Gravity Bugs / Issues

This is THE most challenging piece, to me. No idea how Lucid can address the bugs holistically if the behavior is so different across the fleet. It certainly feels like a fix for one car creates a potential issue for another.

I am sure they’re super focused here, though behavior is so varied, it’s got to be driving the software focus insane at this point. But it is SO close to being AMAZING all the time…
I'm convinced that what we experience as a wide variety of UI or infotainment bugs are just various manifestations of one or a handful of interconnected core system bugs. I think it all has to do with overall systems communications getting out of sync, possibly due to poor timing handling, error control and recovery, etc. I've been reading a bit about Automotive Ethernet, which is a relatively new car networking technology used in infotainment design. It seems to me that our experience could be attributed to poor handling of the car network faults. All networks have faults to some degree, it's a matter of how software is dealing with it. And it's also difficult to troubleshoot if UI designers are using simulated bench units instead of real cars on the road, or special tools which inject network errors to stress the sofware prior to each release.
 
Our Gravity's nighttime rest did not resolve the problem. The left pad is still responsive. Hopefully we don't have to wait too long for mobile service. It is disconcerting not to be able to reboot the car and frustrating that DD is unavailable in any capacity. It is times like these that I wish for redundancy in functions.
My steering wheel was replaced to make DD work, but not due to touch pad, rather it was hands-on-wheel sensor broken.
As a test, set your DD mode to simple Cruise Control (which doesn't use hands sensor) and see if touchpad is able to activate that. If not, then it's likely a fault in the touchpad itself.
In any case, replacing the steering wheel might still be Lucid's default response in these cases, even if they have advanced diagnostics to determine which part is faulty.
 
I'm convinced that what we experience as a wide variety of UI or infotainment bugs are just various manifestations of one or a handful of interconnected core system bugs. I think it all has to do with overall systems communications getting out of sync, possibly due to poor timing handling, error control and recovery, etc. I've been reading a bit about Automotive Ethernet, which is a relatively new car networking technology used in infotainment design. It seems to me that our experience could be attributed to poor handling of the car network faults. All networks have faults to some degree, it's a matter of how software is dealing with it. And it's also difficult to troubleshoot if UI designers are using simulated bench units instead of real cars on the road, or special tools which inject network errors to stress the sofware prior to each release.
This may be a very naive thinking, but as an IT illiterate, I'm hoping that since Lucid was able to fix the Air's software before, they should be able to do it now for the Gravity.
Or am I way off?
My order is in production stage so that surely colors my thinking.
 
This may be a very naive thinking, but as an IT illiterate, I'm hoping that since Lucid was able to fix the Air's software before, they should be able to do it now for the Gravity.
Or am I way off?
My order is in production stage so that surely colors my thinking.
Most, if not all, of the glitches we're talking about should be fixable OTA. I'm not sure of the comms architecture in Gravity, but Automotive Ethernet is not that new and the people who build the actual hardware for the communications layer are insanely rigorous as they must meet ASIL-D safety levels (the most rigorous certification level for automotive functional safety). I think we can blame all of our complaints on poor engineering practice, poor QA/QE practice, and perhaps poorly specified subcontractors.

The problems that may not be fixable in software (but probably are) are related to the damn key fob. So far things have been improving, but I've seen speculation that Lucid cheaped out on the number of antenna modules in the design. (That said, I don't have many key issues.)
 
This may be a very naive thinking, but as an IT illiterate, I'm hoping that since Lucid was able to fix the Air's software before, they should be able to do it now for the Gravity.
Or am I way off?
My order is in production stage so that surely colors my thinking.
Eh, some things still don’t work on the Air and it’s about 5 years old at this point.
 
Someone else mentioned this issue and said the entire steering wheel has to be replaced. Can’t just replace the pad. Sorry if that’s the case. Keep us posted.
That was me. I’m not sure if the entire wheel HAS to be replaced, but they didn’t find an easy solution at the time to solve it quickly. I think they’d likely just change the whole wheel until they can further isolate the issue. Mine was the first one they had seen with that issue.
 
Most, if not all, of the glitches we're talking about should be fixable OTA. I'm not sure of the comms architecture in Gravity, but Automotive Ethernet is not that new and the people who build the actual hardware for the communications layer are insanely rigorous as they must meet ASIL-D safety levels (the most rigorous certification level for automotive functional safety). I think we can blame all of our complaints on poor engineering practice, poor QA/QE practice, and perhaps poorly specified subcontractors.

The problems that may not be fixable in software (but probably are) are related to the damn key fob. So far things have been improving, but I've seen speculation that Lucid cheaped out on the number of antenna modules in the design. (That said, I don't have many key issues.)
Thanks for the explanation.
Sounds plausible for a relatively new company.
As far as the fob gate, we have a different fob model made by the same company. 4 years in, no loose button despite typical daily abuse. And no performance issues at all, giving credence to the suspicion about intrinsic Lucid setup.
 
Eh, some things still don’t work on the Air and it’s about 5 years old at this point.
I’m good with the current state of my Air.
No complaints.
That’s why I’m hesitating a bit to get on the Gravity.
Given what we know now, would current owners have bought the car?
Interesting to know that info, recognizing everyone is a different risk taker.
Kind of sad to me that risk and buying an engineering marvel exist in the same sentence.
 
Speaking only from my own experience as a Gravity Grand Touring owner, things have been… let’s call it “an adventure.” Enough odd behaviors, glitches, and creative workarounds that, if I had a do-over, I would probably wait for Generation 2 at least. My Lucid Gravity GT has given me more “surprises” than I expected. I have had the whole key fob saga, Faraday bags, shaking it like a glow stick, and feeding it batteries like it is a small electronic pet with dietary needs and that was just the warm-up act.

From there, things really got interesting. The cabin blower still greets me like it is trying to earn its spot on a wind turbine test bench. Opening the door unleashes a blast strong enough to dry laundry, and calming the fan has become part of my daily ritual. The driver's seat has also developed a personality. Several times I have found it fully reclined, apparently preparing for meditation or a spa day. No presets changed. No buttons pressed. The Gravity simply decided it needed to relax… deeply.

Then there is the potato-camera moment where the display during turn signal drops resolution to “early flip phone” quality for reasons known only to the software. Dark screens show up unannounced. Sometimes the car wakes up with enthusiasm, other times it prefers to keep secrets. Random error messages make cameo appearances like surprise guests, never staying long enough to understand but always long enough to raise eyebrows. The HUD… well, let us just say the HUD is not my Gravity’s strongest talent at the moment.

And yes, there are occasional creaks and noises while driving the kind that make you look around and wonder if the car is communicating in Morse code.

Taken individually, each issue is quirky. Add them together, and the ownership experience has required more tinkering, rebooting, and emotional flexibility than I expected when buying an engineering marvel.

If I had a do-over, knowing what I know now, I would WAIT. While the technology is impressive and the potential is enormous, the day to day ownership experience has involved more tinkering, rebooting, and detective work than I had hoped or imagined.

Perhaps "Great" for someone who enjoys software mysteries and surprise features, not great for someone who just wants a superb, reliable car that behaves like a superb, reliable car every day.

But as we all know, every owner is different and every car has its own personality. Some people are having almost no issues, while others (like me) feel like we’re in a long-term relationship with reboot buttons and temporary workarounds. So this really does come down to personal risk tolerance. It really comes down to how much unexpected “character” a person is willing to accept from their cutting-edge EV.

And yes, it is a little sad and a little funny that “risk” and “engineering marvel” ended up in the same sentence. Not exactly how any of us expected luxury EV ownership to be described.

Happy to answer any Gravity questions… preferably before my next reboot. 😄
 
Speaking only from my own experience as a Gravity Grand Touring owner, things have been… let’s call it “an adventure.” Enough odd behaviors, glitches, and creative workarounds that, if I had a do-over, I would probably wait for Generation 2 at least. My Lucid Gravity GT has given me more “surprises” than I expected. I have had the whole key fob saga, Faraday bags, shaking it like a glow stick, and feeding it batteries like it is a small electronic pet with dietary needs and that was just the warm-up act.

From there, things really got interesting. The cabin blower still greets me like it is trying to earn its spot on a wind turbine test bench. Opening the door unleashes a blast strong enough to dry laundry, and calming the fan has become part of my daily ritual. The driver's seat has also developed a personality. Several times I have found it fully reclined, apparently preparing for meditation or a spa day. No presets changed. No buttons pressed. The Gravity simply decided it needed to relax… deeply.

Then there is the potato-camera moment where the display during turn signal drops resolution to “early flip phone” quality for reasons known only to the software. Dark screens show up unannounced. Sometimes the car wakes up with enthusiasm, other times it prefers to keep secrets. Random error messages make cameo appearances like surprise guests, never staying long enough to understand but always long enough to raise eyebrows. The HUD… well, let us just say the HUD is not my Gravity’s strongest talent at the moment.

And yes, there are occasional creaks and noises while driving the kind that make you look around and wonder if the car is communicating in Morse code.

Taken individually, each issue is quirky. Add them together, and the ownership experience has required more tinkering, rebooting, and emotional flexibility than I expected when buying an engineering marvel.

If I had a do-over, knowing what I know now, I would WAIT. While the technology is impressive and the potential is enormous, the day to day ownership experience has involved more tinkering, rebooting, and detective work than I had hoped or imagined.

Perhaps "Great" for someone who enjoys software mysteries and surprise features, not great for someone who just wants a superb, reliable car that behaves like a superb, reliable car every day.

But as we all know, every owner is different and every car has its own personality. Some people are having almost no issues, while others (like me) feel like we’re in a long-term relationship with reboot buttons and temporary workarounds. So this really does come down to personal risk tolerance. It really comes down to how much unexpected “character” a person is willing to accept from their cutting-edge EV.

And yes, it is a little sad and a little funny that “risk” and “engineering marvel” ended up in the same sentence. Not exactly how any of us expected luxury EV ownership to be described.

Happy to answer any Gravity questions… preferably before my next reboot. 😄
Totally get it. The experience is so varied. I’d still take delivery if I had it to do over. It just outshines in so many places I need - second row space, third row space, cargo space, range, etc. That doesn’t even take into account wants like speed and driving dynamics. I still choose the Gravity over the R1S and X daily.

But yes, there are bugs that come along with it. Of various degrees of annoyance and anyone yet to take delivery HAS to be willing to accept that.
 
Yesterday I was washing my Gravity with the FOB on the front seat, it takes a while! Anyhow after around 30 minutes (guess) the car locked itself with the FOB inside. Not a problem as I was home and had the means to open the car. Struck me as odd that the car would do this with the FOB inside. I assume the FOB went to sleep and for security reasons the car locked itself. Do not recall this happening on other vehicles. Has anyone else seen this happen?
 
Speaking only from my own experience as a Gravity Grand Touring owner, things have been… let’s call it “an adventure.” Enough odd behaviors, glitches, and creative workarounds that, if I had a do-over, I would probably wait for Generation 2 at least. My Lucid Gravity GT has given me more “surprises” than I expected. I have had the whole key fob saga, Faraday bags, shaking it like a glow stick, and feeding it batteries like it is a small electronic pet with dietary needs and that was just the warm-up act.

From there, things really got interesting. The cabin blower still greets me like it is trying to earn its spot on a wind turbine test bench. Opening the door unleashes a blast strong enough to dry laundry, and calming the fan has become part of my daily ritual. The driver's seat has also developed a personality. Several times I have found it fully reclined, apparently preparing for meditation or a spa day. No presets changed. No buttons pressed. The Gravity simply decided it needed to relax… deeply.

Then there is the potato-camera moment where the display during turn signal drops resolution to “early flip phone” quality for reasons known only to the software. Dark screens show up unannounced. Sometimes the car wakes up with enthusiasm, other times it prefers to keep secrets. Random error messages make cameo appearances like surprise guests, never staying long enough to understand but always long enough to raise eyebrows. The HUD… well, let us just say the HUD is not my Gravity’s strongest talent at the moment.

And yes, there are occasional creaks and noises while driving the kind that make you look around and wonder if the car is communicating in Morse code.

Taken individually, each issue is quirky. Add them together, and the ownership experience has required more tinkering, rebooting, and emotional flexibility than I expected when buying an engineering marvel.

If I had a do-over, knowing what I know now, I would WAIT. While the technology is impressive and the potential is enormous, the day to day ownership experience has involved more tinkering, rebooting, and detective work than I had hoped or imagined.

Perhaps "Great" for someone who enjoys software mysteries and surprise features, not great for someone who just wants a superb, reliable car that behaves like a superb, reliable car every day.

But as we all know, every owner is different and every car has its own personality. Some people are having almost no issues, while others (like me) feel like we’re in a long-term relationship with reboot buttons and temporary workarounds. So this really does come down to personal risk tolerance. It really comes down to how much unexpected “character” a person is willing to accept from their cutting-edge EV.

And yes, it is a little sad and a little funny that “risk” and “engineering marvel” ended up in the same sentence. Not exactly how any of us expected luxury EV ownership to be described.

Happy to answer any Gravity questions… preferably before my next reboot. 😄
Thanks for a detailed and thoughtful reply.
When did you get your Gravity? I'm trying to see if there's any temporal correlation with the (in)stability of the car's functions.
 
Yesterday I was washing my Gravity with the FOB on the front seat, it takes a while! Anyhow after around 30 minutes (guess) the car locked itself with the FOB inside. Not a problem as I was home and had the means to open the car. Struck me as odd that the car would do this with the FOB inside. I assume the FOB went to sleep and for security reasons the car locked itself. Do not recall this happening on other vehicles. Has anyone else seen this happen?
I’ve not had it happen while I was outside of the car, but it’s done it many times when I am in the car, so I expect it would happen if I left fob in it. Will try today.

This does not/can not happen in the X or R1S if we leave the fob in it. Not sure why folks think that’s a security “feature”. If you leave the keys in the ignition of an ICE, it stays on. If someone steals your ICE, your fault. Car should stay awake if fob is inside.
 
I think we can blame all of our complaints on poor engineering practice, poor QA/QE practice, and perhaps poorly specified subcontractors.

That's very interesting.

I'm a total ignoramus when it comes to software, but one of our regular dinner companions (and thus Gravity passenger) works as an IT trouble-shooter between a software services company and the engineers in India who do most of the programming.

When I relate our most recent bugs to him -- or he sees them himself when he's in the car -- he very often says it's likely a symptom of poor QA protocols and standard checks being skipped. (He sometimes tells me the specific check that would have headed off a certain malfunction, but the terminology always flies over my head.) In any case, he thinks our Air and Gravities are phenomenal vehicles, and he actually admires the UX design of the Gravity as one of the best he's seen. But he thinks it is plagued by the worst UI execution he has ever seen.
 
Totally get it. The experience is so varied. I’d still take delivery if I had it to do over. It just outshines in so many places I need - second row space, third row space, cargo space, range, etc. That doesn’t even take into account wants like speed and driving dynamics. I still choose the Gravity over the R1S and X daily.

But yes, there are bugs that come along with it. Of various degrees of annoyance and anyone yet to take delivery HAS to be willing to accept that.
I read somewhere that one of the Rivian models is on Consumer Report's list of Do not Buy. Gravity is not on that list, thankfully for Lucid.
About your Gravity, I don't recall you posting any major things such as being locked out or unable to drive/reverse. Correct?
Your delivery date?
Thanks.
 
Thanks for a detailed and thoughtful reply.
When did you get your Gravity? I'm trying to see if there's any temporal correlation with the (in)stability of the car's functions.
Thanks for the kind words! Happy to share my experience.

I picked up my Gravity on October 31st, 2025.... Halloween day, and in hindsight that timing might explain more than I realized :D. Starting ownership on a day dedicated to ghosts, surprises, and things that go bump in the night does not exactly set the tone for a calm and stable vehicle.

So if you are looking for temporal correlation, mine definitely entered my garage in full spooky season mode. Whether that has anything to do with the occasional jump scares from the HUD, the ghost-touch screens, or the seat practicing meditation poses is hard to say, but the timing is poetically suspicious.

On a serious note, my issues began fairly early, so the late October delivery batch might be relevant. Hopefully more data points from other owners will help bring more clarity.
 
Yesterday I was washing my Gravity with the FOB on the front seat, it takes a while! Anyhow after around 30 minutes (guess) the car locked itself with the FOB inside. Not a problem as I was home and had the means to open the car. Struck me as odd that the car would do this with the FOB inside. I assume the FOB went to sleep and for security reasons the car locked itself. Do not recall this happening on other vehicles. Has anyone else seen this happen?

Yes. We accidentally left the fob in the front console cradle when visiting friends last week, and the car locked itself (with my wallet also in the console along with my key card). I had put the fob there because, for some reason, the car was not recognizing it in my pocket as often happens. Fortunately, my partner had his wallet and key card on him, so we got in that way.
 
Speaking only from my own experience as a Gravity Grand Touring owner, things have been… let’s call it “an adventure.” Enough odd behaviors, glitches, and creative workarounds that, if I had a do-over, I would probably wait for Generation 2 at least. My Lucid Gravity GT has given me more “surprises” than I expected. I have had the whole key fob saga, Faraday bags, shaking it like a glow stick, and feeding it batteries like it is a small electronic pet with dietary needs and that was just the warm-up act.

From there, things really got interesting. The cabin blower still greets me like it is trying to earn its spot on a wind turbine test bench. Opening the door unleashes a blast strong enough to dry laundry, and calming the fan has become part of my daily ritual. The driver's seat has also developed a personality. Several times I have found it fully reclined, apparently preparing for meditation or a spa day. No presets changed. No buttons pressed. The Gravity simply decided it needed to relax… deeply.

Then there is the potato-camera moment where the display during turn signal drops resolution to “early flip phone” quality for reasons known only to the software. Dark screens show up unannounced. Sometimes the car wakes up with enthusiasm, other times it prefers to keep secrets. Random error messages make cameo appearances like surprise guests, never staying long enough to understand but always long enough to raise eyebrows. The HUD… well, let us just say the HUD is not my Gravity’s strongest talent at the moment.

And yes, there are occasional creaks and noises while driving the kind that make you look around and wonder if the car is communicating in Morse code.

Taken individually, each issue is quirky. Add them together, and the ownership experience has required more tinkering, rebooting, and emotional flexibility than I expected when buying an engineering marvel.

If I had a do-over, knowing what I know now, I would WAIT. While the technology is impressive and the potential is enormous, the day to day ownership experience has involved more tinkering, rebooting, and detective work than I had hoped or imagined.

Perhaps "Great" for someone who enjoys software mysteries and surprise features, not great for someone who just wants a superb, reliable car that behaves like a superb, reliable car every day.

But as we all know, every owner is different and every car has its own personality. Some people are having almost no issues, while others (like me) feel like we’re in a long-term relationship with reboot buttons and temporary workarounds. So this really does come down to personal risk tolerance. It really comes down to how much unexpected “character” a person is willing to accept from their cutting-edge EV.

And yes, it is a little sad and a little funny that “risk” and “engineering marvel” ended up in the same sentence. Not exactly how any of us expected luxury EV ownership to be described.

Happy to answer any Gravity questions… preferably before my next reboot. 😄

Welcome to Year 1 of Lucid ownership.

I could have written this post myself (but lacking your entertaining comical flourishes), because it exactly describes our Gravity ownership thus far.
 
Yes. We accidentally left the fob in the front console cradle when visiting friends last week, and the car locked itself (with my wallet also in the console along with my key card). I had put the fob there because, for some reason, the car was not recognizing it in my pocket as often happens. Fortunately, my partner had his wallet and key card on him, so we got in that way.
Thanks for confirming, will plan accordingly. Perhaps when Lucid have less software considerations they should take a look at this. I know they can remotely open the car via CS so more of an inconvenience than an issue if all keys are the wrong side of the car door :)
 
I know they can remotely open the car via CS so more of an inconvenience than an issue if all keys are the wrong side of the car door :)

Unfortunately, CS has cut back their operating hours and are completely closed on Sundays.
 
Back
Top