Gravity Bugs / Issues

I am curious for anyone who is familiar with the Air, are the buttons and touch screens now completely responsive? I think this is one of the critical user experience aspects that is so difficult and that Apple does so well. My limited experience with android based phones and tablets (albeit nothing recent) was that they were a bit more prone to occasionally be less responsive than Apple's devices. It destroys trust in the system when some things work some of the time. The gravity UI looks fine, layout is as good or better than anything else out there in my opinion, but having even physical buttons not work even 2% of the time is maddening. The HomeLink buttons for example that appear on the cockpit panel are inconsistent in multiple ways, sometimes appearing, sometimes not, sometimes indicating touch by darkening, sometimes, not, and whether or not they actually operate the garage door is also sporadic and not necessarily in conjunction with whether the screen registers touch.
 
I am curious for anyone who is familiar with the Air, are the buttons and touch screens now completely responsive? I think this is one of the critical user experience aspects that is so difficult and that Apple does so well. My limited experience with android based phones and tablets (albeit nothing recent) was that they were a bit more prone to occasionally be less responsive than Apple's devices. It destroys trust in the system when some things work some of the time. The gravity UI looks fine, layout is as good or better than anything else out there in my opinion, but having even physical buttons not work even 2% of the time is maddening. The HomeLink buttons for example that appear on the cockpit panel are inconsistent in multiple ways, sometimes appearing, sometimes not, sometimes indicating touch by darkening, sometimes, not, and whether or not they actually operate the garage door is also sporadic and not necessarily in conjunction with whether the screen registers touch.
On Homelink - agree and that’s why I’ve set the steering wheel custom button for it. Works fist time 90% of the time.

For others, until I wrote this, I’ve had no issue with any physical buttons and the touchscreen is snappy and quick except for the incomes on bottom, which can get confused at times (see pic below). Don’t judge my TuneIn listening. Interesting note - I’ve never listened to classical music on TuneIn but it insists on trying to jam me with that under recently played. I don’t like classical, but that’s a TuneIn issue, not Lucid.

Pilot panel showing music but bottom icon has seat highlighted. For those issues, 3.3.9 has been super helpful, but there are still times when I need 2-3 presses to switch those screens.

As others have said, there’s something odd going on as everything is usually snappy and great after an update and then performance seems to degrade over time. Folks have spoken about this being a memory issue. I am not a software person, but bringing it up as it’s happened with every update.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9781.webp
    IMG_9781.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 117
The HomeLink buttons for example that appear on the cockpit panel are inconsistent in multiple ways, sometimes appearing, sometimes not, sometimes indicating touch by darkening, sometimes, not, and whether or not they actually operate the garage door is also sporadic and not necessarily in conjunction with whether the screen registers touch.

Same thing with us, but with an added twist. Geofencing at least brings up the Homelink screen in one of our Gravities upon approach and departure. But in the other car it doesn't.

We have a lot of variance in what bugs appear in which car and what workarounds work for one car but don't for the other.

Everything about the UI software in these cars is a total crap shoot from one drive to another. And it's far more aggravating than if the bugs were consistent so you would know what to expect.

We came within a few feet of rear-ending a car at an intersection backup last week. Something went wonky with the software after we got underway, and I was fiddling with buttons trying to figure out what was going on when the car in front of us braked early. We stopped just in time, but we also found out the front collision warning system and emergency braking feature had shut itself down at some point without giving us notice or warning. So these bugs are affecting the car's safety systems as well as audio, A/C, navigation, maps, interior lighting . . . .

Almost five months since picking up the first Gravity, and we're in the same software house of mirrors we were in during the dark days of Air UX 1.0. And it's why my brother is now looking at a BMW to replace his Tesla instead of waiting for the Lucid Earth he had been anticipating. I'm not even sure I would buy another Lucid at this point, whereas six months ago I was expecting Lucid would be my brand of choice going forward. Our Air software had been relatively stable for the past year or more, but it began to get buggy again recently with the 4-year leg of its warranty expiring in a few months. We're starting to think about dumping it beforehand if Lucid doesn't come out with an extended warranty by then.
 
And it's far more aggravating than if the bugs were consistent so you would know what to expect.
This is THE most challenging piece, to me. No idea how Lucid can address the bugs holistically if the behavior is so different across the fleet. It certainly feels like a fix for one car creates a potential issue for another.

I am sure they’re super focused here, though behavior is so varied, it’s got to be driving the software focus insane at this point. But it is SO close to being AMAZING all the time…
 
I have a gt white 7 seater, with all the options but tech pack. On the trip i was mostly between 65 and 80 for the 1000miles. Outside temp went from 40 to 70. Car was fully loaded all seats down. Me and my wife and id say around 300 pounds of everything…
What size tires? Thanks.
 
Would having a faraday pouch avoid having to walk away? Rainy day alternative?
I would think so.

Early in my Gravity ownership, one way I verified that the center console was not reading the key cards was by sitting in my car, putting the fob in my Faraday pouch, and then trying the key cards. I would then take fob out of the pouch and test if the car went into drive/reverse.

Needed to make sure the issue was the cards and not the car's ability to go into drive/reverse.
 
Today's update:

We got in one of the Gravities today to go for a ride and found the audio system was out again. We could not get the last selection off pause, and the music buttons on both the upper and lower screens did not function. They only brought up the screen from the last function we were in. We could get all the other function menus to come up except the music menu. So we couldn't even get to the USB stick to listen to it.

We decided to continue anyway, but as we drove down our street the low tire pressure warning came up, showing the front left wheel was down to 32 pounds. (This is a week to the day after we had the rear 23" tire on the other Gravity replaced due to picking up a nail.) Hoping this was just a software error, we turned back to the house and put a gauge on the tire. Sure enough, it was down to 32 pounds while the other tires were at the 43 pounds I had set them to last week.

Fortunately, I had bought a road hazard warranty for these tires after the incident with the other Gravity's tire last week. And, with less than 4,000 miles on the car, I can probably still get by with replacing only the one tire on that axle.

Between all the construction around us and the unrelenting software issues, I am in the worst car ownership nightmare of my life. I don't feel confident even leaving the garage at this point.

P.S. Has anyone figured out a workaround for getting the audio system back up without having to exit the car for a considerable while?
 
I know this will be shocking, but “how long does it take to go into deep sleep”
Is part of the oral tradition. We should have a poll. Some have been told 10 minutes, some 15, some one hour - 1.5 hours is new to me.

Generally, “overnight” sleep has helped out now toddler Gravity adjust. 🐣
Our Gravity's nighttime rest did not resolve the problem. The left pad is still responsive. Hopefully we don't have to wait too long for mobile service. It is disconcerting not to be able to reboot the car and frustrating that DD is unavailable in any capacity. It is times like these that I wish for redundancy in functions.
 
So.... I had my first experience of the infamous "arctic blast" upon entering the vehicle. I may be able to shed some light on this from my 1-off experience: For the most part up until a drive today, I would generally make any A/C adjustments to the car with the physical buttons rather than actually go into the A/C menu screen. Today, I decided to go into the menu at a stoplight and play around with some settings for fun (*probably a mistake in retrospect lol*)... I turned the A/C to Auto which I typically never use and set the temperature and fan speed and sync'd with the passenger side and played around with a few things....I then ran inside the grocery store and came out to be greeted by the Arctic Blast. I have since turned off Auto and have driven the car several more times and have not re-experienced the issue.

So, I guess the questions is: Is everyone that's experiencing that issue using "Auto" rather than just the manual physical controls?

I now think I should not every play around with the seat or I'll likely inadvertently invoke the lay flat bug lol.
Auto is never on initially on the driver's side when we get in the car and we receive the arctic blast. Turning Auto on is finicky as well. So I think our experience is the opposite of yours. Wish your theory was the answer so this problem can be solved.
 
Our Gravity's nighttime rest did not resolve the problem. The left pad is still responsive. Hopefully we don't have to wait too long for mobile service. It is disconcerting not to be able to reboot the car and frustrating that DD is unavailable in any capacity. It is times like these that I wish for redundancy in functions.
Someone else mentioned this issue and said the entire steering wheel has to be replaced. Can’t just replace the pad. Sorry if that’s the case. Keep us posted.
 
Someone else mentioned this issue and said the entire steering wheel has to be replaced. Can’t just replace the pad. Sorry if that’s the case. Keep us posted.
That would be unfortunate. But thanks for the heads up so we can mentally prepare for this to be a possibility.
 
Please don't watch the OOS review of the Cayenne, it'll make you feel even worse about the Gravities
I watched it. Then I went to the Cayenne configuration page, and priced one out. Porsche always has a zillion options, so I'm not sure I did the best job selecting what I'd want. But a minimal spec of the base Cayenne EV came out to about $130K, a bit more than $10K over my GGT's price. For that you get much less power, much less space, better charging, and fewer software glitches. Also weird ergonomic choices, like apparently having to hit a button on the steering wheel to get power, rather than just mashing the gas pedal down? I'm not really dissing the Porsche. But it's far from clear to me that it's a better value for the money.

Also, it's remarkable to me how casually the OOS guys say that spending an extra sixty grand is a great value. I think of myself as being wealthy these days, but I guess I don't have charging-hardware-sponsorship kind of money. :p
 
Our Gravity's nighttime rest did not resolve the problem. The left pad is still responsive. Hopefully we don't have to wait too long for mobile service. It is disconcerting not to be able to reboot the car and frustrating that DD is unavailable in any capacity. It is times like these that I wish for redundancy in functions.
It's a sad commentary on the state of Lucid's software that an inability to reboot the car causes any anxiety.
 
On Homelink - agree and that’s why I’ve set the steering wheel custom button for it. Works fist time 90% of the time.

Does the custom button just bring up homelink or actually open/close your garage? I have two different garages configured in Homelink, and when I set the custom button to homelink it just brings up the two garage buttons that already appear fairly reliably with geofencing, but does not actually open the garage door... so not helpful. Unless I'm doing it wrong?
 
Does the custom button just bring up homelink or actually open/close your garage? I have two different garages configured in Homelink, and when I set the custom button to homelink it just brings up the two garage buttons that already appear fairly reliably with geofencing, but does not actually open the garage door... so not helpful. Unless I'm doing it wrong?
Ahhh. It opens my door but I only have it tied to one door. I don’t use home link for the other door.
 
Does anyone else find that the interior accent lighting returns to full brightness every time you get back in the car?

We drive at night with it turned down very low. But when we get back into the car after exiting it, the lights return to maximum brightness. We then have to go through three steps to get to the brightness control:

- through the pull-down menu on the Pilot screen (1) pull the screen down, (2) select the Lucid Vibes window, (3) hit the Lucid Vibes button that presents, or
- via Settings (1) select Settings, (2) select Vehicle, (3) hit the Lucid Vibes button that presents.

Once you've done all that, the lights will sometimes return to the lower setting they were on when the car powered down, but sometimes you have to change the light color to get the brightness rotor to respond.

All that just to keep the accent lights from blinding you . . . .

And this is on top of still having often to shake the key fob to get the car into gear, to fiddle around to stop the infamous "arctic blast" from the A/C, and to get the audio off the default to Sirius XM it recently developed even though we never select it.

I have never had to go through so much rigamarole to get underway in a car in my life except for an Audi S6 on which I usually had to use jumper cables most mornings -- a car I soon dumped for that reason.
 
Does anyone else find that the interior accent lighting returns to full brightness every time you get back in the car?

We drive at night with it turned down very low. But when we get back into the car after exiting it, the lights return to maximum brightness. We then have to go through three steps to get to the brightness control:

- through the pull-down menu on the Pilot screen (1) pull the screen down, (2) select the Lucid Vibes window, (3) hit the Lucid Vibes button that presents, or
- via Settings (1) select Settings, (2) select Vehicle, (3) hit the Lucid Vibes button that presents.

Once you've done all that, the lights will sometimes return to the lower setting they were on when the car powered down, but sometimes you have to change the light color to get the brightness rotor to respond.

All that just to keep the accent lights from blinding you . . . .

And this is on top of still having often to shake the key fob to get the car into gear, to fiddle around to stop the infamous "arctic blast" from the A/C, and to get the audio off the default to Sirius XM it recently developed even though we never select it.

I have never had to go through so much rigamarole to get underway in a car in my life except for an Audi S6 on which I usually had to use jumper cables most mornings -- a car I soon dumped for that reason.
Well that’s not robust at all.
 
Does anyone else find that the interior accent lighting returns to full brightness every time you get back in the car?

We drive at night with it turned down very low. But when we get back into the car after exiting it, the lights return to maximum brightness. We then have to go through three steps to get to the brightness control:

- through the pull-down menu on the Pilot screen (1) pull the screen down, (2) select the Lucid Vibes window, (3) hit the Lucid Vibes button that presents, or
- via Settings (1) select Settings, (2) select Vehicle, (3) hit the Lucid Vibes button that presents.

Once you've done all that, the lights will sometimes return to the lower setting they were on when the car powered down, but sometimes you have to change the light color to get the brightness rotor to respond.

All that just to keep the accent lights from blinding you . . . .

And this is on top of still having often to shake the key fob to get the car into gear, to fiddle around to stop the infamous "arctic blast" from the A/C, and to get the audio off the default to Sirius XM it recently developed even though we never select it.

I have never had to go through so much rigamarole to get underway in a car in my life except for an Audi S6 on which I usually had to use jumper cables most mornings -- a car I soon dumped for that reason.
I don’t notice the brightness as I have GGT so the lights aren’t as visible. I do have to change the color back to whatever I had it set at each time I get in. About 90% of the time it defaults back to white when I start. It’s been like that since delivery.

Given all the other challenges, it’s been low on my list.

Recently, as you said, my fob’s acted up a bit more and has to be shaken.
 
Back
Top