Gravity 75 mph Range

I am gunning for worst case scenario like it’s my mission in life…

That is what I get around town in my R1T brick!

I’m at sea level, hunting along the NJ95. Last one was a poorly informed Audi e-tron GT, was messing lightly for a good 10 min before he finally got some space and gunned past me, was ahead by maybe half a vehicle before Gravity nosed ahead again. If only for a moment. Wasn’t looking to show em the top speed superiority, just enough that he had the jump and still failed.

I promised my wife I would keep it under 80, and I honor that promise unless I am not paying attention. I set the cruise for 79.

In my younger days, I would have also shown that Audi what's what. But alas, now if it isn't from a stoplight, they win. I raced a motorcycle from a stoplight once in my Mach-e. As soon as we got to 60-70ish, I backed off. He won, but not by much. My R1T Tri would have destroyed him.

Men are generally immature. I am probably less mature than most. :cool:
 
That is what I get around town in my R1T brick!



I promised my wife I would keep it under 80, and I honor that promise unless I am not paying attention. I set the cruise for 79.

In my younger days, I would have also shown that Audi what's what. But alas, now if it isn't from a stoplight, they win. I raced a motorcycle from a stoplight once in my Mach-e. As soon as we got to 60-70ish, I backed off. He won, but not by much. My R1T Tri would have destroyed him.

Men are generally immature. I am probably less mature than most. :cool:
With a vehicle as ridiculous as Gravity in terms of performance you really need to exercise a lot of restraint, 3-4 seconds into the power pedal could be a difference of 2x-3x the speed limit.

It’s fun, but only if you don’t think about it.

Stopping distance between 70mph and 100 is essentially double, going above continues that trend and if you are on efficiency tires and add water, forget about it.

We got it tough…looking more van like and performing more Lamborghini like.

One day at a time.
 
After owning the Gravity I got started thinking about how the roads might not be safer if every knucklehead out there could sling 6000 lbs down the asphalt with 0.8 Gs of acceleration when the mood struck them. I know we are high end consumers now, but you can foresee a future where EVs with this performance level could be mainstream. For now, I'm happy to know that the decidedly non-knucklehead members of our forum are exercising quiet restraint and responsible motoring. (ahem)
 
After owning the Gravity I got started thinking about how the roads might not be safer if every knucklehead out there could sling 6000 lbs down the asphalt with 0.8 Gs of acceleration when the mood struck them. I know we are high end consumers now, but you can foresee a future where EVs with this performance level could be mainstream. For now, I'm happy to know that the decidedly non-knucklehead members of our forum are exercising quiet restraint and responsible motoring. (ahem)
You could always picture the Hummer EV, IQ EV and those Tri and Quad motor Rivians. Their brakes are not nearly as good as the Gravity and they pack quite a bit more weight.

I feel vehicles in the 12 seconds into 1/4 mile and lower really need some special driving courses to help understand what it is you got and how to operate it safely.

Freedom and all but the forces these vehicles generate at speed would probably feel like getting hit by a semi.
 
Now that we know the 7 seater can achieve the same 407 mileage as the 5 seater, sounds like a dynamic rating of 3.47 is even more possible for you than before.
The best I've gotten is a dynamic of 3.12.
I prefer highway driving.

The one efficiency tip I receive is to keep my speed below 70; I kinda knew that.
What kind of speed are you driving to get that 3.3?
I have done about 1000 miles averaging just above 70mph on road trips with 20/21s in average temps below 40. It's doing about 2.95 mi/kwhr. We did a round trip from Chicago to Cinncinati which was about 750 miles on 2 charges, one was fairly deep because of a food stop and I had to move the car before I was done eating. Above 50 degrees and below 75 I think it's not too hard to do 3.1-3.3.
 
With a vehicle as ridiculous as Gravity in terms of performance you really need to exercise a lot of restraint, 3-4 seconds into the power pedal could be a difference of 2x-3x the speed limit.
On a related note... I do wish the Gravity accelerator pedal had more play in it. It's also quite stiff, taking more force to press down than our other EVs, which makes it harder to modulate in tiny increments. With so much power and not a lot of pedal play, a slight push often produces faster acceleration than I want. And since the regen is very strong, it often slows too fast when letting up as well unless you're super sensitive on that pedal pressure.

All that power is great when I want it, of course, but for normal (luxury car) driving, I want gentle speed transitions (especially for the sake of my passengers). My Mach-E drive modes could increase that pedal play on the gentlest setting. I wish the Gravity did the same thing. For a luxury car, it seems very sports car tuned.
 
After owning the Gravity I got started thinking about how the roads might not be safer if every knucklehead out there could sling 6000 lbs down the asphalt with 0.8 Gs of acceleration when the mood struck them. I know we are high end consumers now, but you can foresee a future where EVs with this performance level could be mainstream. For now, I'm happy to know that the decidedly non-knucklehead members of our forum are exercising quiet restraint and responsible motoring. (ahem)
I've thought about that future where high performance EVs are more mainstream.

The suggestion, by another member, of a special driving course is a valid consideration.
Perhaps something similar to the Extreme Experience done at NCCAR where OoS has their test track.

As EVs age out into the used car market and prices continue to drop such that younger drivers have access to them, the ability to handle that instant torque and speed will be attractive to certain age demographics. I know ev drag racing isn't a big draw right now, but in the years ahead, I can see that changing. Again, as access increases.
 
After owning the Gravity I got started thinking about how the roads might not be safer if every knucklehead out there could sling 6000 lbs down the asphalt with 0.8 Gs of acceleration when the mood struck them. I know we are high end consumers now, but you can foresee a future where EVs with this performance level could be mainstream. For now, I'm happy to know that the decidedly non-knucklehead members of our forum are exercising quiet restraint and responsible motoring. (ahem)

clearly you overestimate me
 
I've thought about that future where high performance EVs are more mainstream.

The suggestion, by another member, of a special driving course is a valid consideration.
Perhaps something similar to the Extreme Experience done at NCCAR where OoS has their test track.

As EVs age out into the used car market and prices continue to drop such that younger drivers have access to them, the ability to handle that instant torque and speed will be attractive to certain age demographics. I know ev drag racing isn't a big draw right now, but in the years ahead, I can see that changing. Again, as access increases.
You won't get most people to take a high performance driving course. The more logical solution for everyday drivers is to stop making most EVs with crazy fast 0-60 times. No matter how tempting it is.

It seems like higher gearbox ratios might slow the 0-60 some, but also extend range?
 
You won't get most people to take a high performance driving course. The more logical solution for everyday drivers is to stop making most EVs with crazy fast 0-60 times. No matter how tempting it is.

It seems like higher gearbox ratios might slow the 0-60 some, but also extend range?
True about the course for most, but depending on the offerings, they could generate a good amount of interest.
Doesn't have to be high performance EVs. Perhaps EVs in general.
Virginia used to have an annual auto show during which, over the last few years, until the show was cancelled, attendees could drive an ev.

I don't see the solution of stop making crazy fast EVs happening.
That hasn't happened with ICE cars.

It's possible the absence of the "growl" at acceleration or the "noise and drama", as I've heard it described, will limit the appeal to younger drivers despite the faster acceleration.
Throw in continued improvements to autonomous driving; actual driving may be less appealing over time.
 
True about the course for most, but depending on the offerings, they could generate a good amount of interest.
Doesn't have to be high performance EVs. Perhaps EVs in general.
Virginia used to have an annual auto show during which, over the last few years, until the show was cancelled, attendees could drive an ev.

I don't see the solution of stop making crazy fast EVs happening.
That hasn't happened with ICE cars.

It's possible the absence of the "growl" at acceleration or the "noise and drama", as I've heard it described, will limit the appeal to younger drivers despite the faster acceleration.
Throw in continued improvements to autonomous driving; actual driving may be less appealing over time.
The difference is 90% of ICE cars aren't sub-5 second 0-60, while most EVs are. It's handing most drivers that are used to average acceleration a sports car (by ICE standards). It's overkill for 90% of drivers.

I know we all love our super quick EVs. It's addicting. But it's unnecessary and probably unwise for most cars to become super-fast (not top-end speed, but from a stop). The system works better if 90% stay "normal", and seems like the best way for that to happen is by making most EVs with normal 0-60 times. More and more people on the roads having rocket ships seems like a recipe for disaster.
 
Makes sense.

Based on this article that lists 2024 EVs in order by 0-60 time, from quickest to slowest, there's a good number with times above 5 seconds.
More EV hp and the speed that comes with it, means more energy consumption and weight which can adversely affects range.
Something we all want more of.

Efficient battery packs with lower energy consuming motors and good range could be part of the 90% normal.

The continued evolution of EVs will be quite interesting to witness.
 
I still think after my first ride and drive of a Tesla S back in 2018 - EVs are going to magnify the good drivers and the bad drivers.
 
I’ve said it before, but with the suspension settings as smooth as they are on “Sprint”, I find it impossible NOT to speed when in that mode.

Oddly, it feels smoother to me in sprint than other modes.
 
I like a car with a stiffer suspension as well. Put aftermarket sway bars and beefier bushings on more than one vehicle I used to own
Can't wait to try it..two test drives were not enough!
 
I’ve said it before, but with the suspension settings as smooth as they are on “Sprint”, I find it impossible NOT to speed when in that mode.

Oddly, it feels smoother to me in sprint than other modes.
Mine firms up quite a bit in Sprint. Dynamic with 22s
 
I’ve said it before, but with the suspension settings as smooth as they are on “Sprint”, I find it impossible NOT to speed when in that mode.

Oddly, it feels smoother to me in sprint than other modes.
Change it to km for extra zoom zoom
 
Back
Top