EZ Pass Placement

unTesla

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid GT, Rivian R1S
Where is the best place to put an EZ Pass? Are there any parts of the windshield to avoid?

Where is the best place to put an EZ Pass? Are there any parts of the windshield to avoid?
With newer deliveries, no. It will work everywhere.

I put mine on the back of the main driver's display. That way it is not visible from inside the car, but clearly visible from readers outside.
On the actual display, or on the dashboard behind the display?

I bought some black Velcro adhesive, and was planning on putting it behind the display. I can take it on and off and the black Velcro will be less noticeable.

I have the new FasTrak CAV transponder but haven't installed it yet. Supposedly it will provide a 50% reduction in tolls here in California but I've heard it doesn't beep like the older model and thus I won't know if it really was picked up by the external reader. Anybody know how you can tell if it actually registers a connection?

I have the new FasTrak CAV transponder but haven't installed it yet. Supposedly it will provide a 50% reduction in tolls here in California but I've heard it doesn't beep like the older model and thus I won't know if it really was picked up by the external reader. Anybody know how you can tell if it actually registers a connection?
Your FastTrack account will show all the times it triggered.

I put mine on the back of the main driver's display. That way it is not visible from inside the car, but clearly visible from readers outside.
You mean behind the retractable pilot panel? Wouldn't it get knocked off when the screen retracts? I must be misunderstanding this.

I currently have an eternally mounted transmitter that screwed in to the license plate. I needed this for my Model S because the windshield had a tiny little safe spot for transponders and the MA transponders at the time were larger than the designated area. I'm planning to replace that transponder with an inside-mounted on as soon as it arrives in the mail, so I too would like to know the ideal spot to place it in my AGT.

The new cars can have them placed anywhere. Only older models had a section in the lower right that required it be placed there.

You mean behind the retractable pilot panel? Wouldn't it get knocked off when the screen retracts? I must be misunderstanding this.

I currently have an eternally mounted transmitter that screwed in to the license plate. I needed this for my Model S because the windshield had a tiny little safe spot for transponders and the MA transponders at the time were larger than the designated area. I'm planning to replace that transponder with an inside-mounted on as soon as it arrives in the mail, so I too would like to know the ideal spot to place it in my AGT.
He means behind the cockpit display, not the retractable pilot panel. I just have mine right under the cameras on the windshield. You can place it anywhere.

I have a FastTrak account but didn't bother installing the transponder. They just read my license plate and bill my account. I checked and I don't seem to be paying a penalty for not using a tag either.

I have a FastTrak account but didn't bother installing the transponder. They just read my license plate and bill my account. I checked and I don't seem to be paying a penalty for not using a tag either.
There’s no penalty per se, but if you get the CAV transponder you can get 50% off express lanes and some tolls; that won’t happen by just reading your plate. So it’s less a penalty and more “foregoing a discount.”

There’s no penalty per se, but if you get the CAV transponder you can get 50% off express lanes and some tolls; that won’t happen by just reading your plate. So it’s less a penalty and more “foregoing a discount.”
I hate that you have to have those disgusting decals stuck to your car. We're in an age where cameras can read license plates so things could be made much easier by tying the license place to an EV with no need to show a special sticker. I've found that the time you want to use the carpool lane it's just as backed up as the other lanes so saw no advantage to getting the decals either. Although, I suspect that's going to change in the Bay Area now the carpool lanes are becoming paid express lanes and people may not be as willing to jump in them knowing they come with a price. In SoCal though, the carpool lanes are still free so when the freeway is backed up the carpool lane is just as backed up.

I hate that you have to have those disgusting decals stuck to your car. We're in an age where cameras can read license plates so things could be made much easier by tying the license place to an EV with no need to show a special sticker. I've found that the time you want to use the carpool lane it's just as backed up as the other lanes so saw no advantage to getting the decals either. Although, I suspect that's going to change in the Bay Area now the carpool lanes are becoming paid express lanes and people may not be as willing to jump in them knowing they come with a price. In SoCal though, the carpool lanes are still free so when the freeway is backed up the carpool lane is just as backed up.
Yeah, they’re not pretty.

I hate that you have to have those disgusting decals stuck to your car....
The whole decal program goes away in Sep 2025 anyway. Not too much longer.

The new cars can have them placed anywhere. Only older models had a section in the lower right that required it be placed there.
Does this apply to radar detectors, too? Can they be place anywhere? I understand that there may be issues with my own car setting off the detector as that happens with my current DD. But, I went into the settings of the detector and made some changes to get it to work.

Does this apply to radar detectors, too? Can they be place anywhere? I understand that there may be issues with my own car setting off the detector as that happens with my current DD. But, I went into the settings of the detector and made some changes to get it to work.
Multiple folks with the latest windshields claim dash radar detectors work fine.

But, dash mount is different than windshield mount. Right now, I have mine on my driver side sun visor. I wonder if that will work.

Back