Gravity 75 mph Range

True, but what's the point of conserving capacity if you never use it? If using the 5%-15% is 3 times worse than 45%-55% but you only use it on road trips it's not going to make much difference.
Exactly. Like you said: if you charge to 100% before leaving on a road trip and do run the battery low, don't leave it there long. Charge it up to ~50% and try to cycle it ~35%-55% for daily drives for max capacity longevity. I get it. Thanks again
 
I never thought to add time it takes to actual GO to the gas stations. I always tell folks it takes about 4 seconds for us to plug in at home and we just go to bed. It takes gas about 5-10 mins to pump. Add up all those 4 seconds thru most of the year and all those 5-10 mins for them and we are WAY WAY ahead on time. Then add in the 20 -30 min charging sessions for (2-4 trips for most people a year) road trips vs their 5-10 mins and the numbers over the course of a year get much closer to being even, but even then, most EV drivers are ahead. Now I'm going to add commute time to and from the gas station...
Gas averages about 90 seconds, plus the time to put the nozzle in/out and swipe a credit card. Roughly 3 minutes total. (In the US, standard gas pump flow rate is 10 gallons/minute). No question DCFC takes way longer than gas.

But home charging is one of the biggest benefits of EVs. Especially at residential electricity rates which tend to run about 1/3rd DCFC pricing.
 
I did it a couple weekends ago. East Bay just West of Walnut Creek to Tahoe Donner. 177.1 miles. 76.2 kWh at 2.31mi/kWh. But I was going 75-80 when possible. Got there with close to 100 miles of range left from a 90% SOC at the start (I think). I didn't fully charge before I left is all I remember.
Super helpful and what I was thinking.
 
Gas averages about 90 seconds, plus the time to put the nozzle in/out and swipe a credit card. Roughly 3 minutes total. (In the US, standard gas pump flow rate is 10 gallons/minute). No question DCFC takes way longer than gas.

But home charging is one of the biggest benefits of EVs. Especially at residential electricity rates which tend to run about 1/3rd DCFC pricing.
Regarding home charging; in colder clime and love driving by the gas station watching folks shiver that 3-4 mins!
 
I've lost the cite, but on another thread here we discussed a recent engineering study that showed fast discharge under heavy load was actually good for EV batteries. Those of us with heavy feet reveled in the finding.

I wonder about that study, because it doesn't make sense. If you fast charge and fast discharge, it is logical to assume it is harder on the cells. A study that shows the opposite is interesting, but is it valid?

IDK. My Mach-e had higher than typical battery degradation and I blame lots of WOTs. Nothing else I did was super stressful.
 
I wonder about that study, because it doesn't make sense. If you fast charge and fast discharge, it is logical to assume it is harder on the cells. A study that shows the opposite is interesting, but is it valid?

IDK. My Mach-e had higher than typical battery degradation and I blame lots of WOTs. Nothing else I did was super stressful.
I might have read the same article as hmp10. It said “occasional” fast charge/discharge is good for the battery. I made a point of showing it to my wife and said “see honey, when I get my Gravity, I am occasionally going to have to romp on it. It’s good for the battery.”
 
  • I drive between my homes in Phoenix AZ and CA (Ranch Palos Verdes through 2023, exactly 400 miles door-to-door, and Sausalito now, ~780 miles).
  • I have a 2022 AGT. Over the years, I drove these trips on 4 different cars; a 2017 Lexus RX450, 2019 Hona Clarity, 2022 AGT, and 2023 Rivian R1S (large pack).
  • in terms of "Time Efficiency" (i.e., how long does it take to go from one place to the other), my ICE-hybrids can do the 780 mile trip in ~11 hours. My record was 10.5 hours in my Lexus.
  • As for the EVs, the AGT takes ~12.5 hours (780 miles) with two charging stops. From 100% SoC to 5% SoC, the most I ever got from my AGT is ~375 miles range. The Rivian takes ~13.5-14 hours, with 3 charging stops, and slower charging than the AGT.
  • So, my conclusions:
    • if range/shortest travel time/range anxiety are your key concerns, go with an ICE hybrid.
    • the AGT is a 375 mile range car when driven 75mph in AZ Hwy and 70mph on CA highways, ~73% of Lucid's advertised range. That said, my drives (I-10/I-5) do have some elevation changes and I am going from 100% to 5%. Hence, if you take all of these into account, I'd say the AGT delivers ~78+/-% of its claimed range (100% SoC to 0%). Still a good range, but not as good as Lucid suggests.
    • My Rivian delivers close to 2.5 mi/kWh, pretty much inline with Rivian's claims.
  • To all my CA friends, you folks have no idea what range-anxiety is. There are so many chargers along CA highways you will never get stuck! All you are moaning about is whether you can get to Tahoe from the Bay Area in one charge! 😉
Oh I hear ya. We are lucky that we are likely to never be stranded because the the abundance of chargers and proximity to highways. I'm merely trying to figure out before I receive the GGT, whether I can make my most common drive, without stopping. SJ to Carnelian Bay (240 miles). Yes it's a luxury to do without stopping - but that's my drive and preferred outcome. No ICE has to stop on that drive, so why should I have to compromise with my "Never Compromise" EV SUV? ;)
 
Oh I hear ya. We are lucky that we are likely to never be stranded because the the abundance of chargers and proximity to highways. I'm merely trying to figure out before I receive the GGT, whether I can make my most common drive, without stopping. SJ to Carnelian Bay (240 miles). Yes it's a luxury to do without stopping - but that's my drive and preferred outcome. No ICE has to stop on that drive, so why should I have to compromise with my "Never Compromise" EV SUV? ;)
Yep. And whether it takes a 100% starting charge to do it. Some round-trip destinations may be fine when leaving home at 100%, but if you're counting on a DCFC at or near the destination before the return trip, it's a different matter because it's usually not practical to DCFC up to 100%. More like somewhere between 80-90%, which means slicing 10-20% off the range number.

For me it's hoping I can make a my frequent 785 mile Denver-Vegas drive in just 2 stops (like ICE). That's my goal. Leg 1 can be longer, leaving home at 100%. But legs 2 and 3 can't go as far because I'll only be DCFCing to 80-90%. Leg 2 is 272 miles between IONNA stations. Sounds like that may not work. Not the end of the world to do a 3rd charge stop, of course (our Mach-E takes 5, and our Macan 4), but when paying $100k+ for a "450 mile" super-range EV, it would be a bit disappointing not to make it to 272 on that leg. But I've grown doubtful that's gonna happen reading people's results coming in less than expected.
 
^^^^ After reaching out to my sales associate / now delivery specialist, she confirmed that my GGT White Tahoe Fully Loaded 7 seater 20/21's has completed production and she's waiting to hear when it will be scheduled for transport to the SF Bay area.

Likely it will still be a couple weeks before I have it but once I do I will do a couple drives and report back. If there is a specific distance / speed combo you'd like me to try out, lmk. The big drive test will be the following:

San Jose to Carnelian Bay (Lake Tahoe), 240 miles. I'll first peg 75 mph on the highway and report back on range and consumption rates. I'll pause in Auburn and take a reading there, as that will be the end of the flat or nearly flat component of the trip.

I'll likely be travelling late in the evening and therefore won't have any traffic disruptions. If there are other speed combo's on largely flat road you'd like me to report on, lmk. I can likely do 80 mph for 100 miles if that is helpful for others.
 
and our Macan 4), but when paying $100k+ for a "450 mile" super-range EV
To be fair, 450 miles isn’t based on a trip that sounds mainly like highway at 70+ mph with varying topography and weather. We can discuss whether that’s the “right” way for the EPA to assign an estimate, but we know how it is done now and you won’t get 450 miles unless you have ideal conditions and speed, etc.
 
To be fair, 450 miles isn’t based on a trip that sounds mainly like highway at 70+ mph with varying topography and weather. We can discuss whether that’s the “right” way for the EPA to assign an estimate, but we know how it is done now and you won’t get 450 miles unless you have ideal conditions and speed, etc.
Of course. No one expects 450 highway range (not if they know how EVs work). But I think 400 was a reasonable highway expectation, given Lucid's reputation for range and efficiency.

I don't think anyone is even getting very close to 450 city. That's 3.83 MPK. Seen a few short-term reports getting ~3.5 but even that doesn't seem sustainable.
 
Of course. No one expects 450 highway range (not if they know how EVs work). But I think 400 was a reasonable highway expectation, given Lucid's reputation for range and efficiency.

I don't think anyone is even getting very close to 450 city. That's 3.83 MPK. Seen a few short-term reports getting ~3.5 but even that doesn't seem sustainable.
All I know is my 21/22, 7 seater has rated range of 386 and dynamic range is equal to rated range when dynamic shows 3.30 kWh. Which matches with about 117 kw usable on battery.

I can get 3.3+ on highway, but I have to be conscious of speed, have good weather, etc.
 
All I know is my 21/22, 7 seater has rated range of 386 and dynamic range is equal to rated range when dynamic shows 3.30 kWh. Which matches with about 117 kw usable on battery.

I can get 3.3+ on highway, but I have to be conscious of speed, have good weather, etc.
That's better than most reports I've seen. Most seem to top out around 3.0, or the high 2s. Even in the 450 trim.

But it is encouraging to see a few reports better than that. Hoping to see more as cars break in.
 
That's better than most reports I've seen. Most seem to top out around 3.0, or the high 2s. Even in the 450 trim.

But it is encouraging to see a few reports better than that. Hoping to see more as cars break in.
Good point. I’ve done that past 2,000 miles and now have over 5,000 miles.
 
The Air itself manages 3.3 miles/kwh in OOS road trip at 75mph. 2.9 miles/kwh at 80mph in the 10% challenge. Guaranteed the Gravity will be less. I suspect 2.9 or 3 miles/kwh at 75mph best case.

Which is still pretty good though. My Rivian does about 2.3-2.4 at that speed
On my California to New Mexico trip recently I got above 3.2 while drafting behind Semis. Max follow distance… also the Fastest DC chargers really improve the road trips… splash and dash takes on a whole new meaning when you get close to 80 % refreshed in under 20 minutes. YMMV of course… Gravity also cruises wonderfully at higher highway speeds.
 
I set my cruise for 80 mph when traveling, so I am on the same page. (I would drive faster but promised my wife I would not. Happy wife!)

The only reason I am focused on 75 mph and 70 mph results is because that is the speed independent testers are using. Using their test data is helpful when guessing what the Gravity will do. I wish they would test at 80 mph, but for whatever reason, they don't.

I want to go as far as possible on the highway. If it turns out the Gravity can't go 300 miles on the highway at a reasonable speed, it will significantly reduce the probability I will get one. I won't say for sure it is off the list, but I want range. As much as possible. (And something that will fit in my garage, because the long-range GM BEV offerings do not.)
It definitely fits in garage… Same length as the Model X with much better space utilization/optimization. The GM efforts seem clownish when you consider efficiency and charging speeds. Their best is the pickup which is prolly best for towing and utility because of their monster batteries.
 
You should move. I spent a week driving that Acadia around FL and your neighbors whipped in and out of lanes around me as I was comfortably doing 92 or something, so I don’t think this is an issue with how fast you drive. :)


And rubber.


Source? I’d love to see this; I know nothing about the Hankooks and am curious.
I heard the Hankooks were weak in wet weather and yet I gently pushed mine a bit the other day after some first rain… when road would be at worst… seemed solid and grippy enough… didn’t slip at all that I could detect… felt stable as usual. Only just breaking em in at 4k miles so… will keep an eye on them Hankook seems interested in ev optimizations like stiffer sidewalls and sound insulation.
 
Nobody will believe this, but my 2014 Chevy Spark will continuously charge if I get about 20ft behind a simi. Wife will also continuously bi...
Interesting reaction to drafting from the wife....
 
Back
Top