Glass vs metal roof

At this time of the year the sun is much lower in the sky. Check it out in the summer when the sun is high in the sky.

We got our Model S Plaid with full glass roof on August 21 in South Florida where the sun is intense year round. I was amazed at how well the new coatings block IR transmission into the cabin. It was vastly more effective than in our older Tesla. And the Lucid Air (and Rivian) use this new coating technology.

Even in January down here -- where we have some days in the low 90's -- the sun is very strong. Switching between our Tesla and our Lucid, we did not notice any more heat gain in the Lucid than in the Tesla.

I don't even check any more to see if Tesla is now offering the mesh screen, as I would not bother with it.

I just remembered I bought an aftermarket sun screen for my Model S Plaid before I really drove it. Mistake.

Owners have taken delivery of their glass roofed Dream editions in the winter when the sun is much lower in the sky. Wait till summer comes, and they will start to notice how hot the interior gets. Driving to La Vegas or in the dessert will be a challenge! This was a big discovery for Tesla owners as well. I‘ve owned a model S since 2013 and I have a Lucid reservation for a AT. The reason I picked the AT over the AGT is that the AGT does not allow for a downgrade to a metal roof. There should be an optional shade cover for those glass roofs.
I live in Rancho Mirage and have the same concern. Temperatures reach 120f+ and reaches 100f every day for four months. I did see several owner reviews where “brightness” was an issue. I asked both my Lucid Sales Rep and Lucid Corporate about a metal roof option for the GT but have received no response. Saudi Arabia will certainly be a test market for heat and glare. Finally, living in the desert we need hard paint. The blowing sand is really hard on paint finishes.

I live in Rancho Mirage and have the same concern. Temperatures reach 120f+ and reaches 100f every day for four months. I did see several owner reviews where “brightness” was an issue. I asked both my Lucid Sales Rep and Lucid Corporate about a metal roof option for the GT but have received no response. Saudi Arabia will certainly be a test market for heat and glare. Finally, living in the desert we need hard paint. The blowing sand is really hard on paint finishes.
Have not had an issue. It was 103 today. The only caveat is that if you're trying to cool the car while sitting, it doesn't get as cool as I might like. But when driving it cools down quite nicely. The sun brightness itself has never been an issue for me.

Interesting that it cools better when driving. On a ICE car a fan belt spins the AC compressor faster as the engine goes faster so it cools better at speed but I imagine the AC compressor on a EV is electric and spins the same rpm no matter if the car goes slow or fast so it should cool the same all the time. Anyone know for sure?

Agreed...I thought it wouldn't make a difference, but I needed to charge before I got going on my trip to Payson AZ and I just couldn't get it as cool as I wanted. But once I got underway, I dropped the fan speed from 10 to 4.

Lol. You think Tesla put as much thought into their interior quality as Lucid?

Tesla is a company that put less than automotive grade monitors in their early cars. And refused to replace them when they yellowed from the heat of their poorly insulated windows. They recently took controls out of the passenger seat because no one was using them. Tesla is not a luxury company. They have really cool tech and and ahead in battery and autopilot. But luxury they are not.

Lucid has already redesigned their windshield 3-4 times. And has offered to replace ones that people want changed. They have an eye on quality and workmanship and the customer experience.

Agreed...I thought it wouldn't make a difference, but I needed to charge before I got going on my trip to Payson AZ and I just couldn't get it as cool as I wanted. But once I got underway, I dropped the fan speed from 10 to 4.
As I waffle on my Touring res (I gave up on Audi e tron GT), I'm looking seriously at BMW iX (pls don't talk to me about the grille).

One cool thing BMW offers is a button to instantly, chemically, change the moonroof from clear to opaque...and back. In a perfect world this would have been a Lucid scoop....(I know, startup, capital allocation,,,I've been there)

I go back to the BMW Bavaria days, and have owned them for decades...until they completely lost their design mind. In all ways other than front-end design, the Xi is compelling (does duct tape come in different colors/)

Do the metal roofs have insulation or any other factors that reflect the heat absorption? Just curious.

I get the glare concern, because we had the same, but have not had any issues in the Texas sun.

As a reminder, the glass installed on the Lucid, according to a Lucid rep, includes a PVB layer, which blocks 99% of the UV. The Ag3 coating reflects IR, a major contributor of heat which results in Total Solar Energy Rejection (TSER) of about 54%"

Do the metal roofs have insulation or any other factors that reflect the heat absorption? Just curious.

I get the glare concern, because we had the same, but have not had any issues in the Texas sun.

As a reminder, the glass installed on the Lucid, according to a Lucid rep, includes a PVB layer, which blocks 99% of the UV. The Ag3 coating reflects IR, a major contributor of heat which results in Total Solar Energy Rejection (TSER) of about 54%"

As I waffle on my Touring res (I gave up on Audi e tron GT), I'm looking seriously at BMW iX (pls don't talk to me about the grille).

One cool thing BMW offers is a button to instantly, chemically, change the moonroof from clear to opaque...and back. In a perfect world this would have been a Lucid scoop....(I know, startup, capital allocation,,,I've been there)

I go back to the BMW Bavaria days, and have owned them for decades...until they completely lost their design mind. In all ways other than front-end design, the Xi is compelling (does duct tape come in different colors/)
BMW iXM60 has less than 300 mile range. I had an Audi Etron lease and range was an issue. Going to Phoenix from Rancho Mirage required two charges each way. Driving a BMW 850 GC and may buy gas until technology progresses.

BMW iXM60 has less than 300 mile range. I had an Audi Etron lease and range was an issue. Going to Phoenix from Rancho Mirage required two charges each way. Driving a BMW 850 GC and may buy gas until technology progresses.
You could make that trip nonstop in the Air

I know. I have a reservation in on a GT. Just had the one concern about the glass canopy. Would like to see a little more owner feedback.
You wont get any until summer lol.

That is a great test run. Uphill most of the way. How fast were you driving and what were your range results on the way there (I know your return will get great range results)?

BTW...sounds similar to what I do in hot weather when parking at a golf course on my PHEV. If I don't use the phone app to turn on the AC while I am finishing, then I hit max and after about five minutes go back to auto.

Have not had an issue. It was 103 today. The only caveat is that if you're trying to cool the car while sitting, it doesn't get as cool as I might like. But when driving it cools down quite nicely. The sun brightness itself has never been an issue for me.
I posted this curve in another thread showing that the car cools quickly to about 90 but not below. I believe when the car is moving there is better air flow over the AC condenser giving better cooling. When parked, the car runs a fun to create airflow over the condenser.

That is a great test run. Uphill most of the way. How fast were you driving and what were your range results on the way there (I know your return will get great range results)?

BTW...sounds similar to what I do in hot weather when parking at a golf course on my PHEV. If I don't use the phone app to turn on the AC while I am finishing, then I hit max and after about five minutes go back to auto.
I'm so glad you asked Steve. For anyone in AZ (especially the Phoenix area) who wants an amazingly fun drive, I highly recommend 87 to Payson. There are great climbs (6% or so), wonderful turns, and a lower number of spots for law enforcement to admire the car. The traffic is also typically pretty light - at least when compared to I-17. The drive was so amazing that my son asked me why I was so quiet on the trip. I remember when I replaced my Buick Enclave with a Ram 1500 truck marveling at how easy it was do go uphill doing 80 mph. This is a whole other level. Heading up Mt Ord, 105 was my top speed only because there were just enough curves to keep me honest. It could have easily done 10-20 more if not higher. Curves that I typically ramp down to 65-70 on in my Jeep or Truck were easily handled at 80-85 without appreciable g-forces. I've driven the road many, many times, so I had a bit of an advantage, but I never dreamed how effortlessly it would treat this road. Absolutely amazing and really the first time I have been able to get even close to appreciating the full power, smoothness and handling. Just really, really fun!

There is one downside though - range (though expected somewhat). Knowing that I'd have the AC going pretty good, the speed going even more, and the uphill portion of the trip in front of me, I charged it up to 300 mi in range before I left. The roughly 80 mile trip left me with an average of 2.0 mi kWh, and I only got that bc the speed limit is low once you hit Payson city limits. All would have been fine as I was going to use the dryer outlet to charge the car back. Unfortunately, when I arrived at my place, I found I had a 10-30 outlet, so I need to get an adapter. I should be alright going back as I'm using the 110 to give me another 35 mi in range or so which should leave me with about 160 for the mostly downhill portion back. But it means I'll have to save the unbridled joy of the return for another time. 75 and ACC only for me tomorrow.

But just so fun!

I'm so glad you asked Steve. For anyone in AZ (especially the Phoenix area) who wants an amazingly fun drive, I highly recommend 87 to Payson. There are great climbs (6% or so), wonderful turns, and a lower number of spots for law enforcement to admire the car. The traffic is also typically pretty light - at least when compared to I-17. The drive was so amazing that my son asked me why I was so quiet on the trip. I remember when I replaced my Buick Enclave with a Ram 1500 truck marveling at how easy it was do go uphill doing 80 mph. This is a whole other level. Heading up Mt Ord, 105 was my top speed only because there were just enough curves to keep me honest. It could have easily done 10-20 more if not higher. Curves that I typically ramp down to 65-70 on in my Jeep or Truck were easily handled at 80-85 without appreciable g-forces. I've driven the road many, many times, so I had a bit of an advantage, but I never dreamed how effortlessly it would treat this road. Absolutely amazing and really the first time I have been able to get even close to appreciating the full power, smoothness and handling. Just really, really fun!

There is one downside though - range (though expected somewhat). Knowing that I'd have the AC going pretty good, the speed going even more, and the uphill portion of the trip in front of me, I charged it up to 300 mi in range before I left. The roughly 80 mile trip left me with an average of 2.0 mi kWh, and I only got that bc the speed limit is low once you hit Payson city limits. All would have been fine as I was going to use the dryer outlet to charge the car back. Unfortunately, when I arrived at my place, I found I had a 10-30 outlet, so I need to get an adapter. I should be alright going back as I'm using the 110 to give me another 35 mi in range or so which should leave me with about 160 for the mostly downhill portion back. But it means I'll have to save the unbridled joy of the return for another time. 75 and ACC only for me tomorrow.

But just so fun!
Sure sounds like fun. Sorry couldn't join you guys today.

Sure sounds like fun. Sorry couldn't join you guys today.
I don't think the meet up happened. We have a place up here, so we come often. But I will say, the next meet up should definitely be here. Saw about 10+ BMW convertibles entering Tonto Bridge state park as we were leaving. Might be a good destination point.

I don't think the meet up happened. We have a place up here, so we come often. But I will say, the next meet up should definitely be here. Saw about 10+ BMW convertibles entering Tonto Bridge state park as we were leaving. Might be a good destination point.
Then you might need to install additional electrical outlets!

Back