EZ Pass Placement

unTesla

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid GT, Rivian R1S
Where is the best place to put an EZ Pass? Are there any parts of the windshield to avoid?

I ended up mounting mine under the lip of the cockpit. It was a little ugly from the outside though:

IMG_2234.jpeg

So I bought this on Amazon:
IMG_2235.jpeg

Now it looks like this:
IMG_2236.jpeg

The package included black adhesive stickers to replace the stock clear ones, but several of the reviews said they were poor quality and tended to fall off quickly. I figured I'd wait and to to Lowes to get better black 3M ones. Even this isn't so bad now. I recommend this to others.

I ended up mounting mine under the lip of the cockpit. It was a little ugly from the outside though:

View attachment 5729

View attachment 5730

Now it looks like this:
View attachment 5731

The package included black adhesive stickers to replace the stock clear ones, but several of the reviews said they were poor quality and tended to fall off quickly. I figured I'd wait and to to Lowes to get better black 3M ones. Even this isn't so bad now. I recommend this to others.
That looks great. I'm a little worried about how hot the back of the screen gets and wether it will effect the adhesive

It does look good. No issues with connectivity, meaning it's being recognized, and properly charged when going through the tolls?
I only just installed it now, but will know by Monday since I’m going through tolls tomorrow. The Amazon listing claims no impact, and I was able to use it from that location before installing the silicon cover. I’m hoping it will work fine.

View attachment 5729

View attachment 5730

Now it looks like this:
View attachment 5731

Love this, thanks

I still find - in california sun - the sticky velco doesn't stay stuck for long. but this is way better (and with tint on the windshield this is just better)

Love this, thanks

I still find - in california sun - the sticky velco doesn't stay stuck for long. but this is way better (and with tint on the windshield this is just better)
Has anyone seen anything like this for the thinner fastrak?

Has anyone seen anything like this for the thinner fastrak?
Well I decided to put it on the windshield behind the driver's visor. So from inside the car it is not visible unless you put the visor down. Anyway, I have gone through a number of tolls since I put it there but since it doesn't beep I don't know for sure it is being read. I looked on my account the next day but no charges have shown up yet. I called FasTrak and they told me it can take a week or sometimes longer for the charges to show up. So far still nothing.

Update on my blackened EZPass transponder rig (from the photos above). It seems to be working well. I don't notice the transponder at all any more, it basically blends in to the surrounding colors. I've been through several toll booths that actually indicate successful transponder ping, so I know it's working correctly. I definitely recommend this option for others.

Update on my blackened EZPass transponder rig (from the photos above). It seems to be working well. I don't notice the transponder at all any more, it basically blends in to the surrounding colors. I've been through several toll booths that actually indicate successful transponder ping, so I know it's working correctly. I definitely recommend this option for others.
But that was for a proper ezpass, not fastrak right?

Correct. I don't even know what a fastrack is. Is it a west coast equivalent device? I imagine the same vendor that made the silicon.. condom? probably makes them for other models as well. I noticed one in their store for the older generation of ezpass transponder that was too big for the tiny designated spot on my Tesla windshield.

Also trying to figure out what to do with my EZPass Flex. That's for express lanes that are also HOV lanes. If you have enough passengers, you can hit the switch so you don't get charged for express lanes.

Which means I have to have access to that switch so as much as I love this hidden solution, it's not an option for me. Think I'm stuck with a standard windshield mount unless anyone else comes up with a good idea.

Thanks, @martinmeyer! I just received the items and mounted it. It's black on black, so I can't even get a decent picture. And it looks like it's part of the back of the unit. My OCD is satisfied.

Well I decided to put it on the windshield behind the driver's visor. So from inside the car it is not visible unless you put the visor down. Anyway, I have gone through a number of tolls since I put it there but since it doesn't beep I don't know for sure it is being read. I looked on my account the next day but no charges have shown up yet. I called FasTrak and they told me it can take a week or sometimes longer for the charges to show up. So far still nothing.
Hey wanted to check if your transponder was working when placed under the visor. I am also planning to place it there if it works😊

Hey wanted to check if your transponder was working when placed under the visor. I am also planning to place it there if it works😊
Apparently it didn't work properly. I've now moved it to just under the rear view mirror housing. Hopefully it will work properly there.

I placed my transponder on the passenger side against the roof spine, but it did not get triggered. It is within the area where the glass tint begins. Will have to move below the mirror to retest. Too bad, as it is in my desired position and is not visible from the drivers seat.

Nope. I wish it did too, I liked the old ones. You just have to “trust” that it did what it was supposed to.
It probably shows on the display at the bridge crossing that it was recognized

Back