Recommendations for Tire Pressure for 20 inch Aero Wheels with Michelin Summer Tires.

FA14

Cars
2023 Lucid Air Pure AWD
My 2023 Air Pure AWD which was delivered 2 weeks back came with the 20 inch Aero Wheels & Michelin EV Sport summer tire. I noticed that the tire pressure at 49psi on delivery while the manufacturer recommends 42 psi. What should be the ideal number here for DC area ? Most of my daily driving is city roads with occasional weekend highway drive less than 50 miles.

My 2023 Air Pure AWD which was delivered 2 weeks back came with the 20 inch Aero Wheels & Michelin EV Sport summer tire. I noticed that the tire pressure at 49psi on delivery while the manufacturer recommends 42 psi. What should be the ideal number here for DC area ? Most of my daily driving is city roads with occasional weekend highway drive less than 50 miles.
I'd run the pressure that is shown on the sticker on the driver's door jamb. It's what the chassis engineers decided was the best, safest compromise. 49psi is correct for the 19" wheels.

I'd run the pressure that is shown on the sticker on the driver's door jamb. It's what the chassis engineers decided was the best, safest compromise. 49psi is correct for the 19" wheels.
Mine are 20 inch wheels so not sure why the studio folks had it delivered at 49 psi. The side door jamb says 42 is the recommended psi

For what it is worth, my 2023 Air Touring with 20” wheels was delivered last March with tire pressures at 49 psi, as well. I adjusted them down to 42 psi upon discovering this issue and have experienced no issues with the tires. I guess it’s possible that the higher psi might result in better efficiency, but I would also guess that the higher psi would make the tires more vulnerable to improper wear and damage from road hazards. I suggest lowering the tire pressure to 42 psi as recommended by the information in your door sill.

For what it is worth, my 2023 Air Touring with 20” wheels was delivered last March with tire pressures at 49 psi, as well. I adjusted them down to 42 psi upon discovering this issue and have experienced no issues with the tires. I guess it’s possible that the higher psi might result in better efficiency, but I would also guess that the higher psi would make the tires more vulnerable to improper wear and damage from road hazards. I suggest lowering the tire pressure to 42 psi as recommended by the information in your door sill.
Thank you for the response! I’m hoping the ride will also get a lot smoother with the recommended PSI of 42.

Lucid usually puts my 20 inch pressure at around 49 whenever I have it serviced. I usually keep mine around 45. I figure that's roughly halfway between the doorjamb and what Lucid sets them to.

Thank you for the response! I’m hoping the ride will also get a lot smoother with the recommended PSI of 42.
After posting my reply I did note that there was a tire pressure discussion in another thread in which there was a suggestion that the higher PSI might actually help avoid bubbling of tires. Thought I’d pass this along. Having said that, I have not experienced the issue with my 20” tires at 42 psi in the Northeast with notoriously poor roads, especially during the winter season. Of course, I realize that I just jinxed myself by acknowledging that publicly.

After posting my reply I did note that there was a tire pressure discussion in another thread in which there was a suggestion that the higher PSI might actually help avoid bubbling of tires. Thought I’d pass this along. Having said that, I have not experienced the issue with my 20” tires at 42 psi in the Northeast with notoriously poor roads, especially during the winter season. Of course, I realize that I just jinxed myself by acknowledging that publicly.
That discussion was more for the 21s because of their lower sidewalls. The 20s don't have that issue as much. I've got over 10k miles on my 20s (and over 15k on my old 21s) and haven't had an issue,knock on wood. But I don't live in a cold climate either,.or I'd definitely have an all season or snow wheel/tire set.

Back