Electric Snobbery?

KenAir

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air GT
I have had my AGT for just two weeks. I flat-out love it. And I've noticed something curious - I'm a changed person! For at least 40 years I have read most of the various car magazines. I tended to read at least some of any article about any car, even say economy cars or trucks or whatever I personally was not interested in. But now, post-Lucid, I find I have stopped reading ANY article about any gas-powered "ICE" car. I just skip right over them. Does not matter if it is a sports car, exotic, sports sedan, hot hatch, whatever. If it is ICE, I skip it like I would an article about cauliflower farming. For me, my world is totally post-ICE. I never expected that, but there it is. Am I alone?

I have had my AGT for just two weeks. I flat-out love it. And I've noticed something curious - I'm a changed person! For at least 40 years I have read most of the various car magazines. I tended to read at least some of any article about any car, even say economy cars or trucks or whatever I personally was not interested in. But now, post-Lucid, I find I have stopped reading ANY article about any gas-powered "ICE" car. I just skip right over them. Does not matter if it is a sports car, exotic, sports sedan, hot hatch, whatever. If it is ICE, I skip it like I would an article about cauliflower farming. For me, my world is totally post-ICE. I never expected that, but there it is. Am I alone?
No you're not alone. In the news aggregator that I use, I have an Auto topic selected and just scroll through it looking for nothing but Lucid.

Not at all, you are not alone. I am also addicted to finding latest EV information.

I'm not sure I'd call it snobbery, but going electric ruined most ICE cars for me. I say 'most' because I still have a thing for the classics, but I find it difficult to get excited about the latest in mainstream ICE world.

Exactly the same with both me and my brother, another EV enthusiast.

I used to subscribe to "Motor Trend", "Car & Driver", "Road & Track", and "Autoweek". These days, if I encounter an article about an ICE vehicle, my eyes just glaze over. Reading about gear shift ratios, fuel injector orifices, compression ratios, exhaust back pressures, valve timing, oil change intervals, etc., feels about as relevant to my car ownership and driving as reading about how dinosaurs got around before I go for a walk.

What do you have against cauliflower farming??

(only kidding, people. No corrective action required 🤣)

These days I feel like ICE cars sure make a lot of noise and smoke to not go very fast.

I know that there does not exist a better do-it-all car for me, at any price, than Lucid. I don’t have space for a second car so there is no point worrying about it. So I am no longer impressed by new ICEs.

(Obviously EVs have certain serious limitations and are not the best for every situation. But for my needs, nothing beats EV.)

Obliviously not alone going by the comments here lol. But I'm still very much an ICE guy for certain types of cars. When it comes to weekend fun a manual transmission and the Elise or s2k means I'm a happy camper.

For an all around experience where I know where I'm going and coming is why I'm getting an EV. I hate getting gas. It isn't logical because it takes all of 4 minutes but the idea of just plugging in at home is worth the other hassles of EV ownership.

The reason I'm getting a lucid is because it's the only EV that gives more than average interior, range and performance. I just hope reliability holds up. The ioniq5 is a weird cross shop I know, but it was right there with the Lucid until literally 30 minutes ago

. . . the idea of just plugging in at home is worth the other hassles of EV ownership.

After owning EVs for eight years (two Teslas and a Lucid), I honestly don't know of any hassles unique to them other than occasional difficulties in charging on road trips at CCS chargers, especially Electrify America. And, like you, I find gassing up a car every few days annoying enough that home charging convenience more than pays for infrequent road trip charging aggravation.

Sure, EVs can have breakdowns and software snafus just as any ICE vehicle can, but the two most unreliable cars I've ever owned were a Chevrolet Corvette and a Mercedes SL55 AMG. After 14 months of owning a Lucid, I can place it among my most reliable cars in terms of mechanicals. And after the UX 2.0 series of software updates, even its infamous software woes have largely faded away to put Lucid's software almost on a par with Tesla's (and better in some regards).

It used to be I love randomly walk into dealership showrooms to check out the newest and latest for my curious eyes. I have stopped doing this. To me, the new high standard is Lucid Air and Rivian R1S. Others brands like Hyundai, Kia, Ford, GM, Volvo and even Porsche and BMW are nice, but they have been step down for me comparing to these cars in their cabin, aesthetic and power. I now only looking for Electrify Expo similar type of auto-fair coming to Texas. Both Lucid and Rivian can only keep improving their software and imo are high benchmark to beat by other automakers.

It used to be I love randomly walk into dealership showrooms to check out the newest and latest for my curious eyes. I have stopped doing this. To me, the new high standard is Lucid Air and Rivian R1S. Others brands like Hyundai, Kia, Ford, GM, Volvo and even Porsche and BMW are nice, but they have been step down for me comparing to these cars in their cabin, aesthetic and power. I now only looking for Electrify Expo similar type of auto-fair coming to Texas. Both Lucid and Rivian can only keep improving their software and imo are high benchmark to beat by other automakers.

Same here. If our Lucid is declared totaled as a result of our recent crash, we will be replacing it with another Lucid as similar to ours as we can find. We already have a Tesla Model S Plaid, and I've done a bit of tooling around other manufacturer websites (MB, BMW, etc.) just to be sure I shouldn't sample another brand as we plan to come back to Lucid, anyway, to replace our Honda minivan when the Gravity SUV comes out next year. But it quickly becomes apparent that there is nothing like the Air with its combination of power, handling, luxury features, and understated modernism.

If this were still UX 1.0 days, I would be tempted to wander. But UX 2.0 brought such improvements -- including some features that aced even Tesla's software -- that the door has firmly closed on considering anything other than a Lucid.

After 14 months of owning a Lucid, I can place it among my most reliable cars in terms of mechanicals.
That's great to hear. This being my first EV the fact that I can't wrench on it to fix things or take it to non "dealership" is worrying. I may be overthinking here since we have that 4 yr warranty, but I tend to keep cars until the wheels fall off.

I honestly don't know of any hassles unique to them other than occasional difficulties in charging on road trips at CCS chargers, especially Electrify America.

I think that's it for me. The range is a big bonus to quality of life, but the anxiety is charge based. The last I saw from Rate My Charge 65% of EA chargers were working and Tesla has the best network and they were rated at 85% . I'd lose my mind if gas stations only worked 85% of the time. Then there are the different chargers and slow charging cars taking faster stations etc. It almost feels like it's too early and the culture and infrastructure has yet to develop. But with 425 miles unless it's one of the big trips I do 1 or 2 times a year I'll just charge at home.

We've had Teslas since 2015 and never encountered a problem using a Supercharger station, except a couple of times when we had to wait in line for a charging post to become free.

Electrify America has been another story altogether, although we've never actually been stranded and unable to charge. However, we've had some charging sessions that lasted well over an hour while various problems had to be resolved. And the only time I decided to experiment with trying a ChargePoint station, it took me and their customer service rep 15 minutes on the phone to figure out it was inoperable.

I mean, I really do love porsche and bmw. Porsche for the dynamics, good dealers, and aesthetics/cabin quality. The i7 as well is alright in my opinion, but the packaging is terrible. If these two companies step up their EV tech, and introduce better packaging, they could well be a serious contender. And with Neue Klasse and MEB coming soon, they could mount a good old fashioned fight.
And I'm all for it.

The reason I'm getting a lucid is because it's the only EV that gives more than average interior, range and performance. I just hope reliability holds up. The ioniq5 is a weird cross shop I know, but it was right there with the Lucid until literally 30 minutes ago
Actually, the GV60 is the better cross shop. Neither the Ioniq 5 nor the GV60 will handle like the Lucid but they do give better sight lines and the power falls more closely in line with the Lucid Airs.

I'm not sure I'd call it snobbery, but going electric ruined most ICE cars for me. I say 'most' because I still have a thing for the classics, but I find it difficult to get excited about the latest in mainstream ICE world.

There are two ICEs I still want:

1) Bugatti Chiron
2) Mid-60s 'vette ragtop

1) is a pipe dream, but 2) may happen some day.

Otherwise I only care about new EVs. Love to read about them even if I don't want one (Hummer, Lightning). It happened about the end of 2021, when I put a deposit down on the R1S. I thought that thing was incredible! 800 HP, 0-60 in 3.2, four motors that can independently spin and do a tank turn (still hoping they work that out), luxury-level interior.

But I wanted one NOW! A few months later I put a deposit down on my AT.

Still waiting!

Then I watched Doug DeMuro's GV-60 review and I wanted one of THOSE! But wait! They were actually on sale and I could get one NOW! I waffled for a month as it was way more than I have ever paid for a car (yeah, I know...it's still cheaper than the R1S & the Lucid, but I still hadn't actually BOUGHT one yet).

I emailed the dealer, worked a deal (very happy that there was no "market adjustment"), then drove my FX-37 up to NJ and came back with a new GV-60. I've had it for six months and I love it. I had never owned a car that fast. And it was so quiet. I have never gotten to 100 MPH in an any ICE car and not noticed it. It is so effortless. I am amazed I haven't gotten any tickets in six months.

In the not too distant future, people are going to think, "Wow. We used to drive around with an ICE in every car! Why? That's crazy!"

I have never gotten to 100 MPH in an any ICE car and not noticed it. It is so effortless. I am amazed I haven't gotten any tickets in six months.

This is the reason one of the first trips a new EV makes from our house is to a radar detector installer.

It's not that I particularly try or want to speed. It's just that speed comes on so quickly, effortlessly, and silently in these cars that it takes constant attention to keep them reined in.

When road conditions allow, I have always preferred to break out of a pack of traffic to move into an open space and then slow down to keep from advancing into the next pack. The speeds one can reach in an Air in what feels like nanoseconds is still astonishing to me even after eight years of driving performance versions of the Tesla Model S.

All higher-end EVs are quick off the mark. What amazes me about the Air is how hard the power still comes on from speed. In this regard, our dual-motor Air is on a par with our tri-motor Plaid S. I can't even begin to imagine what the Sapphire will do . . . and probably don't want to find out.

In the Tesla, the first sensations of too much speed come from the car's suspension getting twitchy. As "Car & Driver" found in a test drive, the Air stays much more composed, removing yet another feedback source of excessive speed. In fact, they said the only thing that made them uncomfortable as the Air Dream P neared 178 mph was that the plastic aero blades flew off three of the wheels.

Yes. Weird for me. Was born to manipulate things mechanical = took everything apart once I learned what screwdrivers and wrenches do. Erector sets were my go-to toy. Took the lawn mower apart once strong enough (lots of left-over parts when re-assembled ??). Learned to hot-wire VWs in the early 60's and lived in the golden era of American muscle cars. Poured through the J C Whitney catalogues and imagined having the money to order all kinds of bolt-on mods for dad's '63 beetle. Learned cross-threading and helicoils putting new plugs in his engine. Learned what a high-voltage coil does (hurts). Setting points with a matchbook cover ... chalking the timing mark on the '63 Falcon...burping the coolant during a flush/refill....star-wrenching wheel bolts...all that stuff you learn by doing it wrongly.

I've given away my tools. Kept the floor jack but not even sure I'm going to put the summer wheels on myself since I'll have to call Andy anyway to reprogram the Lucid. Today would be a good day to do this job.... but ... something's changed

Lucid has changed my life. I'm astonished how much: I'm actually taking the time to learn how my phone works ... because of Lucid.

Agreed. EV's have ruined all of the ICE supercar videos I used to watch that were focused on the competition to realize 0-60 improvements measured in tenths of a second.

The only ICE car I care about driving now is my weekender Targa due to it being the polar opposite driving experience from the Lucid with the removable roof, manual transmission, sportier handling, and the sound of the sports exhaust. I now also could care less about how fast it is or isn't.

I also find myself following all of the EV news, but I also notice myself getting a little anxious about announcements regarding the next wave of EV innovation and the impact to current EV values. Fortunately, when I'm behind the wheel, this all goes away as the Lucid is such an amazing driving experience that future improvements in range and tech become almost an afterthought as I wouldn't change a thing about the ride quality.

Same for me. Once I went EV and realized I will likely never go to a gas station again, I was pretty much done with ICE cars.

There are one or two dream cars I'd still see myself considering. Like a 911. Or an old 60s Corvette, or an Aston Martin, or something. But even if I had the money to throw around, I'd probably pass at this point.

Another thing that helped me lose interest in newer ICE cars: the removal of manual transmission as an option. What's the point of a Ferrari or Lambo with an automatic? I don't care if it's .05 seconds faster. I want to shift my own gears.

Back