Engineering Explained joining the Lucid Lemon Club

Agree totally and I am out West. Lucid's financials won't live or die based upon opening 3 hours earlier. Or 7 days a week for that matter; false economy I think.

DAN
 
An EE video thread diverging into semiconductor component failures and mobile devices power consumption
A smear campaign??

How dare he talk about his experience. What a jerk, that guy.
How dare we critique his critique of the lucid Air. I think a reasonable level headed individual would look at his video and conclude there is a fair amount of dramatization and nit picking. I've felt the same about some Edmunds reviews. Both contained in my opinion, excessive coverage of miniscule things. But heck, humans love drama and it gets views.

1- "my dog looked uncomfortable" . Finding: L to R rear HVAC vent temps varied. As an owner of two dogs, please.... give me a break. He went around the vehicle looking for stuff to complain about.
2- Car lost track of trunk/frunk/door status. Yup, I've seen it. hardly lemon law stuff. I close them, open then manually, whatever. As a functional matter, I don't have doors/drunk/frunk open for long. I use them, close them.
 
I want to close out an aggravating and exhausting day on a couple of notes:

First, a shout out to Javier and Renzo at the Miami Service Center. I know first-hand how swamped they are, and I'm pretty sure it is not their job to deal with cars that aren't in their shop or customers with roadside issues. But both of them stepped up today with friendliness and understanding to help us out of a real bind when Customer Care was not around. I can't thank them enough. Even once they knew the car would go to Roswell instead of Miami, they never seized on an excuse to turn us away or fob us off onto someone else.

Second, to Lucid management. Customer Service used to be open seven days a week and start at an hour that covered morning on the east coast. They are now closed on Sundays and do not open other days until 8:00 a.m. Pacific time. The workloads that are apparent to anyone trying to get on a Service Center schedule make it clear that customers need more support than the reduced hours in Customer Care are giving them. Roadside Assistance is a third party that is very limited in the scope of what they know and can do and is not an after-hours substitute for Customer Care.

I know Lucid has to keep an eye on costs, but this is a very risky place to do it in the long term.

I'm still shocked you heard from a company executive. Where else does that occur in the automotive world..... on a holiday weekend. That man is all-in at Lucid.
 
I'm still shocked you heard from a company executive. Where else does that occur in the automotive world..... on a holiday weekend. That man is all-in at Lucid.

He probably knows how pivotal he has become to the fate of the company.
 
He probably knows how pivotal he has become to the fate of the company.
He also really does care. Always has. He was very early to Atieva, and his “blood bleeds Lucid,” for better or worse. Rawlinson joined in 2013, and Emad in 2015. He’s been there for 11 years now, and is one of the few “old guard” execs left; moreover, he didn’t come in as an exec, but grew within the ranks.

He cares.
 
An EE video thread diverging into semiconductor component failures and mobile devices power consumption

How dare we critique his critique of the lucid Air. I think a reasonable level headed individual would look at his video and conclude there is a fair amount of dramatization and nit picking. I've felt the same about some Edmunds reviews. Both contained in my opinion, excessive coverage of miniscule things. But heck, humans love drama and it gets views.

1- "my dog looked uncomfortable" . Finding: L to R rear HVAC vent temps varied. As an owner of two dogs, please.... give me a break. He went around the vehicle looking for stuff to complain about.
2- Car lost track of trunk/frunk/door status. Yup, I've seen it. hardly lemon law stuff. I close them, open then manually, whatever. As a functional matter, I don't have doors/drunk/frunk open for long. I use them, close them.
Just to note, I've had my Gravity frunk and trunk open for HOURS at a time at several car and EV shows and Cars & Coffee I've attended in the past year and it has never given issue. Not saying that doesn't happen but just a reference point for a Gravity.
 
Just to note, I've had my Gravity frunk and trunk open for HOURS at a time at several car and EV shows and Cars & Coffee I've attended in the past year and it has never given issue. Not saying that doesn't happen but just a reference point for a Gravity.
Yeah, Gravity doesn't do this. I have no idea why Air does, but it's very consistent; after about 10 minutes of either hatch being open, it requires manual closure. Been that way since the day I got the car. Have never faced any issues with it, though, other than having to use my teensy muscles to close the big bad motorized hatch. :P

This is a perfect example of "sure, it's a legitimate thing that happens, and I just really do not care in the slightest." Not every issue is like that, of course, but some are.
 
You need to take the good with the bad. The guy is allowed to talk about his issues just like everyone does in here on a daily basis. He just has a wider audience that potentially listens. Although, I do question if a majority of Lucid’s demographic would even know who he is.

It amazes me that everyone will rave about these influencers when they make positive videos but the moment they make a negative one, the pitch forks come out.
He is an engineer making engineering videos.

No business coming out with a video presenting mundane issues about a car. Most issues are meh!

He is doing disservice to many who would have considered a Lucid by over exaggerating the issues. Not very transparent.

He should stick what he is an expert at instead repeatedly posting smearing videos every few months. He takes a bunch of minor inconveniences and blows them up. Hey, look at me, I have a few minor issues with my lucid , let me tell the world. Such selfishness….me me me…..
 
EE is using his YouTube popularity to smear Lucid so they would lemon his car and give him VIP treatment, yuck mentality!
 
This cycle of comments each time an EE video on Lucid drops makes me wonder if there is something fundamentally more buggy with 2025+ model year Airs. I see the same comments each time with people saying their 2023/2024 Airs have been “flawless” and don’t see these problems. I’ve experienced at least half of the issues that Jason has had on his Air with my 2025 AT between the two videos he’s posted.
 
This cycle of comments each time an EE video on Lucid drops makes me wonder if there is something fundamentally more buggy with 2025+ model year Airs. I see the same comments each time with people saying their 2023/2024 Airs have been “flawless” and don’t see these problems. I’ve experienced at least half of the issues that Jason has had on his Air with my 2025 AT between the two videos he’s posted.

It's that damn CCCv2! Wanna swap?
 
This cycle of comments each time an EE video on Lucid drops makes me wonder if there is something fundamentally more buggy with 2025+ model year Airs. I see the same comments each time with people saying their 2023/2024 Airs have been “flawless” and don’t see these problems. I’ve experienced at least half of the issues that Jason has had on his Air with my 2025 AT between the two videos he’s posted.

I don't know if it's a model year thing so much as a luck of the draw type thing. The Air hasn't changed that much between model years. So even if they have generally gotten better at building over time, it's possible the car is just harder than the average car to assemble correctly, and thus prone to having a few more problematic cars than others.

Build anything on an assembly line, and you will get the occasional bad apple. Without a major change in the way the car is constructed, I don't see how they improve that.
 
I’ll remember that when I can’t get into my car when I need to go to work. Or when the cruise control sets Itself to 30mph on the freeway without warning.
I keep saying, when you stop complaining, things get fixed magically . That’s how fate works. Try to zone out about your car for a few weeks.

I sympathize with the problems you had with the car. Maybe this would work. Lucid may even finally lemon your car.
 
I don't know if it's a model year thing so much as a luck of the draw type thing. The Air hasn't changed that much between model years. So even if they have generally gotten better at building over time, it's possible the car is just harder than the average car to assemble correctly, and thus prone to having a few more problematic cars than others.

Build anything on an assembly line, and you will get the occasional bad apple. Without a major change in the way the car is constructed, I don't see how they improve that.
Most are software issues. Permutations are endless and accounting for all of those is very difficult. That’s why it took Tesla so long. A decade. Lucid will get there too.

That’s why EE video shows his ignorance, being an engineer, I’m surprised he couldn’t figure this out.
 
I used to think it might be that old 'Never buy a car built on a Monday or Friday.' mantra. Perhaps it's that faster inventory turnover of the newer model years has not allowed the cars to properly bake in the Casa Grande parking lot.
 
Last edited:
I used to think it might be that old 'Never buy a car built on a Monday or Friday.' mantra. Perhaps it's that faster inventory turnover of fthe newer model years has not allowed the cars to properly bake in the Casa Grande parking lot.

That Arizona desert sand does wonders, I'm sure.
 
I experienced the roll mode issue back in January 2026 on my 2025 AT. Was parked on a steep hill and it was very scary when the car started rolling quickly backwards when in drive. It holds the brake for a couple seconds, so it feels like you’re still in HOLD until it unexpectedly releases.

It’s very difficult to change this setting by mistake if you aren’t on that settings page, as it is buried several menus deep. I know for sure this wasn’t the case for me. I’d imagine others rarely fiddle with the drive settings page.

I emailed [email protected] about this after it happened but apparently it still hasn’t been fixed, which is unnerving. I’ve seen other reports on Reddit of this happening recently too. Lucid should just make it always default to HOLD mode.
Motorcycles have 'hold', which because of the opposite problem, of it being too strong, has led some to stall and drop their bikes (failing to apply the necessary throttle to get going). The Lucid also appears torque sensitive and sounds like steepness can defeat its breaking torque. I know this doesn't explain falling out of pre-selected 'hold', but as it is an issue while using the car it is minor, IMO, compared to a failing parking brake (or bursting lines, in an old GM product). Pay attention. Complain, and pay attention. My MS rolls backward in Drive, if it isn't in 'creep'. It hasn't fallen out, but as I go back and forth using this mode I remain aware.
 
This cycle of comments each time an EE video on Lucid drops makes me wonder if there is something fundamentally more buggy with 2025+ model year Airs. I see the same comments each time with people saying their 2023/2024 Airs have been “flawless” and don’t see these problems. I’ve experienced at least half of the issues that Jason has had on his Air with my 2025 AT between the two videos he’s posted.
Agreed, I have a 2023 Air GT with the CCCv2 upgrade, and apart from CarPlay not booting once, and the clicks on my FOB to open the car registering about 75% of the time, the thing has been flawless (until an idiot with a rental car rear-ended my car and now I am waiting for their insurance to pay out the 30k for me to get it fixed). Also the 2.9.0 update was perfect, which actually seems to have solved the FOB issues.
 
Back
Top