Early Adopter in Cupertino

DeaneG

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT, XC40 P8 EV
Referral Code
3OKY7YGA
We're an EV-only household currently, and I'm interested in the Air for its great range. Placed a deposit on an AGT on Feb 28. In the meantime we're driving our third and fourth EVs, a 2018 Model 3 "stealth" performance and a 2021 XC40 P8. I'm looking at selling the Model 3 later this year to get something more complete as a car, with the same range or greater. I'll also be cross-shopping the Polestar 3, and the refreshed 2023 Audi e-tron, which is supposed to have greatly improved capability. After the Model 3 and the XC40, I'm very experienced with incomplete and buggy software. I'm hoping the Air's code matures a bit by the time I'd get mine. Was an EE/SW/product dev for 40 years with mostly startup experience, so I've seen the movie a few times.

We're an EV-only household currently, and I'm interested in the Air for its great range. Placed a deposit on an AGT on Feb 28. In the meantime we're driving our third and fourth EVs, a 2018 Model 3 "stealth" performance and a 2021 XC40 P8. I'm looking at selling the Model 3 later this year to get something more complete as a car, with the same range or greater. I'll also be cross-shopping the Polestar 3, and the refreshed 2023 Audi e-tron, which is supposed to have greatly improved capability. After the Model 3 and the XC40, I'm very experienced with incomplete and buggy software. I'm hoping the Air's code matures a bit by the time I'd get mine. Was an EE/SW/product dev for 40 years with mostly startup experience, so I've seen the movie a few times.
Welcome to the group.

I’m in Cupertino too, and my DE sorta makes me the definition of an early adopter :)

I was looking at Polestar also and am curious what the Polestar 3 will bring concerning range. The Polestar 2 range is not adequate for my needs. I also rejected the e-tron due to range but didn't realize a refreshed version was coming! I've got the Air Pure reserved so I have a feeling these cars will be on the market before I have to lock in.

Are you still considering an Air after your test drive? I got the impression that you were not impressed by the car compared to you current EVs?

I was looking at Polestar also and am curious what the Polestar 3 will bring concerning range. The Polestar 2 range is not adequate for my needs. I also rejected the e-tron due to range but didn't realize a refreshed version was coming! I've got the Air Pure reserved so I have a feeling these cars will be on the market before I have to lock in.
I read the Polestar 3 will be capable of "over 300 miles", but at worst that could be 301 miles WLTP or 201 miles on the good ol' USA freeways. As an Android user I do enjoy the app-based user interface on AAOS that we have on our XC40 EV and have seen on the Polestar 2. We've road-tripped enough in the XC40 to want something that can do 300+ miles on the freeway (real 75mph range, not Tesla range). It's that, or as a distant second, make do with an XC60 T8 plug-in hybrid.

Are you still considering an Air after your test drive? I got the impression that you were not impressed by the car compared to you current EVs?
I still want to like the Air, and am planning to test drive it again this summer to compare it against emerging 2023 alternative choices. When I drove the Air I didn't get the immediate "this is it" feeling I had when I first drove a Tesla, or our XC40. The three are completely different vehicles.

I read the Polestar 3 will be capable of "over 300 miles", but at worst that could be 301 miles WLTP or 201 miles on the good ol' USA freeways. As an Android user I do enjoy the app-based user interface on AAOS that we have on our XC40 EV and have seen on the Polestar 2. We've road-tripped enough in the XC40 to want something that can do 300+ miles on the freeway (real 75mph range, not Tesla range). It's that, or as a distant second, make do with an XC60 T8 plug-in hybrid.
I actually downloaded the A Better Route Planner App that the Polestar has native in AAOS to help determine how far I can go, when I have to stop etc in a variety of EV models. Using that app helped me understand the difference between EPA rating and real world conditions which ruled out the Polestar 2 for me. The XC40 EV looks really nice!

I actually downloaded the A Better Route Planner App that the Polestar has native in AAOS to help determine how far I can go, when I have to stop etc in a variety of EV models.... The XC40 EV looks really nice!
I've been doing the same with ABRP to understand what a difference the Air would make on long trips.

The XC40 is a fantastic daily runabout, so comfortable and competent. We've even taken a few 1000-mile loops in it, with a LOT of charging stops. Hoping to charge 1/3 as often with a vehicle like the Air.

Last edited:
I actually downloaded the A Better Route Planner App that the Polestar has native in AAOS to help determine how far I can go, when I have to stop etc in a variety of EV models. Using that app helped me understand the difference between EPA rating and real world conditions which ruled out the Polestar 2 for me. The XC40 EV looks really nice!

I started following the Polestar 3 sub-forum. There was a very nice analysis of a 55 mb image of the Polestar 3 that suggested a lot about its capabilities. The picture was good enough to even read tire sizes. While we don’t know for sure, it seems reasonable that the Polestar 3 will be built with 800V architecture, as Geely has already turned to that for its other cars. However, it’s doubtful that it will get the Lucid-rivaling P10 engine. Based on tire size and frontal area, the forum guess is 300 miles of real world range, though nothing yet is known about battery pack size.

I started following the Polestar 3 sub-forum. There was a very nice analysis of a 55 mb image of the Polestar 3 that suggested a lot about its capabilities. The picture was good enough to even read tire sizes. While we don’t know for sure, it seems reasonable that the Polestar 3 will be built with 800V architecture, as Geely has already turned to that for its other cars. However, it’s doubtful that it will get the Lucid-rivaling P10 engine. Based on tire size and frontal area, the forum guess is 300 miles of real world range, though nothing yet is known about battery pack size.
What car is that P10 engine going in then? The roadster?

What car is that P10 engine going in then? The roadster?

I’m guessing it goes into the Polestar 5, as the engine probably won’t be built in volume until 2024, and the Polestar 5 will be introduced then. Polestar 3 (Cayenne-like) intro is supposed to be 2022 with production in 2023. Polestar 4 (Macan-like) is 2023/2024. Polestar 5 (Panamera-like) is 2024/2025.

From what I can tell, the Lucid engine seems as advanced as the P10, but I’m not an engineer.

Welcome! They are laser focused on improving the software and release updates every week. I am sure it will be pretty solid by the time you get yours.

Back