Frunk bifold divider solution improvement #2

I can confirm if you use magnets that are too weak, it won’t hold. It’ll just fall down every time.

The items in the video are correct.

The items in the video are correct. Drill a tiny hole in the metal behind the carpet and use a long enough screw.
It’s plastic on my end not metal but okay - I wasn’t sure if you had drilled through the plastic or not. Thanks for the clarity!

Have any of you purchased the EZ Spare and are storing it in the bottom well of the frunk? That's where I have mine stored and while it's in the cover that came with it, I like this option for the cover. I'm just not sure I want to see the spare wheel every time I open the frunk if I decide to go this route.

Have any of you purchased the EZ Spare and are storing it in the bottom well of the frunk? That's where I have mine stored and while it's in the cover that came with it, I like this option for the cover. I'm just not sure I want to see the spare wheel every time I open the frunk if I decide to go this route.
You won't if you leave the cover down. This method allows you to move it up and out stuff under without having to hold it

I just tried this with the 70lb ones, but now I'm thinking @Bobby must have used the 30lb ones and linked incorrectly in the video, because mine pulls my carpet forward and out of the trim unless I hold it back with my hand.

@Bobby can you confirm which you ordered so I can return these and get the 30lb ones if those are the right ones? :)
I'm guessing the 30's but we can find out on Oct 7th 🙂

I suggest avoiding neodymium magnets as those are insanely strong.

You won't if you leave the cover down. This method allows you to move it up and out stuff under without having to hold it
But, to be fair, if you have the spare in the frunk you’re pretty much never going to be using the magnet.

But, to be fair, if you have the spare in the frunk you’re pretty much never going to be using the magnet.
This is what I thought.

I'm guessing the 30's but we can find out on Oct 7th 🙂

I suggest avoiding neodymium magnets as those are insanely strong.
I fixed it; it was the 70lb magnets. They worked great.

Not sure why, but the truss screws @Bobby used simply didn’t hold the magnet up for me, even after screwing it into the plastic backing behind the carpet; likely because the truss head wasn’t flush with the magnet. I switched to one of the screws the magnets came with, and no issues.

The truss screws worked great for the steel plate on the divider though!

What size and length screw did you use to mount the magnets? thanks
The ones the magnets came with worked fine. I tried to use other screws, but ended up reverting to the ones they came with.

The ones the magnets came with worked fine. I tried to use other screws, but ended up reverting to the ones they came with.
Same. Since I went with that screw, it’s been holding up nicely.

I really need someone in PA (close to Philly or Harrisburg) to install this for me -- @Cosmo Cruz
Yes! a good excuse to drive out to Harrisburg area (as if I needed a reason to drive the Lucid a few hundred miles) and visit some hang glider launch sites I haven't been to since the 80's. Here is the foot-launch clearing on the top of Mahantongo Mt. Joe built his house in the valley below launch. The launch is only ~900' above the valley but the ridge is fantastic - goes all the way West to the Sus. but ends a few mile E of launch, so we fly out over the fields, catch a thermal, go to cloudbase, then turn downwind and fly over the strip mines (very scary) until we clear the Blue Ridge, then it's all farms until the Delaware bay and the Atlantic ocean.
1703224088124.jpeg

1703220129558.jpeg

Joe just landed (in the field next to his house) after a couple hours soaring... met him in the '70s at the practice hill and he's still flying. He quit his job when a high pressure system parked over the Great Lakes and gave us steady winds from the NW (best direction for ridge soaring in PA) for two weeks straight. He was calling out of work , then took the week off, then Monday it was still soarable so he quit his job in Philly and moved.. under the mountain next to this field (he can walk home from here)... so he could fly any time the wind was right. All the local pilots worship his devotion to the sport. He keeps trying to get me back in ... I'd love to but the wife is retired...she wouldn't be happy. Besides, there are no bumpers on the Lucid to tie down the ends of the gliders, which are 20' long when folded. He's a master machinist, hasn't seen the Lucid yet, but I'm pretty sure he could come up with something that would support 4 gliders on the roof bars and support the ends. I don't see hang glider racks on the Lucid website yet.

Now you have me thinking it would be fun to take a long road trip around the PA mtns we used to fly...wow, that's a great excuse to exercise the car: some fantastic scenic roads without traffic ... lots of things to see, like Centralia (town built on top of coal mines that caught fire in '61 and are still burning = town was abandoned and smoke rising from cracks in the streets). I'll have to stop at America's oldest continuously operating brewery: Yuengling, in Pottstown (terrible bier but cool caves behind the brewery where they conditioned the lagers). Also, South of the Blue in the farmlands, hidden behind some low hills, the Michter distillery, a happy discovery when I was lost on a one lane road in the hills-- turned a blind corner and saw a huge building (in the middle of nowhere). It was still active in the 80s. I remember seeing enormous wooden vats, open, with the active wort bubbling away -- the corn mash fermenting. I think it's a museum now. I'm not a partaker of spirits but did buy a small bottle -- best whiskey I've ever tasted. Oh I'm off topic again...sorry. But if we ever have a rally in the PA mountains I know it very well. Very well. The smallest towns and every road that goes over a ridge. PA has more river systems than any state, including Alaska. Seen from cloudbase it is by far the most beautiful place to soar. A World record for sailplanes was set in PA (his wife towed him up with a jeep and he flew to Harpers Ferry AND BACK...around 1000 miles. He filed for the record but his turn photo documentation wasn't good... SO HE DID IT AGAIN A FEW WEEKS LATER!
If you have seen
the Thomas Crown Affair: yeah that's him flying the sailplane. Oh man I've really gone down memory lane...sorry.

Or next time you make a run to Philly give me a buzz. Perhaps we can meet up at one of the EA chargers along the pike, like Plymouth Meeting or King of Prussia. Have you seen the Lucid service center in KoP? I was there a few days ago. They put the LUCID sign back up and finished the interior walls for the offices, so now you can't see much inside, unless they are working. I've been inside several times. Very slow progress. They have not installed the chargers in the lot yet, but there is a bank of ten EA 350s on the other side of the mall.

Just watched Bobby's video. Gosh he's good. This really is easy. My solution was to take the funk divider out completely...don't miss it, and I put the groceries in the funk so it's cool. I'm leaving the trunk cover in place because I have a Weather Tech mat over it, but appreciate Bobby showing us how it folds and stows out of the way. By the way I bought the Lucid bucket liners for the lower areas of the funk/trunk. Nice (tight) fit. Recommended.

Wow I'm really thinking about the mountains now. Gotta call Joe and see which day he's flying--he generally goes up and down Mahantongo Mt. in the ridge lift then lands "at home", but if I'm there he can thermal up and go "over the back" and fly downwind and I can follow in his van and retrieve him when he lands. He's flown from "his mountain" all the way to Rehoboth DE. The day I tried it I only made it to the edge of the bay then lost the sun and the thermals. I was flying slowly and enjoying the view, so it took me 6 hours to fly 62 miles. Cloudbase around here is 5 to 7 thousand feet above MSL. We could go alot further if we could climb higher, but we are limited to 1000 feet below cloudbase (VFR). The way to tell you are at cloudbase is you're thermaling up then suddenly get whited out, then you descend 1000 feet. (don't tell the FAA we do that). Yes we use variometers and altimeters, and put a geometric box of foil inside the wing to better reflect radar so we don't get wacked by jets out of Harrisburg and Allentown. Now that I think about it -- I don't want to fly again. I quit at the right time. It's hard to be old = you forget you can't do the things you loved to do now that you have the time and money to really do it well. But I have a Lucid so ... no worries.

Last edited:
Yes! a good excuse to drive out to Harrisburg area (as if I needed a reason to drive the Lucid a few hundred miles) and visit some hang glider launch sites I haven't been to since the 80's. Here is the foot-launch clearing on the top of Mahantongo Mt. Joe built his house in the valley below launch. The launch is only ~900' above the valley but the ridge is fantastic - goes all the way West to the Sus. but ends a few mile E of launch, so we fly out over the fields, catch a thermal, go to cloudbase, then turn downwind and fly over the strip mines (very scary) until we clear the Blue Ridge, then it's all farms until the Delaware bay and the Atlantic ocean.
View attachment 17171
View attachment 17170
Joe just landed (in the field next to his house) after a couple hours soaring... met him in the '70s at the practice hill and he's still flying. He quit his job when a high pressure system parked over the Great Lakes and gave us steady winds from the NW (best direction for ridge soaring in PA) for two weeks straight. He was calling out of work , then took the week off, then Monday it was still soarable so he quit his job in Philly and moved.. under the mountain next to this field (he can walk home from here)... so he could fly any time the wind was right. All the local pilots worship his devotion to the sport. He keeps trying to get me back in ... I'd love to but the wife is retired...she wouldn't be happy. Besides, there are no bumpers on the Lucid to tie down the ends of the gliders, which are 20' long when folded. He's a master machinist, hasn't seen the Lucid yet, but I'm pretty sure he could come up with something that would support 4 gliders on the roof bars and support the ends. I don't see hang glider racks on the Lucid website yet.

Now you have me thinking it would be fun to take a long road trip around the PA mtns we used to fly...wow, that's a great excuse to exercise the car: some fantastic scenic roads without traffic ... lots of things to see, like Centralia (town built on top of coal mines that caught fire in '61 and are still burning = town was abandoned and smoke rising from cracks in the streets). I'll have to stop at America's oldest continuously operating brewery: Yuengling, in Pottstown (terrible bier but cool caves behind the brewery where they conditioned the lagers). Also, South of the Blue in the farmlands, hidden behind some low hills, the Michter distillery, a happy discovery when I was lost on a one lane road in the hills-- turned a blind corner and saw a huge building (in the middle of nowhere). It was still active in the 80s. I remember seeing enormous wooden vats, open, with the active wort bubbling away -- the corn mash fermenting. I think it's a museum now. I'm not a partaker of spirits but did buy a small bottle -- best whiskey I've ever tasted. Oh I'm off topic again...sorry. But if we ever have a rally in the PA mountains I know it very well. Very well. The smallest towns and every road that goes over a ridge. PA has more river systems than any state, including Alaska. Seen from cloudbase it is by far the most beautiful place to soar. A World record for sailplanes was set in PA (his wife towed him up with a jeep and he flew to Harpers Ferry AND BACK...around 1000 miles. He filed for the record but his turn photo documentation wasn't good... SO HE DID IT AGAIN A FEW WEEKS LATER!
If you have seen
the Thomas Crown Affair: yeah that's him flying the sailplane. Oh man I've really gone down memory lane...sorry.

Or next time you make a run to Philly give me a buzz. Perhaps we can meet up at one of the EA chargers along the pike, like Plymouth Meeting or King of Prussia. Have you seen the Lucid service center in KoP? I was there a few days ago. They put the LUCID sign back up and finished the interior walls for the offices, so now you can't see much inside, unless they are working. I've been inside several times. Very slow progress. They have not installed the chargers in the lot yet, but there is a bank of ten EA 350s on the other side of the mall.
Just watched Bobby's video. Gosh he's good. This really is easy. My solution was to take the funk divider out completely...don't miss it, and I put the groceries in the funk so it's cool. I'm leaving the trunk cover in place because I have a Weather Tech mat over it, but appreciate Bobby showing us how it folds and stows out of the way. By the way I bought the Lucid bucket liners for the lower areas of the funk/trunk. Nice (tight) fit. Recommended.

Wow I'm really thinking about the mountains now. Gotta call Joe and see which day he's flying--he generally goes up and down Mahantongo Mt. in the ridge lift then lands "at home", but if I'm there he can thermal up and go "over the back" and fly downwind and I can follow in his van and retrieve him when he lands. He's flown from "his mountain" all the way to Rehoboth DE. The day I tried it I only made it to the edge of the bay then lost the sun and the thermals. I was flying slowly and enjoying the view, so it took me 6 hours to fly 62 miles. Cloudbase around here is 5 to 7 thousand feet above MSL. We could go alot further if we could climb higher, but we are limited to 1000 feet below cloudbase (VFR). The way to tell you are at cloudbase is you're thermaling up then suddenly get whited out, then you descend 1000 feet. (don't tell the FAA we do that). Yes we use variometers and altimeters, and put a geometric box of foil inside the wing to better reflect radar so we don't get wacked by jets out of Harrisburg and Allentown. Now that I think about it -- I don't want to fly again. I quit at the right time. It's hard to be old = you forget you can't do the things you loved to do now that you have the time and money to really do it well. But I have a Lucid so ... no worries.
...are we still talking about magnets? 🤣

The items in the video are correct.

The items in the video are correct. Drill a tiny hole in the metal behind the carpet and use a long enough screw.
@Bobby just worried I would go too far, do you know the length of the screw you used? BTW it is plastic in mine, not metal

@Bobby just worried I would go too far, do you know the length of the screw you used? BTW it is plastic in mine, not metal
Yes, just screw the magnet right through the carpet and through the plastic until it basically starts the bottom out on the metal behind the plastic. Then you are done.

Back