RESOLVED FOB Beeping

CLTGT

Verified Owner
Cars
73 Mustang Conv & the GT
OK, tried to search this, but no luck.

I took my key fob out of my little Faraday box yesterday and it started beeping. I guess it started when it was in range of the car (out of the box). I also assume it was giving me a warning to change the battery, which I did.

Is that assumption correct? I have never had the actual fob start beeping.

If so, that's cool. I have never heard the FOB beep ever

If so, that's cool. I have never heard the FOB beep ever
I hadn't either, so it kind of threw me. The crazy thing is that I was washing both cars and when I went to get the fob for the MB GLS450, that key needed a new battery as well.

I hadn't either, so it kind of threw me. The crazy thing is that I was washing both cars and when I went to get the fob for the MB GLS450, that key needed a new battery as well.
Did you replace them already? Could just experiment with your other fob is that battery is dying.

OK, you might be able to delete this thread. I think it might have actually been the Apple Airtag beeping since I almost never use the fob. I use the fob so little that I decided to put a tag on it just in case, but the beeping did stop coincidently as I was changing batteries. I am getting too old for all this tech stuff. Either way, at least I have new batteries in all my key fobs now, Lucid and MB.

OK, you might be able to delete this thread. I think it might have actually been the Apple Airtag beeping since I almost never use the fob. I use the fob so little that I decided to put a tag on it just in case, but the beeping did stop coincidently as I was changing batteries. I am getting too old for all this tech stuff. Either way, at least I have new batteries in all my key fobs now, Lucid and MB.
I'll leave it here for posterity's sake.

Gotta admit though, it would be nice to know if the batteries are low on the fob before stuff stops working... The MB was telling me in the car to replace the batteries. I am going to start using the Lucid fob again though as my phone is no longer quick to open the car. I have to open and unlock the phone before the car will unlock. It does not always just open as I walk up. It does sometimes, but it is almost as if it has two levels. If the car is a deep sleep (like I haven't woken it up in a while), I have to be proactive. If I have recently used the car/mobile key, the car will unlock much faster.

Per Apple, AirTag batteries have about 1 year life span. I’ve only had my AirTags for about 3 months.

Gotta admit though, it would be nice to know if the batteries are low on the fob before stuff stops working... The MB was telling me in the car to replace the batteries. I am going to start using the Lucid fob again though as my phone is no longer quick to open the car. I have to open and unlock the phone before the car will unlock. It does not always just open as I walk up. It does sometimes, but it is almost as if it has two levels. If the car is a deep sleep (like I haven't woken it up in a while), I have to be proactive. If I have recently used the car/mobile key, the car will unlock much faster.
Can I ask what kind of phone you have? I have a Samsung s23 and have some similar experiences with having to unlock the phone and occasionally open the app before it unlocks the car

Apple 14Pro

I changed fob battery 4 times, never ever heard of beep. Was confused, I don’t see speaker holes output. 😂

Per Apple, AirTag batteries have about 1 year life span. I’ve only had my AirTags for about 3 months.
I have a lot of AirTags, and I can confirm the batteries last about a year generally. The FindMy app can give you a pretty good indication of the battery, too. So you don't have to rely on the beeping.

The beeping can happen for other reasons, too. Like if you are searching for it from your app. Or if you haven't been in contact with it for quite a while. It'll beep a few times to help you find it.

There are two levels of sleep.

Also, the car used to tell you the fob battery was low, but it was often wrong and annoyed owners so they turned it off (for now, maybe)

Glad that was resolved, it probably saved service a ton of calls, “My FOB doesn't beep, can it be fixed?”. ;)

Back