First 3 Days …

Ford has gotten worried enough about EA problems plaguing Ford EV buyers -- and thus impeding the adoption of electric vehicles -- that it has set up an in-house team to track EA issues and keep the heat on EA to address them.

Last edited:
Ford has gotten worried enough about EA problems plaguing Ford EV buyers -- and thus impeding the adoption of electric vehicles -- that it has set up an in-house team to track EA issues and keep the heat on EA to address them.

How sad is that! Along with Rivian I also heard that Ford is going to build out it's own EV charging network which I think is ridiculous. I get why Tesla did it, at the time they had no choice but to become an infrastructure company because the one that built it did a bad job is not the right approach in my opinion.

EA has also decided to drop 350Kw chargers and standardize on 250Kw chargers BUT will power split so if another driver shows up and plugs in you will only get 125Kw. Kind of defeats the purpose of all the 250/300Kw charging capable cars because no one wants to roll out the infrastructure due to the cost.

How sad is that! Along with Rivian I also heard that Ford is going to build out it's own EV charging network which I think is ridiculous. I get why Tesla did it, at the time they had no choice but to become an infrastructure company because the one that built it did a bad job is not the right approach in my opinion.

EA has also decided to drop 350Kw chargers and standardize on 250Kw chargers BUT will power split so if another driver shows up and plugs in you will only get 125Kw. Kind of defeats the purpose of all the 250/300Kw charging capable cars because no one wants to roll out the infrastructure due to the cost.

Now that's a big mistake! I guess for me its Ok since road trips after the one this summer would rarely occur. Baffling to make such a decision, lets hope they can provide 350kW but are "software" limited to 250kW.

Wait when did they decide to do this?

Tesla is like Apple, the hardware and software are so integrated that it's easy for them to control how it works which is why alot of people like them. EA is an absolute mess and part of it is because there are 20 or so protocols that automakers can use for CCS so EA needs to make sure the machines can accommodate. It's just old school mentality of legacy automakers doing their own thing and expecting one system to accommodate.

I have not had a single road trip where I haven't had to call EA. From the chargers simply not working to them not delivering the correct speed. Yesterday I was stuck in Bakersfield on the phone to them for 30 mins because a charger wouldn't go beyond 35Kw. This was after I moved the car due to another charger not working and a Rivian using the other. The go to response for EA is "it's the car not requesting enough power not a charger issue" I told her to just restart the charger and it did nothing to improve the situation (90% of the time is resolves charger issues). Luckily, the Rivian left and I moved the car and got 147Kw charging speed instantly. I told the EA rep to stop blaming the car when it's clearly an issue with the charging network.

I won't be surprised is a thread opens up on here about EA shortly. The plug and charge is the least of our worries if the charger can't deliver the speeds then we'll all be sitting at them for hours with such a large battery in the car. No point complaining to Lucid as they don't own the infrastructure and no point complaining to EA as they will blame Lucid so I do envy the Tesla approach as it just works.
I’m confused, on one hand you’re blaming legacy car makers that are using one of 20 available protocols for CCS, but then you’re blaming EA when the charger doesn’t work with your new Lucid. Isn’t it more a function of too many possible CCS protocols?

It would be interesting to see how another EV, besides a newly released one like the Lucid, behaves at the same charger. Over the last 6 months, I’ve had no issues at EA chargers with my e-Tron, a legacy automaker.

I’m confused, on one hand you’re blaming legacy car makers that are using one of 20 available protocols for CCS, but then you’re blaming EA when the charger doesn’t work with your new Lucid. Isn’t it more a function of too many possible CCS protocols?

It would be interesting to see how another EV, besides a newly released one like the Lucid, behaves at the same charger. Over the last 6 months, I’ve had no issues at EA chargers with my e-Tron, a legacy automaker.
Ive probably used about 10 different EA chargers and haven't had an issue with any of them.

I live in Charlotte and the EA Network might as well be nonexistent for me. There is one location about 30 minutes away in a part of town I am never in. There are ZERO between my house in Charlotte and my lake house in the Foothills, almost 2 hours away. The closest one to that is Asheville, almost 45 minutes further west. Taking a trip with this car is going to take a bit of careful planning, but we will probably just take my wife's SUV.

I live in Charlotte and the EA Network might as well be nonexistent for me. There is one location about 30 minutes away in a part of town I am never in. There are ZERO between my house in Charlotte and my lake house in the Foothills, almost 2 hours away. The closest one to that is Asheville, almost 45 minutes further west. Taking a trip with this car is going to take a bit of careful planning, but we will probably just take my wife's SUV.

Interesting. One of the trips we're planning to take in the Air is to visit friends in Gastonia (just west of Charlotte), then drive to Asheville, and from there visit friends in Blowing Rock. The only EA station in Charlotte is 25 miles away from our friend's house and in the opposite direction from the route we'd like to take from Gastonia to Asheville, meaning charging for that leg will be very inconvenient. We can recharge in Asheville and, fortunately, our friends in Blowing Rock have a Level 2 home charger for their Mustang Mach-E. If it weren't for that, getting into and back out of Blowing Rock would be pretty dicey, as all the public chargers in Blowing Rock seem to be Level 2 only.

Last edited:
EVGO and chargepoint are starting to put some DC fast chargers in locations as well.

The good thing is that there are plenty of Level 2 chargers and a many are no-fee courtesy of Duke Energy. We actually have two no-fee chargers in the State Park almost across the street from our neighborhood at Lake James. I was just skimming the pluginnc site and it shows all the details, location, cost, speed, etc. There are quite a few Tesla chargers, too bad we can't access those for a fee...

The Lake James location is on your way from Gastonia to Asheville if you don't mind taking a hike while you charge... It is probably very slow. though. The trip from Gastonia to Asheville will only take 2 hours, so you should not have to charge as long as you start full.

Last edited:

Did you place your order before 12/31?

If some of those Tesla chargers are destination you can use them with an adapter but that won't help during the drive.

I put my deposit down January 2021 and confirmed mid-November. I am having NEMA 14-50 outlets installed in both my Charlotte house and my lake house, so I am not too worried about NC, unless I go to the coast.

Back