Glass vs metal roof

All the owner experience indicates that coating technology has vastly improve. This is great new! However, I still like the metal roof of my 2013 Tesla S 85, the free lifetime charging and the free internet service. I‘m planning to keep the Tesla even though I’ve ordered the Air which will probably be delivered some next year. That reservation is worth about $10k if I decide to sell the Lucid Air.

I'm so glad you asked Steve. For anyone in AZ (especially the Phoenix area) who wants an amazingly fun drive, I highly recommend 87 to Payson. There are great climbs (6% or so), wonderful turns, and a lower number of spots for law enforcement to admire the car. The traffic is also typically pretty light - at least when compared to I-17. The drive was so amazing that my son asked me why I was so quiet on the trip. I remember when I replaced my Buick Enclave with a Ram 1500 truck marveling at how easy it was do go uphill doing 80 mph. This is a whole other level. Heading up Mt Ord, 105 was my top speed only because there were just enough curves to keep me honest. It could have easily done 10-20 more if not higher. Curves that I typically ramp down to 65-70 on in my Jeep or Truck were easily handled at 80-85 without appreciable g-forces. I've driven the road many, many times, so I had a bit of an advantage, but I never dreamed how effortlessly it would treat this road. Absolutely amazing and really the first time I have been able to get even close to appreciating the full power, smoothness and handling. Just really, really fun!

There is one downside though - range (though expected somewhat). Knowing that I'd have the AC going pretty good, the speed going even more, and the uphill portion of the trip in front of me, I charged it up to 300 mi in range before I left. The roughly 80 mile trip left me with an average of 2.0 mi kWh, and I only got that bc the speed limit is low once you hit Payson city limits. All would have been fine as I was going to use the dryer outlet to charge the car back. Unfortunately, when I arrived at my place, I found I had a 10-30 outlet, so I need to get an adapter. I should be alright going back as I'm using the 110 to give me another 35 mi in range or so which should leave me with about 160 for the mostly downhill portion back. But it means I'll have to save the unbridled joy of the return for another time. 75 and ACC only for me tomorrow.

But just so fun!

Thanks so much. Your experience is one of the reasons I want the large range (other reason is that I am currently limited to a 20 amp dedicated 240 circuit in my garage). I want to be able to enjoy driving my car and that means, for me, AC always on and most of the time spirited driving. 2 miles per kWh actually sounds pretty good for your trip. Have you ever clocked your gasoline mileage on the same trip?

A wonderful trip and you remained much south of the fire on 87. The most I have taken my BMW 530e is 105 on the passing lane on the uphill section of AZ-74 (Carefree Highway) leaving Quintero and heading back to Scottsdale. That felt like I was driving 60 mph. Can't wait to see how the Lucid feels.

I do want to compare it to the competition, however. I am test driving the new BMWs (IX and I4) this Friday at Fashion Square.

There is little to no aftermarket mods for the Lucid right now. Which makes sense given the amount of cars on the road, but there are certainly quite a few options to personalize our cars with generic stuff!

There is little to no aftermarket mods for the Lucid right now. Which makes sense given the amount of cars on the road, but there are certainly quite a few options to personalize our cars with generic stuff!
Yeah, I've emailed WeatherTech a couple of times in the last few weeks to ask about the ETA's for the Lucid floor liners and windshield sunshade which their website says are "coming soon." No response. I've purchased the famous Motor Trend floor and trunk mats to hold me over, but I really need a windshield sunshade.

Yeah, I've emailed WeatherTech a couple of times in the last few weeks to ask about the ETA's for the Lucid floor liners and windshield sunshade which their website says are "coming soon." No response. I've purchased the famous Motor Trend floor and trunk mats to hold me over, but I really need a windshield sunshade.
I thought about one but the glass up top and it's just too much work to take it all down everytime. Or get one of those umbrella shades!

this was somehow recommended on my youtube feed....this would be painful to sit through for those that chose canopy

this was somehow recommended on my youtube feed....this would be painful to sit through for those that chose canopy
Pretty sure no matter what if you get stuck in that glass or metal you are le screwed!

64828C1A-E487-452E-B2A3-14417862D25D.jpeg
View attachment 3879

Not perfect fits not not too bad. The central arm rest photos are to show how much ‘shade’ you can get from these inserts at full overhead sun. One of them gives almost complete sun block protection but also blacks out the view significantly.

Attachments

• 9AA9FDAB-D0F0-4B85-8623-D4E7FD4253E6.jpeg
    9AA9FDAB-D0F0-4B85-8623-D4E7FD4253E6.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 3E61AB03-490A-45C2-8E35-BE9A347DB803.jpeg
    3E61AB03-490A-45C2-8E35-BE9A347DB803.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 78
Pretty sure no matter what if you get stuck in that glass or metal you are le screwed!
true, but i was thinking more from a safety standpoint. in the video, the back shattered glass, but at least they had the metal roof for some level of protection

I built my own sun covers for the roof panels. Corrugated plastic panels cut to size (sort of) with reflective material glued to the upside. Snug fit and made the wife happy reduced the glare inside! Think it reduced temperature. slightly.

Back