Front 21" Tire Shortage

Did they say that because they thought the rim was damaged?
No. Rim was fine. Discount tire only lists the Pirelli as approved for the car. They will not mount a tire that is not in their fitment guide for the vehicle.

I'm running the Michelin 21s and on a recent road trip a day after hitting a pot hole the tire developed a leak right where the bead meets the side wall. I was able to pull off and get to a gas station. Tire was of course unrepairable. Near St Louis. Called Lucid and they sent a tow. Discount tire said they could get a Pirelli in 7-10 days. I told them I was running the Michelin. It was 5PM and they said they could have one in the morning. Car was towed to Discount tire. When I called in the morning, they had the tire, but would not mount it on the rim. Bought the tire, put it in the truck, arranged another tow and went to a local shop that had it mounted and balanced and me out the door in less than 30 minutes. 4 Pirelli side wall bubbles and 1 deflated Michelin in 27.5K miles on DE. No issues so far with the Sapphire Michelins at 4361 miles.
2 tires were from pot holes where it was enough of an event I checked the tire. The other 3 were from impacts that were not anything out of ordinary. No rim damage on any of these.
Why wouldn't Discount Tire mount them? They weren't the same size as OEM?

I'm running the Michelin 21s and on a recent road trip a day after hitting a pot hole the tire developed a leak right where the bead meets the side wall. I was able to pull off and get to a gas station. Tire was of course unrepairable. Near St Louis. Called Lucid and they sent a tow. Discount tire said they could get a Pirelli in 7-10 days. I told them I was running the Michelin. It was 5PM and they said they could have one in the morning. Car was towed to Discount tire. When I called in the morning, they had the tire, but would not mount it on the rim. Bought the tire, put it in the truck, arranged another tow and went to a local shop that had it mounted and balanced and me out the door in less than 30 minutes. 4 Pirelli side wall bubbles and 1 deflated Michelin in 27.5K miles on DE. No issues so far with the Sapphire Michelins at 4361 miles.
2 tires were from pot holes where it was enough of an event I checked the tire. The other 3 were from impacts that were not anything out of ordinary. No rim damage on any of these.
Why wouldn't Discount Tire mount them?
Yes on size, but not listed in their fitment guide for the car.
That's news to me. That implies Discount Tire will not do aftermarket wheel/tire setups where width or diameters are increased. Might be something unique with that specific location cuz I've gotten non-OEM size tires mounted by them in the past.

Why wouldn't Discount Tire mount them?

That's news to me. That implies Discount Tire will not do aftermarket wheel/tire setups where width or diameters are increased. Might be something unique with that specific location cuz I've gotten non-OEM size tires mounted by them in the past.
It’s not about size. The Michelin is XL load rated and the Pirelli is an HL.

It’s not about size. The Michelin is XL load rated and the Pirelli is an HL.
Can someone point me to an article or datasheet or white paper that is an apples to apples comparison of a given width, aspect ratio and rim diameter, with a fixed weight rated tire (i.e. "99"), in XL and HL designations? The weight rating number is clearly and universally defined. The statements regarding "HL" vs. "XL" I've found are ambiguous descriptions about handling higher loads that could be solved with a higher weight rating of the same tire size. Which then, why not call out a higher weight rating? It's a redundant spec as far as I can tell. Not trying to be argumentative, I genuinely want to know if there's something I'm missing. (New urgency to this because I've finally developed a bubble... 🙄😑)

Back