Engineering Explained discussing the Sapphire

Gravity will sell at least 2x Air. Because it is an SUV. Because that is what every other SUV does relative to the sedan that is based on does. If the automaker decides to make a sedan on the same platform.

If Lucid was asking a $10k premium for Sapphire over GTP then it would be telling the potential consumer we just slapped another motor back there. Every bit more car requires ever increasing delta on price.
Agree, Aston almost tripled their sales with the DBX. I suspect Gravity will x 4 sales. Its cheaper than the supercar SUV's from Rolls, Bentley, Ferrari, Lamborghini and more attainable by the majority.

How many average people do you know that buy cars off how they handle? Its again one of those things that car people care about but the average person doesn't. In fact, they probably wont even know the difference if they drove them side by side. Highly disagree with usable power until you get to the plaid vs GTP levels. You get plenty power from MS LR and too much in the Plaid especially for normal street driving. If you put the cars on a track, I am pretty confident that you would need a GTP at the least to beat the Plaid and again we are talking a niche use case with a $25k price tag difference.

Model S is $74,999 btw. Lucid may have the physical technology there but we both now in practice Tesla's autopilot is miles better at this point. Do you think the average consumer cares about lidar if the feature is worse? Not to mention, autopilot is free, FSD is 15k but comparing FSD to DDP is a TERRIBLE showing for Lucid.

How many people know who Lucid is? How many people know what a Tesla is? Brand recognition is as simple as that.
It's not as simple as that and frankly, we had the chance to buy the MShit and passed. Tired of reading about an inferior car in the Lucid fourm!

Agree, Aston almost tripled their sales with the DBX. I suspect Gravity will x 4 sales. Its cheaper than the supercar SUV's from Rolls, Bentley, Ferrari, Lamborghini and more attainable by the majority.
Much larger addressable market for sure. I am very interested to see the trims and price points. I’m very happy with the Sedan, but with the SUV I know I can convince more people to give Lucid a look.

Much larger addressable market for sure. I am very interested to see the trims and price points. I’m very happy with the Sedan, but with the SUV I know I can convince more people to give Lucid a look.
This is a key point. I would never buy Gravity, because I just have no use for an SUV. But I will catch a lot more friends’ attention once Gravity is shipping. I’m the oddball amongst my friends who still drives a sedan.

This is a key point. I would never buy Gravity, because I just have no use for an SUV. But I will catch a lot more friends’ attention once Gravity is shipping. I’m the oddball amongst my friends who still drives a sedan.
Friend no more

I appreciate everyone who buys a Porsche SUV, a BMW SUV, a Lamborghini SUV, a Ferrari SUV, an Aston Martin SUV, and most certainly a Lucid SUV, if it helps those companies continue to build the cars I want.
Amen

I'm with you. My wife and I are SUV fatigue and didn't want a SUV when we were looking for a Model S replacement.

We often need the ground clearance.

The DE performance even with 1111 hp can not beat the Plaid.
Could Lucid put a dual motor in the back of an Air Grand touring and beat the Plaid. Yes.

I‘m so glad they did it right. The Sapphire is the “M” version. It is just as much or more better than an Air GT as an M5 comp is over a 550i.

All these cars are great.

A Honda Accord is a great 90% car.

Once you get to 90% every percent above has a significant cost.
Once you get to 99% every tenth has a significant cost.
Once you get to 99.9% every hundredth has a significant cost.

The plaid is a 96% car. The Sapphire is a 99.9x% car.
Very well put and right on the money esp the last statement.

I believe good engineering always succeeds as it trickles down to cheaper vehicles.

Back