• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Gravity Launch

That would be nice, but if the history of other car manufacturers is any indicator, I’m not sure we’ll see this. The upgrade in features is sometimes more than just the result of a newer CPU. There is a discussion going on right now regarding the BMW i4 and the newer i4s with new head units with enhanced capabilities (minor as they may be). The consensus is it’s unlikely BMW will offer a paid retrofit for a new head unit.

So I’d imagine we’d have to see what features/software have been upgraded by Lucid and whether those new features were the result of a simple CPU change or something more than that.
Not to turn this into an off topic thread, but are you referring to the ID8 vs 8.5?

The Sapphire already has upgraded CPUs. I would be very surprised if they do not offer a retrofit/upgrade for the Air at some point in the next year, for purchase.
I highly doubt there will be a CPU upgrade option.

That would be nice, but if the history of other car manufacturers is any indicator, I’m not sure we’ll see this. The upgrade in features is sometimes more than just the result of a newer CPU. There is a discussion going on right now regarding the BMW i4 and the newer i4s with new head units with enhanced capabilities (minor as they may be). The consensus is it’s unlikely BMW will offer a paid retrofit for a new head unit.

So I’d imagine we’d have to see what features/software have been upgraded by Lucid and whether those new features were the result of a simple CPU change or something more than that.
Other than the drivetrain settings. (Sapphire and Track) I haven’t found anything different yet.
Gravity will be at LA auto show in Nov and deliveries Nov 24.
There are many requested improvements going into the Gravity, hopefully we see some of those updates ahead of Nov 24.

Other than the drivetrain settings. (Sapphire and Track) I haven’t found anything different yet.
Gravity will be at LA auto show in Nov and deliveries Nov 24.
There are many requested improvements going into the Gravity, hopefully we see some of those updates ahead of Nov 24.
Wait, gravity deliveries are November 24th? Where did you hear this?

Wait, gravity deliveries are November 24th? Where did you hear this?
2024 Doofus!! 😂 😂 😂 😂

I'm joking by the way. I know sometimes intent can get lost in post.

2024 Doofus!! 😂 😂 😂 😂

I'm joking by the way. I know sometimes intent can get lost in post.
Lmao, Bill did get a sapphire and a dream so I would understand if he had insider information! Then again, it is a bit strange to deliver a car a week after it got unveiled so perhaps I should have used some common sense.

And I do get the intent! Also wait, when did Gravity deliveries get mentioned to be november of 2024 either? Wasnt their catchline always late 2024?

Lmao, Bill did get a sapphire and a dream so I would understand if he had insider information! Then again, it is a bit strange to deliver a car a week after it got unveiled so perhaps I should have used some common sense.

And I do get the intent! Also wait, when did Gravity deliveries get mentioned to be november of 2024 either? Wasnt their catchline always late 2024?
Yes 2024. Which lines up with previous late 2024. Of course it could always slip. Got to talk to a lot of the Lucid team at the delivery event. Everyone of course very careful not to let info slip that should not, but they answered questions as fully as they could. Really great team.

Yes 2024. Which lines up with previous late 2024. Of course it could always slip. Got to talk to a lot of the Lucid team at the delivery event. Everyone of course very careful not to let info slip that should not, but they answered questions as fully as they could. Really great team.
I'm looking forward to meeting a bunch of them this weekend and at the Gravity launch event.

Why is that?
I doubt it is only the CPU. It would be great if the CPUs in cars where like head units and you could just swap in a new one, but to date that is not how the industry works. I would be happy to be wrong on this, I would place order to upgrade my DE as soon as orders opened.

I'm looking forward to meeting a bunch of them this weekend and at the Gravity launch event.
Awesome. I found they were excited to talk in detail about their work on anything already released and at least speculate a little on what was possible.
I look forward to hearing about the event.

I doubt it is only the CPU. It would be great if the CPUs in cars where like head units and you could just swap in a new one, but to date that is not how the industry works. I would be happy to be wrong on this, I would place order to upgrade my DE as soon as orders opened.
Agreed - it could be anything or nothing. BTW Tesla did CPU swaps on early Model 3 cars when they owner paid for "full self driving". The early CPU wasn't capable enough.

Agreed - it could be anything or nothing. BTW Tesla did CPU swaps on early Model 3 cars when they owner paid for "full self driving". The early CPU wasn't capable enough.
This is the only example I've ever seen of a CPU swap. And by all reports, it went well for folks who did it.

It all depends on what the new CPUs enable, and whether swapping them in would be plausible. If they thought ahead and designed them to be swapped, maybe, just maybe we'll see that as a paid option. But not if it's just a matter of the CPU being a bit faster. It would have to enable some functionality that isn't possible on the current Air CPUs.

I'd put the chances of this in the low 20% range. But I'll be thrilled to be proven wrong.

I asked the Lucid account on Threads, and didn't get a response. Do we think they will release all of the prices and specs for the various trims? Or will this be a high level reveal with those details to come later?

I asked the Lucid account on Threads, and didn't get a response. Do we think they will release all of the prices and specs for the various trims? Or will this be a high level reveal with those details to come later?
My guess would be the latter. They will want to open up a preorder deposit list and focus on revealing the finalized look of the car's interior and exterior. Actual orders will be taken sometime next year. Trims revealed just before that, I would think.

I don’t think Tesla has done other upgrades. Admit I only casually follow Tesla.

My guess would be the latter. They will want to open up a preorder deposit list and focus on revealing the finalized look of the car's interior and exterior. Actual orders will be taken sometime next year. Trims revealed just before that, I would think.?
I havent been around for the Air before 2020, so how did that model's deposits/pricing/trim information work?

Back