Energy limited due to cold battery message

MorganB

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Touring Silver Santa Cruz
Referral Code
93UMQZHW
I’m getting this message this morning. It was about 12 degrees overnight. Now 29. I’ve been in the car driving around town for about 1 hour.

9F0F3850-6EC4-4423-A159-C5D0EE53D5C2.png

Excellent. I'm thinking about all the "this is my first EV" folk who are going to be blindsided by cold weather battery performance.

this will probably show up on all EVs going forward.
Funny I didn't see it ??? It's 259 K this AM.
Lost 8 miles driving 1/2 mile to liquor store and back.

This is very common for EVs when the batteries are cold. Tesla does the same thing,

Poor battery got cold soaked. You can precondition it from the car if you wish, it will chew up some range but bring it to optimal temp

Excellent. I'm thinking about all the "this is my first EV" folk who are going to be blindsided by cold weather battery performance.

259 K!!! 🥶

Since you went to the liquor store , imbibe a bit and forget about that pesky range loss. 😉😉

Can I get this message even though I have my charger connected entire day and have not used my car?
Yes it’s based on the temp of the battery as gas as I can tell.

Can I get this message even though I have my charger connected entire day and have not used my car?

I am only an N of 1 here, but it was 20-30 below zero here each morning Sun-Tuesday . I drove to work and left the car out all day and the high temperature was 10 below zero. I parked it in my detached garage that night, where the interior of the garage was close to zero and had it plugged in and never got that error message . I realize that each situation is different but I would probably call service and inquire about what specific circumstances or conditions lead to the cold battery warning.

Attachments

• 451A16BC-46B7-407E-B053-DF21B574D4F0.jpeg
    451A16BC-46B7-407E-B053-DF21B574D4F0.jpeg
    528.2 KB · Views: 94
I am only an N of 1 here, but it was 20-30 below zero here each morning Sun-Tuesday . I drove to work and left the car out all day and the high temperature was 10 below zero. I parked it in my detached garage that night, where the interior of the garage was close to zero and had it plugged in and never got that error message . I realize that each situation is different but I would probably call service and inquire about what specific circumstances or conditions lead to the cold battery warning.
Thanks! Car is parked in garage and temperature outside is around 20F. I did contact customer service but they indicated because it is cold car is giving that alert. I am surprised, that I am getting that message even though car is plugged in. I thought plugging in might keep the battery warm. Anyway, I will see if it goes away, since temperature is going to be higher in coming days.

Thanks! Car is parked in garage and temperature outside is around 20F. I did contact customer service but they indicated because it is cold car is giving that alert. I am surprised, that I am getting that message even though car is plugged in. I thought plugging in might keep the battery warm. Anyway, I will see if it goes away, since temperature is going to be higher in coming days.
I have this same issue. I thought that having the car plugged in would prevent this but as far as I can tell there is no advantage to being constantly plugged in. Pre-conditioning will not eliminate the message either. I tried Pre-conditioning plugged in and unplugged but still have the message. It only goes away after driving for 20 or 30 minutes.

Pete

I have this same issue. I thought that having the car plugged in would prevent this but as far as I can tell there is no advantage to being constantly plugged in. Pre-conditioning will not eliminate the message either. I tried Pre-conditioning plugged in and unplugged but still have the message. It only goes away after driving for 20 or 30 minutes.

Pete
Thanks, CS asked me to precondition it which takes 45 min or so and it did go away, probably it is similar to driving for a while. I think this alert can be ignored, I saw first time and just wanted to confirm can it appear even when car is plugged in? CS said it will occur regardless of car is plugged in or not due to cold weather.

So relevant question..
Isn't the thermal battery management system supposed to keep battery at good temperatures to stop damage or degradation?

I've mentioned this before, but I rarely ever notice the Lucid wake itself up to warm the battery (although I've never stood next to it long enough to notice or hear if it's heating up or anything)

But I've only ever noticed it waking up when it senses the FOB or my phone sometimes.

So relevant question..
Isn't the thermal battery management system supposed to keep battery at good temperatures to stop damage or degradation?

I've mentioned this before, but I rarely ever notice the Lucid wake itself up to warm the battery (although I've never stood next to it long enough to notice or hear if it's heating up or anything)

But I've only ever noticed it waking up when it senses the FOB or my phone sometimes.
I don’t know if the car wakes up fully in order for the battery management system to kick in. I’ve heard what sounds like fans and motors coming from my car even when the car is locked and I assume that’s the BMS doing its thing.

Back