EA positive story

I suspect that Tesla's V4 superchargers with CCS will support up to 920v. It's required for any CCS station in Europe at 150kW and over, and I hope/imagine in the USA as well.

Saw 298kw once, 301 another time on preconditioned battery at around 14-18% SOC if memory serves correctly. When I hit 301 it failed 8 minutes later but then I switched plugs and got mid 200s until it tapered appropriately as SOC went up. It was also a very hot day so I think the cable just overheated. I’ve never got above 200 on the 350kw near me though regardless of SOC or preconditioning.
I never experienced a 350kW EA stall working yet. But I’ve seen 172kW and 174kW speed couple times at 150kW stalls preconditioned charged.

At the Santa Clarita Walmart. An f*ing bolt owner is taking the 350 when all the 150’s are free. Went to the other 350 and wouldn’t start, pulled up to a 150 and wouldn’t start then became unavailable. Finally on the 3rd charger got it going and then see this…….

869C6772-CAFD-4415-A96D-8B990BAC122D.jpeg

EA is an absolute joke!

350 EVGo didn’t have issues in the 110 degree heat. This is on par with the charging curve I believe

B8DB570F-DE5A-46C6-AF1F-7712D9B7F155.jpeg

At the Santa Clarita Walmart. An f*ing bolt owner is taking the 350 when all the 150’s are free. Went to the other 350 and wouldn’t start, pulled up to a 150 and wouldn’t start then became unavailable. Finally on the 3rd charger got it going and then see this…….

View attachment 4497

EA is an absolute joke!
Did you precondition?

Did you precondition?
Yep. Does it actually tell you though when it’s ready? I’ve never seen it stop conditioning even after 30 mins

Yep. Does it actually tell you though when it’s ready? I’ve never seen it stop conditioning even after 30 mins
No it just keeps it at the optimal temp forever

I had the opposite experience yesterday. I plugged into a 150, which didn’t work. I plugged into another one that charged at 62. Took me 32 minutes to go 40%, plus 5 minutes of fidgeting.

I’m making a point to call EA every time I see a problem charger. They do seem to have responsive customer service, but wish the chargers were more reliable.
Where did you go? I charged at the Downtown SR mall yesterday, plugged into the 350kW and pulled 276kW immediately (I had about 12% SoC and no preconditioning), it was also 100 degrees outside. I haven’t charged at the Walmart location in RP, a little too dumpy for me. The 150kW station should pull 175kW in almost all instances, I see it quite frequent. As it’s been pointed out, a 350kW is 2 150kW stations joined (so each has the ability to do 175kW).

Hit the Napa Outlet Center EA charging station last week. None of the chargers worked. Rotated thru every charger twice to no avail. Called EA customer service number. After rebooting the entire station, nada. Called Lucid and we had a three way call with EA to no avail. I was thanked for my patience. Tried an EVgo and a charge was initiated. I received a 100 mile charge for an ridiculous price. Lucid customer service said they would reimburse the fee to charge, but no receipt. The charge showed up on my credit card transaction list. Time involved to go through this ordeal was three plus hours.

Where did you go? I charged at the Downtown SR mall yesterday, plugged into the 350kW and pulled 276kW immediately (I had about 12% SoC and no preconditioning), it was also 100 degrees outside. I haven’t charged at the Walmart location in RP, a little too dumpy for me. The 150kW station should pull 175kW in almost all instances, I see it quite frequent. As it’s been pointed out, a 350kW is 2 150kW stations joined (so each has the ability to do 175kW).
The Petaluma Outlets. I went back today and pulled 135 from a 150 charger, which is pretty good.

Hit the Napa Outlet Center EA charging station last week. None of the chargers worked. Rotated thru every charger twice to no avail. Called EA customer service number. After rebooting the entire station, nada. Called Lucid and we had a three way call with EA to no avail. I was thanked for my patience. Tried an EVgo and a charge was initiated. I received a 100 mile charge for an ridiculous price. Lucid customer service said they would reimburse the fee to charge, but no receipt. The charge showed up on my credit card transaction list. Time involved to go through this ordeal was three plus hours.
Damn, usually EVGo is very fast for me and they charge by the minute, like it’s about $7 to get 300 miles off their newer 350kw units. Of course if it’s their rest stop style 50kw unit then that’s gonna obviously take a lot more time. It’s weird it seems like in the last two months the entire EA network has utterly collapsed and 3/4 charging attempts fail or are painfully slow.

FWIW, just got back from a 16 day road trip Tulsa-St Louis-Detroit-Toronto-NYC- Wash DC-Virginia-Memphis-Tulsa, used EA chargers almost exclusively (including EA Canada) at least 20 times in the 4,200+ miles. One EVGO charger. At EA chargers, a couple times had to switch units after plugging in and getting charger unavailable message. Had the charging limited by station message multiple times of course but overall, generally pretty pain free. Only had to wait once for a slot to open at an EA charger in VA. Yes, it took a bit longer than a traditional gas station, but most were at Walmart's/Sam's Club and grabbing a water and having a restroom break worked well. Highest charge rate we saw was 230kw briefly couple times on a 350kw with low SOC. Most common was 175kw off a 150kw. Always tried to precondition around 30 minutes ahead, but sometimes started only 15 minutes ahead. Key is to find/stay at hotels that offer free charging overnight through the valet park. Well worth the $25-$40. All but one did for us, and all were AC slow charging. They used the Tesla adapter once. Nothing like getting your car first thing in the morning with 469 miles showing 😁 Parking garage in NYC wanted additional $35 to charge overnight, no thank you🤣 Firefly Grill halfway between St. Louis/Indianapolis was by far the best experience, great food too! Saw 2 instances of massive pickup trucks doing the protest thing by intentionally blocking, but thankfully not covering all slots...tried our best to shrug it off, you know their issue, not ours 😁 More surprising was the utter lack of courtesy/respect/awareness? of other EV drivers unable to figure out how/where to park appropriately so they didn't take up 2 spaces, or they were flat out on the wrong charger. Twice had to settle for a lowly 50kw charge because the 150kw's were taken/not working and a Kia or Hyundai were taking the only available 350kw. Signed up and paid for the ABRP app. That didn't really help/work out for us and have since cancelled. Used Plugshare app a couple times. Another key is to NEVER take the native navigation recommendation of how far you can make it. At best, take the stop before to charge up. Also, the native app often shows no EA chargers "along route" or "near destination" even though there clearly were some. We found that by using the EA app on the phone in the morning before setting out we could figure out best stop(s) to utilize at around the 15-20% range, then DCFC back up to 75-85% range and continue on. Slow charge at hotel overnight. Basic/quick math when getting in car: Plug in your destination, see distance and double it. Compare to miles of range car shows, and if under you're good to go with plenty of safety net if there's an issue. If not, it's possible you might get yourself into an "anxiety" situation. For us, the "safety zone" was a maximum of 275 miles real world. Pretty important to point out we're not good at hypermiling🤣 Generally, highway driving was right at 10mph over speed limit, so most driving was in the 75-85mph range with occasional "spirited" driving. Most times would end up at 2.8 or 2.9 avg kwh/mile. One final observation, multiple times the native navigation selected a route which would have resulted in a much longer mileage. As with all nav apps, we learned to trust our gut and follow the actual signs. In one situation it saved us nearly 100 miles between Roanoke, VA and Knoxville, TN possibly due to an outdated construction zone that no longer exists...couple of times took nav's suggestions only to find out no exit from Express lane, etc...
Finally, we realize it's a work in progress, but man-oh-man what a fantastic car for a road trip...no question at the end of the day we were significantly more relaxed, less sore from a full days' drive than any car we've ever owned...
Oh yeah, there is definitely a problem/conflict with Tidal/Alexa/Phone-message notifications/Navigation prompts...that's probably the biggest annoyance, having to reset that by going to Tune-in and back to Tidal...hopefully they figure that bug out soon...😊

Damn, usually EVGo is very fast for me and they charge by the minute, like it’s about $7 to get 300 miles off their newer 350kw units. Of course if it’s their rest stop style 50kw unit then that’s gonna obviously take a lot more time. It’s weird it seems like in the last two months the entire EA network has utterly collapsed and 3/4 charging attempts fail or are painfully slow.

Youtuber “Out of Spec” (slightly overweight, bespectacled, bearded white guy), just put out a video, where he and his wife get into this for over an hour. The video title is “System Meltdown! What the Heck Is Going On With DC Fast Charging…”

The Petaluma Outlets. I went back today and pulled 135 from a 150 charger, which is pretty good.
Ah yea haven’t charged there either. I’ve had pretty good success at the mall. Even though when I showed up an ionic 5 stopped me and said to use the charger he was using (the 350) because he was there for an hour and could only get that one to work. FWIW I saw 2 other stalls working, but no issues on a very hot day pulling a lot of power from the 350 there.

Maybe EA should take a leap out of Lucid's book and put some umbrellas over the chargers 😂

1662677335305.png

Out of curiosity, should I be preconditioning when it’s hot outside or is that just for when it’s cold?
You should always be preconditioning. If it is too hot, it will try to cool the batteries to maintain an optimal temp.

You should always be preconditioning. If it is too hot, it will try to cool the batteries to maintain an optimal temp.
Thanks for your help, as always!

I have used EA exactly five times (across three different locations in the Bay Area) since I received my GT in early May. I have not had a single issue. Plug-and-charge worked exactly the way it was supposed to. I had to hit the "Continue" button on the charger every single time.

I am part of the 100 users that have 2.0.12 (installed during last weekend's "orgy of updates"). So today I went to the same EA charger I had used about a month ago fully expecting it to not work (given everything I have read on this forum). Well surprise! I had zero issues.

Back