding second row they've introduced is integrated on rails, the ingress/egress from the 2nd row is very very similar almost identical to my Odyssey. I'm very pleased as this was the main issue with SUVs particularly in direct comparison with the EX90 which was terrible.

It's not as bad as first look. Because the Gravity's doors can open a full 90 degrees and the sliding second row they've introduced is integrated on rails, the ingress/egress from the 2nd row is very very similar almost identical to my Odyssey. I'm very pleased as this was the main issue with SUVs particularly in direct comparison with the EX90 which was terrible.
If I may ask, what specifically did you find terrible about the EX90?(other than the fact that the ev9 beats the shit out of it at 20k less)

Also, did you hear any rumors about any potential ideas they had for moving the 2nd row out of the way? Last I heard, they were still thinking of ways it could move.

Did anybody try out the switches below the new "pilot panel?" Are they still jiggly as in the air?

I couldn't do a minivan, even though their usefulness is undeniable
When our kids were young I had a Volvo 850R wagon with the third row seating and roof racks
Hoping the Gravity becomes the defacto soccer practice hauler in affluent suburbs across the US

If I may ask, what specifically did you find terrible about the EX90?(other than the fact that the ev9 beats the shit out of it at 20k less)

Also, did you hear any rumors about any potential ideas they had for moving the 2nd row out of the way? Last I heard, they were still thinking of ways it could move.

Did anybody try out the switches below the new "pilot panel?" Are they still jiggly as in the air?
Getting in and out of the 3rd row was hard. There isn't as much space to step up and in or down and out as the Gravity has. Also the footwell is not as deep.

I couldn't do a minivan, even though their usefulness is undeniable
When our kids were young I had a Volvo 850R wagon with the third row seating and roof racks
Hoping the Gravity becomes the defacto soccer practice hauler in affluent suburbs across the US
What happened to the beautiful 850?

It's not as bad as first look. Because the Gravity's doors can open a full 90 degrees and the sliding second row they've introduced is integrated on rails, the ingress/egress from the 2nd row is very very similar almost identical to my Odyssey.

I don't have any worry about ingress and egress with the doors fully open. My issue is getting older passengers in and out of the rear when in a parking space next to other cars with those long doors. It will often mean loading/unloading before pulling into the space, and that can take a bit of time and block the traffic that often jams Florida parking lots and restaurant entrances at dinnertime, which is one of our most frequent outings with friends.

It's much less an issue in the Odyssey. Even though the Odyssey is larger than our Air, we can load and unload the rear of the Odyssey while in a parking space more often than we can when using the Air.

I don't have any worry about ingress and egress with the doors fully open. My issue is getting older passengers in and out of the rear when in a parking space next to other cars with those long doors. It will often mean loading/unloading before pulling into the space, and that can take a bit of time and block the traffic that often jams Florida parking lots and restaurant entrances at dinnertime, which is one of our most frequent outings with friends.

It's much less an issue in the Odyssey. Even though the Odyssey is larger than our Air, we can load and unload the rear of the Odyssey while in a parking space more often than we can when using the Air.
Makes sense. I wonder if autoPark might eventually get good enough where everyone could get out, and then it would park itself. And pull back out itself.

I never trusted the Tesla version of Summon, but it may be better now. And there's no reason Lucid couldn't offer that eventually.

I don't have any worry about ingress and egress with the doors fully open. My issue is getting older passengers in and out of the rear when in a parking space next to other cars with those long doors. It will often mean loading/unloading before pulling into the space, and that can take a bit of time and block the traffic that often jams Florida parking lots and restaurant entrances at dinnertime which is one of our most frequent outings with friends.

If I recall, this was also one of the main issues that stopped you from buying a Mercedes R class, right?

To me, the Gravity's doors seem similar in size to the air. If the Air is not a problem, then it should be fine. I will note that just yesterday I rode in my friends R 63, which doors are considerably longer than the Air's, and it was no problem getting out, albeit a bit tight. Considering that you have elder passengers that are considerably less flexible than me, I do wonder if it would be an issue.

Your best bet would be waiting for a Gravity to come to a studio, putting the door at the first notch(or less) and trying to get out.

Makes sense. I wonder if autoPark might eventually get good enough where everyone could get out, and then it would park itself. And pull back out itself.

I never trusted the Tesla version of Summon, but it may be better now. And there's no reason Lucid couldn't offer that eventually.
Summon may be the only part of autopilot that I would miss from the Lucid. It was REALLY cool and seems useful to me.

When our kids were young I had a Volvo 850R wagon with the third row seating and roof racks.

This brings back my own childhood memories when my parents bought a 1963 Chevy II station wagon with a rear-facing third seat. Even though the car had manual window cranks, the rear window was powered, which I thought was the coolest thing I'd ever seen in a car. And it was something I used a lot, as the exhaust fumes the car pulled in with the window down were even more nauseating than watching everything in your field of view recede.

We've come a long way, baby.

What happened to the beautiful 850?
At some point, around 7 years of ownership, it was in the shop too often for little this and that stuff, motor mounts, hatch struts that would fail repeatedly.
I sold it to a nice guy in RI (we were in MA) who had a family member with access to Volvo parts, so a good destination for the car.
At that point my wife was not supportive of having excess cars.
I addressed that by increasing income as a general offset.
I try not to regret selling cars that I like/were fun and focus more on liking the next one better. Putting the outgoing car in the hands of an enthusiast is my preference (the S2000 went to a nice lady in NC and she provided me with many updates on how she was using/enjoying the car).
For example, the LC500 Convertible/Gen 2 NSX are way more fun at this point in my life than the S2000 was 15 years ago (and that car was a blast).

If I recall, this was also one of the main issues that stopped you from buying a Mercedes R class, right?

It was.

Your best bet would be waiting for a Gravity to come to a studio, putting the door at the first notch(or less) and trying to get out.

True, but the reveal Thursday has shown me a vehicle with so much to like that I'll live with the rear doors. Damn the torpedoes. I'm getting me one of them there Dream Editions as soon as they'll take my reservation.

This brings back my own childhood memories when my parents bought a 1963 Chevy II station wagon with a rear-facing third seat. Even though the car had manual window cranks, the rear window was powered, which I thought was the coolest thing I'd ever seen in a car. And it was something I used a lot, as the exhaust fumes the car pulled in with the window down were even more nauseating than watching everything in your field of view recede.

We've come a long way, baby.
Ah, those novas look so sleek and modern, especially in black.

And I find exhaust fumes(and gas stations) to smell very good... was it a 153 or 194 cu(if i am memorizing those numbers right)? I will say, we do have advanced catalytic converters these days which could be a reason.

I also found the rear facing third row in the model s a very cool feature, as it harkened back to the good old days and is seemingly impossible to do in a sedan-hatchback cross.

Back