Fear of luxury car being crime target?

You have to park in a sketch area...

• We have a cheaper car I'd take with me.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I'd rather not go and go elsewhere safer instead.

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • I'm not worried. Insurance/I can cover cost for whatever happens.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • A little worried but try not to think too much about it.

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Very worried and may check the car frequently.

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
I think inadvertent damage is more likely. On my current DD some idiot hit my passenger doors and dented both. Had to replace the door skins.

I try to park far away from everyone at the back of parking lots so I have a long walk to the store, etc. Nonetheless, sometimes some idiot will come and park next to me even though there are tons of spaces nearby and closer to the store.

What if this is your lower end car to drive in iffy places?

Attachments

• 1304F1F4-1B14-47BA-957A-40E15C62F492.jpeg
    1304F1F4-1B14-47BA-957A-40E15C62F492.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 131
Two main issues here. People messing with your car and people messing with you. Messing with your car has three parts. Vandalism, car parting and joyriding. Messing with you falls into street robbery and follow home robbery. So of these, for Lucid today, vandalism and follow home robbery might be the most worry for me. As always, use common sense. My additional insurance is my Concealed Weapon Permit. It is Arizona! ;)

Then consider yourself fortunate and don't sweat the small stuff!

This happened in Canada - https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/taycan-carjacked-at-canadian-charging-station.9247/

Generally I think we're a little more vulnerable when charging as there's no way to get going without getting out of the car and unplugging the charger.

I had a random get in my Taycan when I was charging at a Canadian Tyre. Luckily it was only a mistaken identity rather than a jacking, his drug dealer was in a white Taycan Turbo and mine is black!
I always bust my buddy Pierre's chops who lives in Windsor about it being a south suburb of Detroit, can't wait to send him that link 😂

Just curious about people's experience particularly when parking in sketch areas either to go eat for several hours or to visit a friend overnight (street parking). Sketch areas as in there are homeless people nearby or street has history of car parts getting stolen. If I get an Air it will be my first luxury car by a huuuge margin.

First and current car is a $20k Mazda 3 since 2013. I have no worries parking it anywhere legal as 95% of the time there are more expensive cars parked nearby and also if something happens it won't be such a big loss or cost to repair. With an Air though it'll likely be THE expensive car 95% of the time.

I was reading some comments online that if I'm worried about such stuff that perhaps I shouldn't be getting a car with such price tags. I've looked at all other EVs but not interested in any of them due to range. Prices are going up not just for the Lucid so it's quite all or nothing for me at this point.

Thoughts? How do you approach the situations above? How much do you worry?

I'm saying this tongue and cheek, this is an advantage to being able to parallel park. No door dings. I've seen people pass spaces I get my Toyota Tundra in.

This is why I asked about Sentry mode for Lucid. Sentry records when it detects people close to the car and if they do something you have it on video.

My cars are attention getters and this is why I have another car that I drive in areas I would not take the nicer ones. I have had people spit tobacco chew on my cars, ding the doors, they always park next me when I park no where near anyone, someone just hit my car while parked and caused $1k damage. I have PDR, but not when off. People can be a-holes and they are a-holes when they drive more! Drive slow in the fast lane and act like it's their world on the road and you have to deal with whatever they are doing. I can't stand the entitlement of people when they drive. Be courteous!

This happens when you buy nice things and cars that stick out. I think the Air is awesome and sexy, but it's not an exotic. I wouldn't worry as I do now. Just give it sentry mode, all cars need it.

This is way overdue. For any car with this many cameras should be standard issue. I just think people today have no idea of the "Rules of the Road." I can't remember the last time I had to re-take the driver's test.

Two main issues here. People messing with your car and people messing with you. Messing with your car has three parts. Vandalism, car parting and joyriding. Messing with you falls into street robbery and follow home robbery. So of these, for Lucid today, vandalism and follow home robbery might be the most worry for me. As always, use common sense. My additional insurance is my Concealed Weapon Permit. It is Arizona! ;)

I have concealed carry but no weapon, only long guns. Indiana is concealed and open carry. May consider but so many compact pistols have too much recoil. Maybe too much focus on .45 or 9mm.

I learned years ago not to put your actual home address into the GPS memory. Put in a gas station or well lit area near your home.

Best to mix in with the other cars if you dont want attention though it does make sense to park away from everyone else to avoid dent. I checked my current car and most damage is from door dents.

Was talking to mom who lives in another country and she recently mentioned how people would key her car and on a few occasions even deflate some tires likely just out of jealousy as she is in a legal parking spot. Idk what goes on in their heads but I'm not surprised at all. I've also seen videos of people damaging Teslas here. Luckily there's cameras and police here actually did something. Really hoping Lucid would have some kind of Sentry Mode.

There are very good eating places/unique cuisines somehow located in very sketch neighborhoods. Uber could be an option but would be quite a hassle.
Yeah all the Yuppy places here in Dallas are in the worst of places. People are so jealous in Suburbs that they even key normal cars like my old Q45. Keyes the whole car, basically walked around it with a key. The Kids here are really not taught manners any more and you know the atmosphere we live in these days. Now you guys have me paranoid. My wife will flip because this will be our first most expensive car and I have told her this will be our everyday car and we would save money on Gas etc. we do still have our LS430 that we would drive and then use this to go places where we can Valet Park which could be a whole different issue as well perhaps due to how the Car drives.

Well then you have too much money to worry about these things 🤪.
People just seem to be having a bad time these days for some reason.
Just have notes that skins or ceramics do not prevent door dings.
The pickups and SUVS are humongous here in Texas and those are the worst people who do not care about dinging anyones door.

For the people who think concealed carry is a solution. It could get you in a lot more trouble because the bad guys would definitely have a weapon and if you point one then they may be forced to use it.

Maybe adding those Dash Cams in the Car would be of some help.

The pickups and SUVS are humongous here in Texas and those are the worst people who do not care about dinging anyones door.

For the people who think concealed carry is a solution. It could get you in a lot more trouble because the bad guys would definitely have a weapon and if you point one then they may be forced to use it.

I hope the concealed carry folks were at least half kidding. I don’t want to see anyone lose their life over a car. And yeah, the other guy is likely to have an assault rifle these days. So keep that in mind when you want to play tough guy.

All the hardware is present for an excellent Senty Mode type implementation. I’m confident it’s on Lucid’s list of todos. But might take a while, given their bug list.

It does cause some battery drain, though. I ended up having to turn Sentry off last time I left my Tesla at an airport for over a week, for fear I’d lose too much charge to get home. I was losing 20-30 miles a day with it on. Maybe a lot of people were walking by and triggering the recording?

But for short evenings out, it does give a bit of peace of mind.

I've driven expensive cars for many years in places such as Chicago, Los Angeles, and Naples, FL. Some of these were "flashy" cars that had just hit the market, such as a Mercedes SL55 AMG, Audi R8's, and a Mercedes SLR McLaren . Fortunately, none were ever vandalized.

What I did experience for the first couple of years with our Tesla Model S in Florida was "coal rolling". It was actually more an occasion for fun than annoyance with me, as the P90D enabled me to blow around those moronic pickup drivers almost before the black smoke had cleared their tailpipes. However, as Teslas became more ubiquitous, the coal rolling ceased.

I think a lot of the hostility to EVs has died away. As for the Lucid, people on this forum know how expensive it is, but most observers don't. It's an attractive car that people sometimes ask me about in parking lots and even at stop lights. But it seems to be more because they are unfamiliar with it, not because it oozes a sense of aggravating levels of wealth.

As a matter of fact, one of the things I like about the Lucid design is that it is handsome without being ostentatious.

I've driven expensive cars for many years in places such as Chicago, Los Angeles, and Naples, FL. Some of these were "flashy" cars that had just hit the market, such as a Mercedes SL55 AMG, Audi R8's, and a Mercedes SLR McLaren . Fortunately, none were ever vandalized.

What I did experience for the first couple of years with our Tesla Model S in Florida was "coal rolling". It was actually more an occasion for fun than annoyance with me, as the P90D enabled me to blow around those moronic pickup drivers almost before the black smoke had cleared their tailpipes. However, as Teslas became more ubiquitous, the coal rolling ceased.

I think a lot of the hostility to EVs has died away. As for the Lucid, people on this forum know how expensive it is, but most observers don't. It's an attractive car that people sometimes ask me about in parking lots and even at stop lights. But it seems to be more because they are unfamiliar with it, not because it oozes a sense of aggravating levels of wealth.

As a matter of fact, one of the things I like about the Lucid design is that it is handsome without being ostentatious.
Thank you for that. And happy to hear about your experience with the Pickups. Last year some guy tried to push me off the road in broad daylight and traffic on a weekend because he wanted to get in my lane no matter what. I was driving normally and not even trying to prevent him from changing the lane AND I was in my old LS430.
People are just too aggressive these days for some reason I cannot explain.

Maybe it gets to a point that it's so flashy and nice looking that they dont want to damage it and want to appreciate it's look instead. Keying it would greatly devalue it's "wow, nice car" factor whereas an equally pricey but "ugly" looking car would more likely be keyed since it doesnt have as much visual value to someone jealous? Just my guess

So far, folks have been interested in the sleek design. Admittedly, I do have some fun every now and again. While stopped for lunch yesterday, I parked where I could see the car. A group of folks that were together were looking at the car from every angle. One person, got close to peer through the window. At about that moment, I honked the horn.

After they came in the restaurant I overheard them chatting. They were trying to determine if the car was so smart, that if you got too close, the car honked as a warning.

I guess this is one thing about CCW. There is no pull the weapon and threaten with it. Its pull it only to fire. If one feels that threatened as mentioned before please go somewhere else.

One of our concerns as well. Even if we could afford them, we never drove expensive cars and Lucid would be our first expensive car. How do you guys park at work where you would be away from the car for up to 8 hours especially if your work is in a strip mall? Keying and dings would hurt.

My current parking options are pay $350/mo for parking in my building or park on the public streets of downtown Chicago. I would be fine doing the street parking if Lucid came out with a sentry mode. However, the street I would park on has several luxury cars on it (Audi, Mercedes, Corvette, Ferrari, etc) so I am less concerned. Still have plenty of time to decide.

If you mention the brand, there is hardly anyone (including insurance agents) who will recognize what a Lucid is. Surely, it won’t be confused with a big three-pointed star or a big blue & white roundel (“normal“ targets for vandals since time immemorial) so that should help as well. On the other hand, who would even want to key a model Y (ugly) or a model X (“pointless” as per one review)? If that’s what “lower risk” means, I’ll take the Air.

Reactions: DJL
Back