Fob battery dead after only 4 months

BTW the fob will let you into the car if used in the same way as the NFC card.
These cheap pouches fit the fob fairly closely, and can even fit in a pocket if need be. Don't know if this would actually extend the fob's battery life - no reason it should IMO:

The service center rep told me today that if you keep both fobs in your house in very close proximity to each other, they communicate with each other. Thus draining the batteries. I keep them both in the same drawer at home.

They suggests putting them in different rooms so they aren’t so close to each other.
I never heard such a thing, but I’ll try it.

The service center rep told me today that if you keep both fobs in your house in very close proximity to each other, they communicate with each other. Thus draining the batteries. I keep them both in the same drawer at home.

They suggests putting them in different rooms so they aren’t so close to each other.
I never heard such a thing, but I’ll try it.
Ah. Separate Faraday pouches will do the same thing.

two key fobs communicating with each other and draining the batteries just sounds like a really clunky design because storing keys apart is not intuitive to know and really inconvenient. I stored my two fobs in a drawer about 20 feet from the car and my fob battery was fine but the spare fob that was never used had a dead battery two months later which is strange and sounds like it could have been a bad battery. Good thing 2032 batteries are cheap

two key fobs communicating with each other and draining the batteries just sounds like a really clunky design because storing keys apart is not intuitive to know and really inconvenient. I stored my two fobs in a drawer about 20 feet from the car and my fob battery was fine but the spare fob that was never used had a dead battery two months later which is strange and sounds like it could have been a bad battery. Good thing 2032 batteries are cheap
I have definitively solved this issue in three quick steps (for easy reference, I have named this sequence ‘fob schmob’).

Step 1: remove the batteries from both key fobs and put them away. You can use the nice little box that Lucid gave you. You’ll next to get them out when you’re ready to sell your car.

Step 2: make sure your mobile key is properly set up in your phone.

Step 3: put your key card in your wallet just in case you ever need it if your phone is lost or dead.

Enjoy!

True, but up until recently, key fobs were not capable of being updated via OTA so new tech, new problems.

My two fobs are in 2 separate Faraday boxes (my other car's fobs are the standard, bulky size, so need to use the box instead of the pouch). Changed batteries less than 2 months ago. Only 1 fob has been used regularly.
After the car finished the update Saturday am, I noticed the mirrors were not folded in.
Took the fobs to lock the car and both fobs were not operational.
Changed the batteries and they're fine now.
Don't know if the updating process communicated with the fobs and ran out the batteries. Theoretically, this shouldn't have been possible because they're both in the Faraday boxes.
For the same reason, the fobs shouldn't be communicating with each other.
Or maybe my batteries were ok but the fob just needed a reset which occurred as a result of replacing the batteries.

I just had my fob die yesterday for the second time, and I took delivery of my GT on 11/17/2023. So, not a good records. When the first battery died, I just assumed a dud battery, replaced it and did not report it. With yesterday's I called and was told it is a "known" problem and they are working on it. In other words, they know they have a problem, but they don't have a known solution other than telling people to: a.) don't buy batteries that have a "bitter" coating (placed there to keep kids from swallowing them. b.) don't buy Duracell, as people seem to have worse luck with them. c.) wipe the battery with alcohol before installing and minimize touching while doing the install. d.) recommending Panasonic or Hitachi batteries. If it was more than an annoyance because I can use my phone I would be more upset. It is a car with a six figure price tag, and we should expect better.

Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 7.46.38 AM.png

I was told to avoid the bitter coating batteries. Note that Duracell marks their batteries with bitter coating to avoid toddler ingestion.

I can kinda see how storing the fob near the car can possibly drain the fob battery assuming there is some kind of handshake going on between the two?

@ Bobby: If my wife uses her mobile key, is there any way for her to park it in her garage? The attendants park the car and bring it up for her. We've no good ideas on this except leaving them a card and giving them our pin -- we don't want to do that if at all possible.

@ Bobby: If my wife uses her mobile key, is there any way for her to park it in her garage? The attendants park the car and bring it up for her. We've no good ideas on this except leaving them a card and giving them our pin -- we don't want to do that if at all possible.
If you're using a valet or attendant to bring you the car, the easiest thing to do is to give them the fob. They're not used to using anything else and it'll just cause confusion to give them the key card.

18 months later fob batteries just fine. You people are doing it wrong.

If you are around the car all day, such as at a car show, the fob will be dead by the end of the day.

For what it’s worth, I would give them the fob. *But* it’s worth noting that with the card you don’t need a PIN; you can tap it in the roof on that microphone array above your head that looks like a triangle symbol thing between the rear and front seats - that will also work.

I replace my fob battery every 6 months whether it needs it or not. That cadence works for me. My second key I keep in a faraday pouch so it lasts but I’ve decided to replace that one annually.

Back