EA Charging Problems

I really haven't had any troubles with EA up until my last two charges. It apparently is throttling back the charge rate after about 10 minutes. It's happened the last two times for me. It never happened before and I've always used the same EA charging station. It takes about 20 minutes to gain 30% and another 20 minutes to gain 10%. I used to be able to charge from 20% to 80% in about 30 minutes. Have others experienced this recently?
Throttling back the charge rate may be standard for EVs. I have a Tesla and when the charge level is low, the charge rate is very fast. It slows down considerably nearing maximum charge at Tesla superchargers.

Throttling back the charge rate may be standard for EVs. I have a Tesla and when the charge level is low, the charge rate is very fast. It slows down considerably nearing maximum charge at Tesla superchargers.
That isn't the station throttling back when the battery is above 80%. All EVs charge rate slow considerably at that point to protect the battery. in fact, in a Lucid, it will be faster to plug it into an 80 amp L2 charger once the battery gets full.

Update:
Yesterday afternoon, I tried EA again at a different location. Same problem. Drove to a EVgo, and my car didn't like the charger and gave me an error. I called Lucid and EA customer support and learned (from EA) that EA is having an issue with "some" vehicle makes--not just Lucid. They are "working on it." By last night, I was pretty irritated. I decided to see if Charge Point would be different and if the EVgo error might have been a fluke (as I was told by EVgo support). Much to my surprise, Charge Point worked first try, a different EVgo did, too. Since I was on a roll, I tried a third EA, and that worked first try on a PnC connection with two different chargers. So I don't know what to think at this point. For anyone trying to navigate a similar issue, the best advice I have is to ensure that Lucid sent your PnC authorization certificate to EA AND to be ready to call EA from the charger. The EA rep told me they have been authorized to start a charge for us when there is an authentication issue. Good luck out there.

Picked up my AT on 12/31 and on the way home stopped at the local EA installation which has 7 brand new 350kW chargers, to top it off. Couldn't get it to work at all. The car always told me to authenticate with the app and water Iselected myand after 30+ min on the phone with EA support they manually started a pity freebie charge session. Meanwhile rivians, vws, audis, and hyundias were charging without issues. I was so embarrassed.

Tried again a few days later, no luck. Sat at the charger for an hour while waiting for Lucid support to pickup. I finally gave up. When I got ahold of then later, they certified that my charging plan was active. They suggested to try support again when I was at the charger, and to also try other locations (though all are 15+ miles away)

Tried again today, no luck. By this time I had tried all 7 350kW chargers. At the end of the bank there is an older charger with 150kW CCS and Chademo connectors. I figured it couldn't hurt to try it. While it didn't work via "plug and play", once I selected the appropriate charger ID in the App, VOILA! it stated charging after a min or so delay. With temps in the 50's, no pre-conditioning, and the battery already at 67 or so, it was giving me 56kW charging rate (roughly 1%/min)

I went back to a 350kW charger and was able to get lucid support on the line. We went through all the steps with no luck, then then he got EA on the line. They were stumped too and eventually manually started a session for me. It didn't charge any faster than the 150kW charger did. EA was still on the line, and I told her I needed to be able to charge at this location as I only have 30A at home (And rent, so it's not worth investing $$$$ on a new electrical circuit) and didn't have time to spend 30 min on the phone each time to start it. After explaining all the above to her again, she escalated the issue and supposedly they will contact me to troubleshoot.

Note that all the 350kW stations are ~10/22 production BTC Power units with an italdesign logo on the front (should have been the first indication that it wouldn't work properly!)

I then drove to the nest closest station , which by has only 150kW chargers. Had to wait 15 min to get a spot, then tried it, and it worked fine (plug and play didn't work but I was able to authenticate by selecting the charger id on the lucid app.. ) this charger only gave me 42kW charging though

So, my problem seems to be, so far limited to these newer 350kW BTCP units.

Anyone else have similar results?

@HariK I see you are also in the bay area and similarly is able to charge at 150kW stations with speeds similar to my experience. I would be interested to hear if you have tried a 350kW station in the area. Thanks!
The only 350KW stations that I know of are in Westfield mall 2855 Stevens Creek Blvd, Santa Clara, CA 95050. Busy though.

Picked up my AT on 12/31 and on the way home stopped at the local EA installation which has 7 brand new 350kW chargers, to top it off. Couldn't get it to work at all. The car always told me to authenticate with the app and water Iselected myand after 30+ min on the phone with EA support they manually started a pity freebie charge session. Meanwhile rivians, vws, audis, and hyundias were charging without issues. I was so embarrassed.

Tried again a few days later, no luck. Sat at the charger for an hour while waiting for Lucid support to pickup. I finally gave up. When I got ahold of then later, they certified that my charging plan was active. They suggested to try support again when I was at the charger, and to also try other locations (though all are 15+ miles away)

Tried again today, no luck. By this time I had tried all 7 350kW chargers. At the end of the bank there is an older charger with 150kW CCS and Chademo connectors. I figured it couldn't hurt to try it. While it didn't work via "plug and play", once I selected the appropriate charger ID in the App, VOILA! it stated charging after a min or so delay. With temps in the 50's, no pre-conditioning, and the battery already at 67 or so, it was giving me 56kW charging rate (roughly 1%/min)

I went back to a 350kW charger and was able to get lucid support on the line. We went through all the steps with no luck, then then he got EA on the line. They were stumped too and eventually manually started a session for me. It didn't charge any faster than the 150kW charger did. EA was still on the line, and I told her I needed to be able to charge at this location as I only have 30A at home (And rent, so it's not worth investing $$$$ on a new electrical circuit) and didn't have time to spend 30 min on the phone each time to start it. After explaining all the above to her again, she escalated the issue and supposedly they will contact me to troubleshoot.

Note that all the 350kW stations are ~10/22 production BTC Power units with an italdesign logo on the front (should have been the first indication that it wouldn't work properly!)

I then drove to the nest closest station , which by has only 150kW chargers. Had to wait 15 min to get a spot, then tried it, and it worked fine (plug and play didn't work but I was able to authenticate by selecting the charger id on the lucid app.. ) this charger only gave me 42kW charging though

So, my problem seems to be, so far limited to these newer 350kW BTCP units.

Anyone else have similar results?

@HariK I see you are also in the bay area and similarly is able to charge at 150kW stations with speeds similar to my experience. I would be interested to hear if you have tried a 350kW station in the area. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-09 1.43.57 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-09 1.43.57 PM.png
    221.1 KB · Views: 82
I don’t have a problem with EA, but I use EA app for my other EVs road tripping. I haven’t used the EA app for awhile, I now just opened the mobile app to plan an upcoming trip. It shows that I’m stilling charging from a month ago. 🤣
50235392-29AE-4138-9B13-612CB14A9642.png

B17E51CA-218F-4EB3-911E-5A16CF77E522.png

834 hours locked in to stall. Ok, I just “SURE” I want to stop charging to relinquish. Sorry ‘bout other EVs if seeing this stall as unavailable. 🤣

Post our newest software update, I plugged in at an EA charger I’ve always successfully used in the past. However today, for the first time, I got an authentication error. I’ve never seen that before. I tried the charger next to it and got the same error despite repeatedly plugging and unplugging. It was only after EA initiated a complimentary charging session that I was able to charge.

Any ideas as to the cause? I’ll try a logo reboot and try again later today, but my suspicion is the last software update may have broken something in the authentication stream.

Post our newest software update, I plugged in at an EA charger I’ve always successfully used in the past. However today, for the first time, I got an authentication error. I’ve never seen that before. I tried the charger next to it and got the same error despite repeatedly plugging and unplugging. It was only after EA initiated a complimentary charging session that I was able to charge.

Any ideas as to the cause? I’ll try a logo reboot and try again later today, but my suspicion is the last software update may have broken something in the authentication stream.
Could be the charger needs a reboot. It happens.

I don’t have a problem with EA, but I use EA app for my other EVs road tripping. I haven’t used the EA app for awhile, I now just opened the mobile app to plan an upcoming trip. It shows that I’m stilling charging from a month ago. 🤣
View attachment 10502
View attachment 10503

834 hours locked in to stall. Ok, I just “SURE” I want to stop charging to relinquish. Sorry ‘bout other EVs if seeing this stall as unavailable. 🤣
Now imagine this would be idle time and they actually charged you for it. 🤣

Don't know if this is related, but yesterday I had a similar situation. After finishing my 2.1.42 update, I charged at home using my Lucid home charger prior to a short road trip. Later in the afternoon, I was charging at an EA charger in Denton, TX where I had successfully charged before. This was my first DCFC since the 2.1.42 software update. I got an authentication error instructing me to unplug and replug to try again. Same error. I decided to move to another charger and all it said was Cable Connected and it seemed stuck in an authentication loop. After trying a third charger with getting Cable Connected, I called Lucid CS. She was very helpful and after eliminating some troubleshooting options, she recommended I open my frunk and do a manual release on the charger port. I didn't really understand why as the charger cable was releasing normally each time I tried. She indicated her remote status showed my charger cable was not locked (and wouldn't be able to charge) even though I got the familiar click and a tug on the charger handle felt tight. She guided me to the manual charger release in the frunk above the charging port where I pulled on the release cable. I couldn't tell any difference, but then disconnected the charger cable. We waited for a minute or so, reconnected the charger cable, and all was back to normal!

I'm not sure technically what happened but perhaps pulling the manual release mechanically reset / realigned something in my charging port so that the correct connection could be made. I will monitor this the next time I DCFC as I don't know if this was a potential hardware problem with my charging port or not.

Don't know if this is related, but yesterday I had a similar situation. After finishing my 2.1.42 update, I charged at home using my Lucid home charger prior to a short road trip. Later in the afternoon, I was charging at an EA charger in Denton, TX where I had successfully charged before. This was my first DCFC since the 2.1.42 software update. I got an authentication error instructing me to unplug and replug to try again. Same error. I decided to move to another charger and all it said was Cable Connected and it seemed stuck in an authentication loop. After trying a third charger with getting Cable Connected, I called Lucid CS. She was very helpful and after eliminating some troubleshooting options, she recommended I open my frunk and do a manual release on the charger port. I didn't really understand why as the charger cable was releasing normally each time I tried. She indicated her remote status showed my charger cable was not locked (and wouldn't be able to charge) even though I got the familiar click and a tug on the charger handle felt tight. She guided me to the manual charger release in the frunk above the charging port where I pulled on the release cable. I couldn't tell any difference, but then disconnected the charger cable. We waited for a minute or so, reconnected the charger cable, and all was back to normal!

I'm not sure technically what happened but perhaps pulling the manual release mechanically reset / realigned something in my charging port so that the correct connection could be made. I will monitor this the next time I DCFC as I don't know if this was a potential hardware problem with my charging port or not.
That's really good to know. Thank you for posting!

Now imagine this would be idle time and they actually charged you for it. 🤣

I know, right? EA software bug can brick its physical hardware stall. No wonder they need constant phone calls from customers to reset their dispensers. 😞

Not sure you have a hardware problem. But that Denton EA definitely wasn’t reliable. First time I was there on my 2nd month of ownership, I had same case of authentication error. I have to change stall twice to get the problem solved. I was in panicking mode with 35miles SOC left and it’s Sunday, I texted Houston SC for help.

On my recent trip to Vegas passing Denton, I didn’t have issue, but there were 2 EA technicians at stations watching people charge to make sure smoothly before they go away. So this station may have reoccurring issues.

Attachments

• 9B98C4F2-F024-4E56-9AF3-80C25F51C558.jpeg
    9B98C4F2-F024-4E56-9AF3-80C25F51C558.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 40
  • DF635A72-772F-43F9-91E1-13D190377D5D.jpeg
    DF635A72-772F-43F9-91E1-13D190377D5D.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 37
Not sure you have a hardware problem. But that Denton EA definitely wasn’t reliable. First time I was there on my 2nd month of ownership, I had same case of authentication error. I have to change stall twice to get the problem solved. I was in panicking mode with 35miles SOC left and it’s Sunday, I texted Houston SC for help.

On my recent trip to Vegas passing Denton, I didn’t have issue, but there were 2 EA technicians at stations watching people charge to make sure smoothly before they go away. So this station may have reoccurring issues.
Thanks for your feedback. I don't use this EA location very often, but will feel better if this doesn't recur at my next DCFC...

EA service guys drive cool new Ioniq5 fleet vehicles.

Thanks for that! I’m wondering if that’s not my issue too. While on the phone call with EA during one of the charging attempts, I noticed the charge port door did not retract to its closed position after I had removed the charging handle. I thought that was odd and I’d never seen that before. I wound up coaxing it up to close.

I’ll try this later, but this is great info and something I would never have thought about. I do wonder if the update didn’t have something to do with it. BTW, I too had no issues with my L2 charger at home

I had a similar problem with EA in Livermore CA yesterday. It was on an old 150kw unit. Multiple attempts failed with cable plugged in message on car. First charging problem II many months. I moved to a new 350 kw charger that became available. It worked and was highest initial charge 200 kw that I have ever experienced. Did you have this problem with the 150kw charger?

So a follow up to my authentication issue. I went back to the same chargers just now after doing a logo reboot, but encountered the same issue. I did discover that I could use the Lucid app to initiate charging despite the authentication error, so there’s that. I also tried the manual disconnect that Keith mentioned, but that didn’t work in my case.

I did call Lucid tech support and they felt everything looked normal on their end. So in the end the finger was pointed at the bank of EA chargers that previously had never given me this issue. At some point I’ll try a different location I’ve used in the past to see if I get the same error. If I do I’d really suspect the car and whatever goes in to the authentication process. The first time using L3 charging after the software update continues to make me suspicious.

Back