Engineering Explained Sapphire Video

This is probably the best video I've ever seen about Lucid and its place in the automotive universe.

This is must viewing for anyone interested in Lucid as well as Lucid management. I think the comparison to Mercedes in the mid 1980's is spot on. They have engineered the best car available but where they are now is unsustainable. The Gravity is step one to the future. But unless they quickly and dramatically expand their show rooms and test driving facilities they will fail. Mercedes in the mid 1980's had dealers in all major cities. No car company has had the backing that the Saudi's have supplied Lucid. What Musk did with Tesla is mind blowing but the need to scale quickly caused a lot of corner cutting. Lucid needs to move fast to build on its technological advantage. Don't think the competition won't catch up. They need to ramp production and develop a smaller car. If they are successful they can develop a defensible position in the high end a la Porsche. It is where the margin is and they can be the next Porsche. But they have to expand their footprint on the ground in the U.S. at light speed or they will lose. I love my GT. I won't regret buying it if Lucid fails but it would be such a waste of a tremendous opportunity. Mike.

This is must viewing for anyone interested in Lucid as well as Lucid management. I think the comparison to Mercedes in the mid 1980's is spot on. They have engineered the best car available but where they are now is unsustainable. The Gravity is step one to the future. But unless they quickly and dramatically expand their show rooms and test driving facilities they will fail. Mercedes in the mid 1980's had dealers in all major cities. No car company has had the backing that the Saudi's have supplied Lucid. What Musk did with Tesla is mind blowing but the need to scale quickly caused a lot of corner cutting. Lucid needs to move fast to build on its technological advantage. Don't think the competition won't catch up. They need to ramp production and develop a smaller car. If they are successful they can develop a defensible position in the high end a la Porsche. It is where the margin is and they can be the next Porsche. But they have to expand their footprint on the ground in the U.S. at light speed or they will lose. I love my GT. I won't regret buying it if Lucid fails but it would be such a waste of a tremendous opportunity. Mike.
Every company, always, has to expand fast to stay ahead of the competition. That’s not really advice unique to Lucid.

Here is Jason talking about the Sapphire again for about 30 minutes. Really interesting.

Absolutely shits on the Taycan Turbo S lol

Absolutely shits on the Taycan Turbo S lol

Yep. I previously owned a Taycan Turbo S.

People (especially Porsche fans) don't believe me when I tell them my Touring is every bit as good as the Turbo S in terms of driving dynamics. My Turbo S had better brakes (carbon ceramics), but everything else the Touring does equal or better for $85k less. Now compare the Taycan Turbo S to a GT Performance or particularly the Sapphire and it's not even close.

Compare all the non-performance aspects (vehicle packaging, UI, technology, etc) and the Taycan can't even come close.

Lucid needs to move fast to build on its technological advantage. Don't think the competition won't catch up.

This used to be my assumption. But seeing how poorly packaged German EV offerings are (no frunks, the EQS with a 10" longer wheelbase and more cramped rear seat, etc.) -- not to mention less power, less range, and poorer handling (except for the Taycan), I'm beginning to wonder if legacy design issues aren't going to keep the competition too blinkered to catch up with Lucid technology any time soon.

I agree that time is critical for Lucid in gaining volume, but I don't think it's because their technology edge is under assault.

In my opinion Lucid also needs to pitch the Air as a competitor to the Taycan, M5, RS6/7, not the S Class, A8, EQS, or i7.

It's not a boring executive luxury sedan. It's a drivers car. They do seem to be getting to this point with the Sapphire finally.

This used to be my assumption. But seeing how poorly packaged German EV offerings are (no frunks, the EQS with a 10" longer wheelbase and more cramped rear seat, etc.) -- not to mention less power, less range, and poorer handling (except for the Taycan), I'm beginning to wonder if legacy design issues aren't going to keep the competition too blinkered to catch up with Lucid technology any time soon.

I agree that time is critical for Lucid in gaining volume, but I don't think it's because their technology edge is under assault.
100% this.

In my opinion Lucid also needs to pitch the Air as a competitor to the Taycan, M5, RS6/7, not the S Class, A8, EQS, or i7.

It's not a boring executive luxury sedan. It's a drivers car. They do seem to be getting to this point with the Sapphire finally.
Yup, it shouldnt be competing with the 7 series only based on rear seat space, compare it with a M5 with the additional perk of having a 7 series sized rear seat. IMO, Lucid's advertisement approach could use some excitement(around driving, storylines, etc) however their current apple-esque aesthetic is also very good.

The Lucid is an All in One car. Driving of a taycan, rear seat of a i7, better range than anybody, interior finishes again of a i7.... I could go on and on.

Back