Getting very low mileage

Your distance in trips also makes a huge difference. The longer your trip the better the mileage will be. Every trip the battery needs to condition itself and warmup and that takes a lot of energy. If you take a lot of small trips you will get less mileage because you are conditioning the battery more. Even with my Tesla Model S I would get 50% range in the winter and in the summer I would get around 85% range with my driving style..

I'd say the neighborhood driving is most likely what's killing your range. The Air is a heavy cruiser. It's optimized for long stretches on the highway. Getting it up to speed from a stop is a lot of work, due to the weight. So constantly stopping at stop signs and red lights eats away at range like nobody's business.

I myself get pretty bad range around my neighborhood. Once I take a longer highway drive, my efficiency goes way up.

This is very interesting to me. I am currently driving a 2023 GV60 Performance and I, and other Genesis GV60 owners, are having the exact opposite effect. Driving on the highway at 75-80 is killing efficiency at around 2.7 (I do it anyway) but city driving is generating between 3.3 and 4.2 mkh depending on the driver and conditions.

I wonder if it has to do with the fact that the Lucid does hot use a blended brake system and the gV60 does?

This is very interesting to me. I am currently driving a 2023 GV60 Performance and I, and other Genesis GV60 owners, are having the exact opposite effect. Driving on the highway at 75-80 is killing efficiency at around 2.7 (I do it anyway) but city driving is generating between 3.3 and 4.2 mkh depending on the driver and conditions.

I wonder if it has to do with the fact that the Lucid does hot use a blended brake system and the gV60 does?
With low cd but heavy cars you will see better results on a highway. Opposite is true of lighter higher CD cars.

3.1 is about what you would expect going 75-80. EPA testing is done at 55mph.
Interestingly the EPA has a number of tests including an “high acceleration aggressive driving schedule” that includes speeds up to 80mph. I am not sure how that data is included with the overall ratings but it would be great to see that data for Lucid (and other cars) not just the aggregate numbers. https://www.epa.gov/vehicle-and-fuel-emissions-testing/dynamometer-drive-schedules

As we all know Winter driving can take 20-30% from your range. This is due to reduced cell capacity, denser air and interior heat use. I'm not familiar with Lucid battery management, they might include heating the battery in frigid temperatures which is a constant 6kw draw for up to 30 minutes. Both my I4 and EV6 will automatically heat the battery if I add a DC charging station to the cars Nav route. Finally, the slick numbers on the cars dynamics means nothing to weight - the Lucid is heavy from design and has to carry a larger battery pack, it's all trade offs. My EV6 gets 275-300 miles in winter but its a smaller car and only has to push a 77kw battery around. Enjoy your great cars guys!

Regards - Mike

Your distance in trips also makes a huge difference. The longer your trip the better the mileage will be. Every trip the battery needs to condition itself and warmup and that takes a lot of energy. If you take a lot of small trips you will get less mileage because you are conditioning the battery more. Even with my Tesla Model S I would get 50% range in the winter and in the summer I would get around 85% range with my driving style..
Great Thread Guys - Generally speaking, it does not matter how many short trips you make verses a long trip. Since short trips normally occur at lower average speeds, you'll actually have increased range, where most long trips include major highway driving, where you are forced to travel at a higher speeds reducing your range.

The HV battery does not really condition itself for every trip. Conditioning mostly occurs when plugged into your level 2 charger. By setting a departure time, the battery (and cabin) is warmed to around 70 degrees so you can enjoy summer battery range in winter. This type of preconditioning is supplemented by the wall unit and not the battery. Keep in mind, there is two different preconditioning protocols, there is preconditioning just the cabin as you do from your App, then there is preconditioning the cabin and HV battery which normally requires a departure time and a click to condition.

In Route Preconditioning of the HV battery is different - it uses the HV battery to heat itself as you are in driving to a DC charging station. The BCM permits heating the battery to enable faster DC charging when you arrive at the charging station. While some EV's have a tile on the menu for this feature, most EVs use the cars Navigation to calculate speed and distance to the station. (Not Waze or Google) HV Battery heating generally uses an element heater of around 6-8 kw. which can heat a 30 degree F battery to 70 degrees in 30-40 minutes so you can enjoy fast charging.

I provided some images from my EV6 during "In Route Conditioning" to a DC charging station. Keep in mind this heating only occurs for DC charging reasons and not to optimize the battery since it reduces range. Note on the right side of the Energy Information display is the "Battery Care" info showing live current as it heats the battery. The next image shows a heating coil on the Speed O dash so the driver can watch the process without digging thru a menu. Keep in mind, this heating protocol reduces range so if your tight getting to the station, this will reduce your range. Most EV's will not allow heating if the battery is below 20% SOC I would think that Lucid would provide this information in their menu so owners would know when the battery is heating and completed. Enjoy your great ride!

Regards - Mike

ERERGY INFO.jpeg

COIL CLOSE.jpeg
A-EV6-3.jpeg

Great Thread Guys - Generally speaking, it does not matter how many short trips you make verses a long trip. Since short trips normally occur at lower average speeds, you'll actually have increased range, where most long trips include major highway driving, where you are forced to travel at a higher speeds reducing your range.

The HV battery does not really condition itself for every trip. Conditioning mostly occurs when plugged into your level 2 charger. By setting a departure time, the battery (and cabin) is warmed to around 70 degrees so you can enjoy summer battery range in winter. This type of preconditioning is supplemented by the wall unit and not the battery. Keep in mind, there is two different preconditioning protocols, there is preconditioning just the cabin as you do from your App, then there is preconditioning the cabin and HV battery which normally requires a departure time and a click to condition.

In Route Preconditioning of the HV battery is different - it uses the HV battery to heat itself as you are in driving to a DC charging station. The BCM permits heating the battery to enable faster DC charging when you arrive at the charging station. While some EV's have a tile on the menu for this feature, most EVs use the cars Navigation to calculate speed and distance to the station. (Not Waze or Google) HV Battery heating generally uses an element heater of around 6-8 kw. which can heat a 30 degree F battery to 70 degrees in 30-40 minutes so you can enjoy fast charging.

I provided some images from my EV6 during "In Route Conditioning" to a DC charging station. Keep in mind this heating only occurs for DC charging reasons and not to optimize the battery since it reduces range. Note on the right side of the Energy Information display is the "Battery Care" info showing live current as it heats the battery. The next image shows a heating coil on the Speed O dash so the driver can watch the process without digging thru a menu. Keep in mind, this heating protocol reduces range so if your tight getting to the station, this will reduce your range. Most EV's will not allow heating if the battery is below 20% SOC I would think that Lucid would provide this information in their menu so owners would know when the battery is heating and completed. Enjoy your great ride!

Regards - Mike

View attachment 9675

View attachment 9676View attachment 9679
Wow, I really like the EV6 app. No such info in the Lucid menu.

Hello I'm sure Lucid will add a number of features OTA in due time. BMW offers simuliar precondition features as well such as setting departure heating of the battery and in route heating as well. On some models they have a tile on the dash to manually select heating or cooling the battery for DC charging.

I thought I seen a thread where Lucid did offer a menu for pre-heating? I looked though the entire manual but maybe missed it.

Mike

Attachments

• batt fix.jpeg
    batt fix.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 57
Hello I'm sure Lucid will add a number of features OTA in due time. BMW offers simuliar precondition features as well such as setting departure heating of the battery and in route heating as well. On some models they have a tile on the dash to manually select heating or cooling the battery for DC charging.

I thought I seen a thread where Lucid did offer a menu for pre-heating? I looked though the entire manual but maybe missed it.

Mike
Its on the app I think.

Battery pre-conditioning is found under the charging icon on the pilot panel.
Climate pre-conditioning can be done from the app.

Last edited:
Hey guys I wanted to add that BMW offers simuliar precondition features as well, such as setting departure heating of the battery and in route heating as well. On some models they have a tile on the dash (below) to manually select heating or cooling of the battery for DC charging. While I charge mostly at home, pre-heating the battery before you leave in the morning enables the owner to enjoy summer range during winter, plus it prevents the battery from being damaged during cold charging. I did a test and heated my Kia battery at home to 70 degrees one evening which I confirmed by an OBD reader then left the car outside in 30 degree weather. In the morning the battery was still showed 46 degrees, which is still good temperature for range so they will hold temperature for a while. While many guys believe driving heats the battery this is really not the case, while it will increase a few degrees, 800-900 volt systems like Kia Porsche and Lucid create very little heat when charging or under high discharge, which is why they can fast charge so quickly.

I thought I seen a thread where Lucid did offer a menu for pre-heating? I looked though the entire manual last night but maybe missed it. Does anyone recall seeing this feature?

Mike

A BMWI43.JPG

Attachments

• STATUS 34.jpeg
    STATUS 34.jpeg
    437.8 KB · Views: 56
There is some misinformation here.

City driving should have better efficiency than highway driving for EVs. The lower speed, less wind drag, and more opportunity for regenerative braking to recapture power means EVs have better local efficiency than highway. The official Lucid EPA ratings show the wh/mi for city/highway driving and depends on model where some have better city vs highway and others have better highway vs city but they are very close.

I've been following Lucid efficiency because that is one of the main reasons I would get a LUCID. But these efficiency #s are quite a miss. The germans are outperforming their EPA #s, Teslas have the least efficiency losses in cold weather due to their superior thermodynamic system (heat pump and octovalve).

To put into perspective, my heavy X Plaid with worse aerodynamics has real world efficiency of 3.8 miles/kw. I have a Pure that is being asked to finalize config but I don't know. My guess is Lucid sees major efficiency drop off when not in ideal temperatures and needs to improve their thermoregulating system.

Hey guys I wanted to add that BMW offers simuliar precondition features as well, such as setting departure heating of the battery and in route heating as well. On some models they have a tile on the dash (below) to manually select heating or cooling of the battery for DC charging. While I charge mostly at home, pre-heating the battery before you leave in the morning enables the owner to enjoy summer range during winter, plus it prevents the battery from being damaged during cold charging. I did a test and heated my Kia battery at home to 70 degrees one evening which I confirmed by an OBD reader then left the car outside in 30 degree weather. In the morning the battery was still showed 46 degrees, which is still good temperature for range so they will hold temperature for a while. While many guys believe driving heats the battery this is really not the case, while it will increase a few degrees, 800-900 volt systems like Kia Porsche and Lucid create very little heat when charging or under high discharge, which is why they can fast charge so quickly.

I thought I seen a thread where Lucid did offer a menu for pre-heating? I looked though the entire manual last night but maybe missed it. Does anyone recall seeing this feature?

Mike

View attachment 9689
Sorry but I have to ask - if you have a BMW and a Kia, and decided that a Lucid wasn't for you, why did you join a Lucid owners forum? Just to keep posting about your BMW and its features?

There is some misinformation here.

City driving should have better efficiency than highway driving for EVs. The lower speed, less wind drag, and more opportunity for regenerative braking to recapture power means EVs have better local efficiency than highway. The official Lucid EPA ratings show the wh/mi for city/highway driving and depends on model where some have better city vs highway and others have better highway vs city but they are very close.

I've been following Lucid efficiency because that is one of the main reasons I would get a LUCID. But these efficiency #s are quite a miss. The germans are outperforming their EPA #s, Teslas have the least efficiency losses in cold weather due to their superior thermodynamic system (heat pump and octovalve).

To put into perspective, my heavy X Plaid with worse aerodynamics has real world efficiency of 3.8 miles/kw. I have a Pure that is being asked to finalize config but I don't know. My guess is Lucid sees major efficiency drop off when not in ideal temperatures and needs to improve their thermoregulating system.
Did you consider the safety sensors in Lucid absent in your Plaid? Miles per kWh is better in Lucid based on what I know from all my buddies who have Model 3 and Model S. I am averaging 3.5 mi per kWh 50% streets 50% highway normal driving and normal cabin temp. You must be driving very well to get 3.8 which is great. However the range of Pure is good. My opinion is that there is not much difference between 3.5 and 3.8 if you can charge at home. If you cannot charge at home or at the office I do not recommend any EV. Hope this helps. BTW, we like to avoid comparing Lucid and non Lucid in this forum. We are here to help each other with our current and future Lucids. Happy motoring!

Mike

View attachment 9689
Glad to hear that you like your car. In this forum (please see the guidelines), we are here to help the current and future Lucid owners with their cars. Happy motoring! You may want to exlpore a forum for BMW.

Glad to hear that you like your car. In this forum (please see the guidelines), we are here to help the current and future Lucid owners with their cars. Happy motoring! You may want to exlpore a forum for BMW.
It is certainly OK to make a comparison between the Lucid and other EV's to assist future owners with their purchase decision. That said, long posts describing the functionality of a different vehicle are misplaced and should be posted on that manufacturer's forum instead of this one.

Did you consider the safety sensors in Lucid absent in your Plaid? Miles per kWh is better in Lucid based on what I know from all my buddies who have Model 3 and Model S. I am averaging 3.5 mi per kWh 50% streets 50% highway normal driving and normal cabin temp. You must be driving very well to get 3.8 which is great. However the range of Pure is good. My opinion is that there is not much difference between 3.5 and 3.8 if you can charge at home. If you cannot charge at home or at the office I do not recommend any EV. Hope this helps. BTW, we like to avoid comparing Lucid and non Lucid in this forum. We are here to help each other with our current and future Lucids. Happy motoring!
I'm not sure what safety sensors you refer to. I have no complaints about any safety sensor issues with my X

I love efficiency, and a major draw for me to Lucid. That is why I compare vs what I currently drive. I would expect real world efficiency to be 4+mi/kwh otherwise it would be a disappointment to me.

I'm not sure what safety sensors you refer to. I have no complaints about any safety sensor issues with my X

I love efficiency, and a major draw for me to Lucid. That is why I compare vs what I currently drive. I would expect real world efficiency to be 4+mi/kwh otherwise it would be a disappointment to me.

To be totally honest, getting 4+ miles per kilowatt hour on a consistent basis, especially if you’re doing city driving is going to be very very difficult, especially in cooler temperatures. As has been noted consistently on this forum, your best efficiency will be during extended drives at reasonable speeds , where those numbers are certainly attainable.

To be totally honest, getting 4+ miles per kilowatt hour on a consistent basis, especially if you’re doing city driving is going to be very very difficult, especially in cooler temperatures. As has been noted consistently on this forum, your best efficiency will be during extended drives at reasonable speeds , where those numbers are certainly attainable.
thank you for your honesty, others have pointed to like Toms drive with the dream and how it achieved 4+. It seems real world it is not the case

Back