Getting very low mileage

Mhkhadeer

Cars
Lucid Air grand turing
Team Lucid

My car is giving just 50% of expected mileage. I am very disappointed. I am sure it gives low depending on driving etc. but getting just 50% is too low. I called them up and they are saying driving style brake terrain etc. but I am just driving normally.. any settings that you guys can share… I have full degeneration setting…

Most important aspect is ambient temps. Where do you live?

Location? Weather? Elevation change? Temperature? City/hwy driving? Distance? Not much detail in your post.

Location is Redmond WA. It is raining around 40-50 degree Celsius. Some hills up and down on my regular route. Neighborhood driving mostly city. I use daily about 25-30 miles

I am in Redmond WA
We're just a few miles away then. The temps and constant elevation changes has been hitting my efficiency pretty hard. I'm 2.8-3kwh/mi lately on 19" wheels.

I was about 2.5kwh/mi on the 21's

How many miles do you get for 370 miles charging? I only get less than 180 miles

I'm not sure of my total range, but you can just extrapolate pretty easily. With a 118kwh battery, my 3.0 average would give me 354 miles. Gentle city/highway mix use for me.

Wow this is pretty damn good. Even if I get 70% I would not complain…

Team Lucid

My car is giving just 50% of expected mileage. I am very disappointed. I am sure it gives low depending on driving etc. but getting just 50% is too low. I called them up and they are saying driving style brake terrain etc. but I am just driving normally.. any settings that you guys can share… I have full degeneration setting…
How are you determining mileage, by trip or since last charge? Both of these options can be visualized on the screen. If determine m/kWh by since last charge it will be very discouraging as phantom drain , preheat,etc will take a huge toll on efficiency. In cold winter temperatures here ( -20 to about + 25 ) I get 2.7 m/kWh , by trip reading, but as low as 1.9 by since last charge. My car sitting out in a cold lot all day and generous preheating, takes its toll. There is reason for optimism though. In summer my efficiency is outstanding and yours will be also. If you are doing a ton of stop and go in chilly weather your m/kWh will be pretty low but I would think it should be around 3 in those temps. I would try going for a 20-30 mile drive at relatively constant reasonable speed ( 65-70 mph ),reset your trip meter, and see what you get. It should be above 3.

There's also the question of how you charge ... do you charge to 100%, or between 60-80? It takes a bit of power to maintain high SOC. But as has been stated here and elsewhere, temperature is a major factor, followed by the number of stops/starts in driving and the level of acceleration when you do start. As many will tell you, it takes a fair bit of energy to get a heavy vehicle like this moving. (And if you do charge to 100%, you lose regenerative braking until your SOC drops a bit, so the 'stop' part of stops/starts is a nonrecoverable cost to your energy budget.)

Location is Redmond WA. It is raining around 40-50 degree Celsius. Some hills up and down on my regular route. Neighborhood driving mostly city. I use daily about 25-30 miles
How do you drive? Are you the first one away from a light? Or are you the cruiser who moves casually down the road? Also, what method are you using to drive (one pedal?) and what level of regeneration have you set?

I'd say the neighborhood driving is most likely what's killing your range. The Air is a heavy cruiser. It's optimized for long stretches on the highway. Getting it up to speed from a stop is a lot of work, due to the weight. So constantly stopping at stop signs and red lights eats away at range like nobody's business.

I myself get pretty bad range around my neighborhood. Once I take a longer highway drive, my efficiency goes way up.

And I'm okay mostly getting poor range around the city. Because if I'm only driving around town, 30-40 miles per day max, I'm never going to run out of range for the day. I just recharge overnight.

I’m also getting lower mileage with the lower temps. It’s ranging 40s-50s in Phoenix. I usually drive about 25-30 miles each way. Going between 75-85 for about 20 miles of it. But I do have to slow down for switching freeways.

I have the 21 inch tires. I’m supposed to get 470 miles, but get around 300, about 350 when the weather is warmer. The miles per KWh is typically 2.7-3.1

It seems a little low…

I’m also getting lower mileage with the lower temps. It’s ranging 40s-50s in Phoenix. I usually drive about 25-30 miles each way. Going between 75-85 for about 20 miles of it. But I do have to slow down for switching freeways.

I have the 21 inch tires. I’m supposed to get 470 miles, but get around 300, about 350 when the weather is warmer. The miles per KWh is typically 2.7-3.1

It seems a little low…
Slow down to 55 instead of 75 and you'll probably get around 3.6

Slow down to 55 instead of 75 and you'll probably get around 3.6
I guess what I’m asking is the 2.7-3.1 reasonable if I’m actually going 75? And I thought optimal testing was done at 72?

It seems a little low…
I’m also in Phoenix and just changed to 19” tires. I went from 3.2 to almost 4 m/kWh when I changed tires. I was shocked how big a difference it made. I also am a very conservative driver.

I guess what I’m asking is the 2.7-3.1 reasonable if I’m actually going 75? And I thought optimal testing was done at 72?
3.1 is about what you would expect going 75-80. EPA testing is done at 55mph.

Back