EA Charging

It varies from stall to stall depends on how latest software is on that stall and what version of EA. The latest EA, I haven’t gotten any handshake issue.

So it seems that Pure does not work at all with PnC charging but Tourings did work a few times. Even last night I was at Livermore outlets. Good news is afrer pre conditioning 22min before charging 19% to 50% one charger started at 63kw. I stopped and went to the next one. It started at 220kW. In 13 minutes at 50% I stopped it at 30kWh. No ping pong. This tells me that the problem with slow charging is with EA and not Lucid. However, the lack of PnC charging seems to be specific to Pure. I would like other Pure owners to report their experience here. I will post my charging and driving experience in a separate thread for a drive from Temecula, CA to Fremont CA.

So it seems that Pure does not work at all with PnC charging but Tourings did work a few times. Even last night I was at Livermore outlets. Good news is afrer pre conditioning 22min before charging 19% to 50% one charger started at 63kw. I stopped and went to the next one. It started at 220kW. In 13 minutes at 50% I stopped it at 30kWh. No ping pong. This tells me that the problem with slow charging is with EA and not Lucid. However, the lack of PnC charging seems to be specific to Pure. I would like other Pure owners to report their experience here. I will post my charging and driving experience in a separate thread for a drive from Temecula, CA to Fremont CA.
I always have to open the Lucid app to select EA and the station ID.In my pure PnC charge never worked.

I always have to open the Lucid app to select EA and the station ID.In my pure PnC charge never worked.
Which model?

You too should contact Lucid. I think the problem is the Pure and not EA. We have proof of PnC working in DE, AGT and even T.

You too should contact Lucid. I think the problem is the Pure and not EA. We have proof of PnC working in DE, AGT and even T.
Response from lucid: Our Charging and Battery Teams have been working closely with Electrify America over the previous month at EA's lab in Virginia. At this time they are very close to resolving this issue with certain vehicles.

Response from lucid: Our Charging and Battery Teams have been working closely with Electrify America over the previous month at EA's lab in Virginia. At this time they are very close to resolving this issue with certain vehicles.
2.0.56 for plug and charge issue. Installed already. Need to try at EA 🙂

2.0.56 for plug and charge issue. Installed already. Need to try at EA 🙂
Yay! if it works, perhaps someone listened to my specific feedback about which VIN AGT worked and which VIN Pure did not work at the same station at about the same time.

Yay! if it works, perhaps someone listened to my specific feedback about which VIN AGT worked and which VIN Pure did not work at the same station at about the same time.
You did good, appreciate your dedication

I have a Touring, and Plug and Charge works for me.
Are you saying that you literally plug in and it starts to charge without you having to do anything else? I had to click a button in the Lucid app to start charging

Are you saying that you literally plug in and it starts to charge without you having to do anything else? I had to click a button in the Lucid app to start charging
Yes. At the chargers over by me in Boulder, I plug in, and it just goes after a few seconds. No need to open any app or do anything special.

When I was up in Breckinridge that one time, I had to open the app and select the specific charger I was on. But the one here locally "just works."

That's how it is supposed to work (literally plug in and it starts to charge), and does for me unless there is a problem.

Wondering if anyone else experiences this oddity. I have charged at about 6 different DC fast chargers in the Midwest, and I believe they are the older Signet models. Always have latest software and always pre-condition, starting usually around 20 % SOC. Life is good till about 40-45%, charging over 100 kWh, then the much described yo-yo, fast then slow charging occurs, bouncing between 40 and 90 kWh. If I am patient, this yo yo eventually stops, and the speed becomes like the charging curves, slowly decreases from ~ 110Kwh as my SOC increases. When it does this, a different sound I think happens, and my temperature on car "thermometer" starts to increase.
Any theories?
There is a brand new EA station in west Omaha that I will experiment with soon

Wondering if anyone else experiences this oddity. I have charged at about 6 different DC fast chargers in the Midwest, and I believe they are the older Signet models. Always have latest software and always pre-condition, starting usually around 20 % SOC. Life is good till about 40-45%, charging over 100 kWh, then the much described yo-yo, fast then slow charging occurs, bouncing between 40 and 90 kWh. If I am patient, this yo yo eventually stops, and the speed becomes like the charging curves, slowly decreases from ~ 110Kwh as my SOC increases. When it does this, a different sound I think happens, and my temperature on car "thermometer" starts to increase.
Any theories?
There is a brand new EA station in west Omaha that I will experiment with soon
Anecdotally, I believe the temp sensor is near the battery pack and/or the cooling fans kick the hot air around the temp sensor. But, starting around 20% SOC and getting 25% into your pack will increase the temp significantly. How high does it go?

I am going on a road trip and will need to charge on the road. Can I precondition while driving so I don’t waste time? Also do I initiate all charging from the app rather than the charger?

The Walmart in Tracy has three 350 charging stations. After a Volkswagen moved out of position, it was a no go for me after three-four attempts. Had to wait for another charger to become available to see if it would work. It did, but by then we were pressed for time and left after 20 minutes of charging. If EA is trying to develop customer loyalty, it is not working for me. The EA station at the Fremont Walmart off Osgood Road has had its share of handshake issues. The 350 chargers don’t appear to charge much faster than the 150 chargers. Tesla can’t make their chargers available soon enough. After the free three year charging ends, if things don’t improve, I will sell this car and go back to an ICE vehicle. Haven’t had any real issues with the vehicle other than charging frustration. Talked to an EA repair guy in Anderson and was told that he can only work off repair orders, even if a customer tells him at a work/repair site that another charger lacks the ability to finish the handshake. Pretty sad that one needs to plan on multiple charging sites in order to continue on down the road. I quit calling CS or EA and have them tell me how to connect to a charger after owning the vehicle for a year. Remote resets aren’t working either. The over the phone hand holding doesn’t improve the experience.
I feel tour Pain' I just made a trip from South Florida to Syracuse , NY. 90% of the EA charging where extremely SLOW Or I drove right pass the exit off I-95 . I new something was Wrong and had to turn around after a reset. . This is not the making of a good road trip Automobile. _PTE_

I am going on a road trip and will need to charge on the road. Can I precondition while driving so I don’t waste time? Also do I initiate all charging from the app rather than the charger?
Yes you can manually precondition.
If you select a charging station in the on board nav, it will precondition for you.
You could but with plug and charge on EA it should auto start.

Just curious, has anyone ever use EA with output anywhere near 350 kW?
Not yet ! Just finished a long road trip form SE Florida to Syracuse NY. Not once did I ever come close to that number & I always pre heated the Battery before charging ! _PTE_

I don’t bother to precondition anymore. It doesn’t seem to make a difference. I’ve done many road trips and have tested precondition vs precondition and haven’t seen any difference. I’ve found the crappy performance of EA so bad that I don’t even bother anymore. I’d rather pay for good EVGo performance than deal with slow, free charging at an EA charger. EA is going to be the death of the EV transition.

Back