Getting Started with Track Driving for a Novice / 20 vs 21 inch wheels

AS10

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Grand Touring
I have a 2022 Air GT with the 19 inch wheels / all season tires in the Seattle, WA area. I have never driven on a raceway/track before and wanted to learn the basics of performance driving over this summer. I have a few questions:
  1. What is a typical sequence of steps for a novice like me to get started? Taking a lesson / buying track day insurance and then just going for it? I am considering the Pacific Raceways track in Kent as that is the closest and seems to have a performance driving school. What should I expect to budget for this over the summer?

2. I noticed that when driving aggressively on corners like highway on-ramps and winding roads, it is fairly easy to oversteer with the 19 inch wheels (and mine already have >20k miles on them). I have driven loaner GT's with both the 21 inch and the 20 inch wheels, and they definitely seem better than the 19s for performance driving. However, due to the gap in time between the two loaner GTs, I was unable to remember whether the 21s or the 20s felt better. I would love to hear your thoughts on this. So far, it seems like the consensus on the forum is that the 20s are a nice balance (lower rates of issues like blowouts or bubbles than the 21s) but the 21 summer wheels/tires are the ideal config for track driving.

3. I am thinking of running the 19s as the winter set (especially given Seattle's rainy weather and non-California like conditions). Debating between the 20's and the 21's as the summer / track set.

4. I like the look of the 21 inch Aero Sport wheels that come with the GT-P's, however I am unable to order these from the Seattle Service center for my car because my VIN is just a regular GT. They suggested a workaround may be buying the rims/tires from another owner and then they can help with the installation/balancing. Do the 21 inch GT-P wheels work well on a normal GT? I would love to explore buying these from an owner in the Seattle area if you were open to this.

Thanks for sharing any knowledge or insights!

I haven't done it yet either with my Lucid, but am planning to when my schedule permits, and so I've looked into this a bit. You might consider an "intro to high performance driving experience" session often put on by local sports car organizations.
  • I am told by an HPDE veteran that especially in the intro courses, accidents are very rare because the instructors are cautious, but you should go by your own risk assessment.
  • Even the 19s on any Lucid is a lot of car for a novice driver. Many consider less grip to be more fun, especially since HPDE isn't a race. I don't expect to be able to drive my lowly Touring at the limit without a lot of practice.
  • Many racetracks prohibit EVs, ostensibly because battery fires are hard to put out and hence they require specialized firefighting equipment.
  • Ensure you have a nearby place to charge at an acceptable rate. Track driving consumes a lot of fuel, whether electrons or gasoline, and you don't want to be stranded at the track.
  • Your local Lucid service center should be able to do a brake flush - often required by the sponsoring organization, and a good idea - and fill out your tech inspection form. I haven't actually done this yet, but my local service manager (Philadelphia area) told me they will.
  • Track driving itself, as long you are operating within what the car was designed to do, should not void your warranty. This according to both a Lucid executive I asked at an owners event and the service manager. (However...I am not the one who decides!)

I like the look of the 21 inch Aero Sport wheels that come with the GT-P's, however I am unable to order these from the Seattle Service center for my car because my VIN is just a regular GT. They suggested a workaround may be buying the rims/tires from another owner and then they can help with the installation/balancing. Do the 21 inch GT-P wheels work well on a normal GT? I would love to explore buying these from an owner in the Seattle area if you were open to this.
I've also seen several sets with tires on ebay. The Aero Sports will fit all the other Air models as well.

I have a 2022 Air GT with the 19 inch wheels / all season tires in the Seattle, WA area. I have never driven on a raceway/track before and wanted to learn the basics of performance driving over this summer. I have a few questions:
  1. What is a typical sequence of steps for a novice like me to get started? Taking a lesson / buying track day insurance and then just going for it? I am considering the Pacific Raceways track in Kent as that is the closest and seems to have a performance driving school. What should I expect to budget for this over the summer?

2. I noticed that when driving aggressively on corners like highway on-ramps and winding roads, it is fairly easy to oversteer with the 19 inch wheels (and mine already have >20k miles on them). I have driven loaner GT's with both the 21 inch and the 20 inch wheels, and they definitely seem better than the 19s for performance driving. However, due to the gap in time between the two loaner GTs, I was unable to remember whether the 21s or the 20s felt better. I would love to hear your thoughts on this. So far, it seems like the consensus on the forum is that the 20s are a nice balance (lower rates of issues like blowouts or bubbles than the 21s) but the 21 summer wheels/tires are the ideal config for track driving.

3. I am thinking of running the 19s as the winter set (especially given Seattle's rainy weather and non-California like conditions). Debating between the 20's and the 21's as the summer / track set.

4. I like the look of the 21 inch Aero Sport wheels that come with the GT-P's, however I am unable to order these from the Seattle Service center for my car because my VIN is just a regular GT. They suggested a workaround may be buying the rims/tires from another owner and then they can help with the installation/balancing. Do the 21 inch GT-P wheels work well on a normal GT? I would love to explore buying these from an owner in the Seattle area if you were open to this.

Thanks for sharing any knowledge or insights!

Hope to hear more about your experience. My FIL is a director for NASA. https://members.drivenasa.com/events, and they have events for all experience levels. He let me take his car out to a novice event earlier this year. I would be a little nervous to take the Lucid out on the track with other cars because it's my daily driver. Another option that is less risky is autocross solo racing, https://www.scca.com/pages/find-your-fun. Some people don't like it because there's no one else to race against but if I were to take my lucid this is probably the event I would participate in. Having some sticky tires would definitely help, especially since the Lucid is a heavier car.

1. I like the look of the 21 inch Aero Sport wheels that come with the GT-P's, however I am unable to order these from the Seattle Service center for my car because my VIN is just a regular GT.
Oh, I meant to comment on this too. I'm really surprised they wouldn't let you order the GT-P wheels because I have a regular GT and they let me order the Aero Sport wheels last year. Hope I don't ever need a replacement. I also thought since they weren't offering the GT-P anymore they were offering those rims on different trims. Is that wrong?

Oh, I meant to comment on this too. I'm really surprised they wouldn't let you order the GT-P wheels because I have a regular GT and they let me order the Aero Sport wheels last year. Hope I don't ever need a replacement. I also thought since they weren't offering the GT-P anymore they were offering those rims on different trims. Is that wrong

Oh, I meant to comment on this too. I'm really surprised they wouldn't let you order the GT-P wheels because I have a regular GT and they let me order the Aero Sport wheels last year. Hope I don't ever need a replacement. I also thought since they weren't offering the GT-P anymore they were offering those rims on different trims. Is that wrong?
The GT-P had the non-stealth Aero-Sport. The stealth version of the Aero Sport wheels are now available as an option with stealth package.

The GT-P had the non-stealth Aero-Sport. The stealth version of the Aero Sport wheels are now available as an option with stealth package.
Interesting. the non-stealth aero sports aren't an option. They must have changed that rule after I ordered them.

I can't speak with absolute certainty re: Lucid but tires are probably going to be a factor if you do a lot of track days with a Lucid.
For that reason alone I'd probably go with 19" vs. 20/21s. :)

Wheel/tire diameter is not really the ultimate determinant of grip. It's really the tread compound and design that make the difference.

You're in a great place for getting started. My personal journey was starting with auto-x. Excellent and safe way to learn what your car will do at the limits.

As you noted - Proformance runs at Pacific. I've taken classes there and they are great. Definitely recommended. Once you're comfortable you can run on lapping days there. There are multiple groups that run events at PR.

I personally love the Ridge. Great track - plenty of runoff. If you have an "off" it is more forgiving imo than PR. Multiple groups run there and offer instruction. I've run with both Hooked on Driving and Turn2 and both were good.

I spent a ton of time auto crossing with WWSCC and even won a couple of season championships in my S2000 back in the day.
Before the season starts they hold a Novice school that is excellent and about the best $ you'll ever spend on learning about what your car can do. I've even pinch hit as an instructor for them (apparently they were desperate that day :D ) but it's a great group of enthusiasts and highly recommended. They used to have a Novice track walk prior to each event which can be very helpful too. Unsure if they still do that but I'm pretty sure they do.

If you run in Novice you can ask for an instructor too.

Have fun!

Yeah, they did not let me order anything that was not an option for a regular GT. Can't order the 21 inch aero sport, any of the stealth options, and ofcourse the dream or sapphire rims. The only options are the regular 19s, 20s, and Aero blade 21s.

Yes these wheels are only available if I have a car with the stealth package. Kind of a bummer because I ordered my car early when it was not even possible to get the stealth option.

I can't speak with absolute certainty re: Lucid but tires are probably going to be a factor if you do a lot of track days with a Lucid.
For that reason alone I'd probably go with 19" vs. 20/21s. :)

Wheel/tire diameter is not really the ultimate determinant of grip. It's really the tread compound and design that make the difference.

You're in a great place for getting started. My personal journey was starting with auto-x. Excellent and safe way to learn what your car will do at the limits.

As you noted - Proformance runs at Pacific. I've taken classes there and they are great. Definitely recommended. Once you're comfortable you can run on lapping days there. There are multiple groups that run events at PR.

I personally love the Ridge. Great track - plenty of runoff. If you have an "off" it is more forgiving imo than PR. Multiple groups run there and offer instruction. I've run with both Hooked on Driving and Turn2 and both were good.

I spent a ton of time auto crossing with WWSCC and even won a couple of season championships in my S2000 back in the day.
Before the season starts they hold a Novice school that is excellent and about the best $ you'll ever spend on learning about what your car can do. I've even pinch hit as an instructor for them (apparently they were desperate that day :D ) but it's a great group of enthusiasts and highly recommended. They used to have a Novice track walk prior to each event which can be very helpful too. Unsure if they still do that but I'm pretty sure they do.

If you run in Novice you can ask for an instructor too.

Have fun!
Thank you, this is extremely helpful!

Thank you, this is extremely helpful!
My pleasure. I've had a good amount of seat time in the area and it's a great spot for motorsports.

If you really get into it I'd probably suggest a dedicated track car. For a track car - weight is really the enemy.
Tough on brakes and really tough on tires.

Back