EZ Pass Placement

unTesla

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid GT, Rivian R1S
Where is the best place to put an EZ Pass? Are there any parts of the windshield to avoid?

Apparently it didn't work properly. I've now moved it to just under the rear view mirror housing. Hopefully it will work properly there.
I am in Texas and also placed my TollTag behind the driver’s visor. A TollTag is a flat sticker with a tiny transponder imbedded in it.

In addition to paying tolls, this sticker is used to trigger the garage at my building and at various other gated areas. It opens the garage at my building, but does not register tolls nor register at DFW Airport for automatic payment of parking which is a pain. Anyone in Texas have any suggestions? The problem is removing the sticker usually destroys it, and I mistakenly assumed if the visor position worked for opening my garage it would also work for tolls.

Partly answering my own question, my TollTag sometimes registers tolls. So I guess it’s back to the drawing board for a better placement.

Apparently it didn't work properly. I've now moved it to just under the rear view mirror housing. Hopefully it will work properly there.
Hey, I placed mine behind the driver visor(where tinting is) and the sunpass worked like a charm😊 it read when I took 589 till and the salmon express way. Try again, I believe it would work. I used sticker shield and sticker the sunpass to that. In that way it's easier for me to move around the transponder, if it didn't work.

I am in Texas and also placed my TollTag behind the driver’s visor. A TollTag is a flat sticker with a tiny transponder imbedded in it.

In addition to paying tolls, this sticker is used to trigger the garage at my building and at various other gated areas. It opens the garage at my building, but does not register tolls nor register at DFW Airport for automatic payment of parking which is a pain. Anyone in Texas have any suggestions? The problem is removing the sticker usually destroys it, and I mistakenly assumed if the visor position worked for opening my garage it would also work for tolls.

You can order a replacement tag if you like and put it elsewhere. I think they are free.

You could try using this, to avoid destroying the transponder sticker: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01466E0GS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I was able to peel it off from windshield and place it in different places after using this above one and it works well.

Can you be more specific? Is your TollTag on the windshield or the visor?
On windshield. I have attached a photo.

As an update, I was at the airport today and I was able to get the arm to raise upon entry. Upon leaving the airport, the gate would not open. I backed up a bit and then pulled forward to return to the designated spot under the ”reader”. Nothing. I lowered my window and pressed the help button and presto, the arm lifted. I seems to work but not as reliably as I am used to in other cars. I blame my placement of the tag.

F057452A-617E-4BB0-A332-6F747D248D9C.jpeg

You can order a replacement tag if you like and put it elsewhere. I think they are free.
I purchase tags which match the color of my vehicle, so they are less noticeable. I was being cheap and didn’t want to keep spending $25 for replacements. I *really* like how this one doesn’t show at all behind the tint.

You could try using this, to avoid destroying the transponder sticker: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01466E0GS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I was able to peel it off from windshield and place it in different places after using this above one and it works well.
Awesome find. Thank you for sharing.

I purchase tags which match the color of my vehicle, so they are less noticeable. I was being cheap and didn’t want to keep spending $25 for replacements. I *really* like how this one doesn’t show at all behind the tint.
I didn't even know this was as thing! Now I want one too! I hate the blue. I don't blame you on not wanting to pay over and over.

Update on my blackened EZPass transponder rig (from the photos above). It seems to be working well. I don't notice the transponder at all any more, it basically blends in to the surrounding colors. I've been through several toll booths that actually indicate successful transponder ping, so I know it's working correctly. I definitely recommend this option for others.
@martinmeyer how is your EZPass working 3 months later? Any issues with it sticking to your dash where you placed it? Any problems with it being read through tolls?

@martinmeyer how is your EZPass working 3 months later? Any issues with it sticking to your dash where you placed it? Any problems with it being read through tolls?
I did @martinmeyer style EZ Pass with complete black silicone cover and it’s been great. One time it failed to recognize the toll and I got a bill in the mail for $3 but every other time it’s been flawless. Totally recommended, it’s nearly invisible.

I second this approach for having "removable" windshield stickers. I had my detailer put my TX TollTag behind the rear view mirror and they used this type of product. They even gave me a few extra pieces for the future! BTW, my TollTag works fine for all the toll roads in TX along with most major airports including DFW.

I hate that you have to have those disgusting decals stuck to your car. We're in an age where cameras can read license plates so things could be made much easier by tying the license place to an EV with no need to show a special sticker. I've found that the time you want to use the carpool lane it's just as backed up as the other lanes so saw no advantage to getting the decals either. Although, I suspect that's going to change in the Bay Area now the carpool lanes are becoming paid express lanes and people may not be as willing to jump in them knowing they come with a price. In SoCal though, the carpool lanes are still free so when the freeway is backed up the carpool lane is just as backed up.

Look for "3M Clear Paint Protection Vinyl Film." It's basically clear material, similar to what is used to wrap cars. Put the HOV lane decals on the film, trace along the edges with an razor blade, peel off the paper backing and apply the decals. It won't make them less ugly, and will make them a barely perceptible bit thicker, but when they expire, you will be able to remove them without damaging anything. Peeling them off will still destroy the decals though.

In the Bay Area, they are becoming more questionably useful. It's not just that the lanes are becoming paid, but they now have specific exits and entrances like So Cal, and they don't line up with where I used to get in and out of carpool lanes. So I can't legally use them for commuting but they will still save money on tolls.

As for leaving them off the car completely, the way the law is written, it authorized the CHP to determine what locations the decals should be placed in. But nobody codified it. In other words, the law itself has no provision requiring decals to be in any specific position. Also, the law explicitly disallows multiple stickers with the same number, so I'd argue that if you have one sticker and ever got a ticket, you could quote the CVC itself and dispute it by mail, on the grounds that multiple stickers would be illegal as the law is written. You can double check to see if the CVC was revised, but I doubt it.

Also trying to figure out what to do with my EZPass Flex. That's for express lanes that are also HOV lanes. If you have enough passengers, you can hit the switch so you don't get charged for express lanes.

Which means I have to have access to that switch so as much as I love this hidden solution, it's not an option for me. Think I'm stuck with a standard windshield mount unless anyone else comes up with a good idea.
Has anyone got a good solution for this yet. These are the definition of ugly and I don't seem to see an easy cover to hide them either. I was thinknning of puttin it on the passenger side of the the rear mirror so I can't see it but it would still look fugly for anyone on that side

I put my SunPass on the window just below the rear view mirror. It has worked well there and is unobtrusive.

I have my EZ Pass in a black cloth cover mounted underneath the cockpit panel. It works perfectly there and it's completely out of sight.

At first I tried it behind the passenger sun visor until I decided that I didn't like the sun visors in my way. So I moved the transponder next to the part that runs down the middle of the roof, coming from the mirror area. That keeps it out of view but easy to get at the switch. The only thing in my view are the round things that the sun visors clip onto, except when I actually need to use the sun visor.

Back