Dream Owners Range Question

chinesejpl

Cars
Air GT
To those Dream Edition owners who are willing to share, I'd like to ask what your max range has been? I find it "interesting" that several online reviewers were able to get 500+ miles on their DE cars which is close to the 520 listed range but GTs are getting only about 410-435 miles of their 516 reported. I think the difference in battery size between DE and GT is 6kwh which should translate to a difference of around 25 miles between the 2 cars if based just on battery capacity. I guess part of the issue with those of us "unsatisfied" with the AGT's range may be because its stated range could have been overstated given that its battery is 6kwh smaller than the DE-R with only 4mile difference in EPA predicted range - although the DE has almost 300hp more?! I was hoping those with DEs could share whether i) their mi/kwh is close to the 4.2 experienced by the online reviewers (on longer trips) and ii) whether their batter pack is really 118kwh - conspiracy theory is that Lucid provided the reviewers with a car that had more than 118 kwh battery pack because the #s don't make sense vs what AGT owners and reviewers are posting.

Thanks

To those Dream Edition owners who are willing to share, I'd like to ask what your max range has been? I find it "interesting" that several online reviewers were able to get 500+ miles on their DE cars which is close to the 520 listed range but GTs are getting only about 410-435 miles of their 516 reported. I think the difference in battery size between DE and GT is 6kwh which should translate to a difference of around 25 miles between the 2 cars if based just on battery capacity. I guess part of the issue with those of us "unsatisfied" with the AGT's range may be because its stated range could have been overstated given that its battery is 6kwh smaller than the DE-R with only 4mile difference in EPA predicted range - although the DE has almost 300hp more?! I was hoping those with DEs could share whether i) their mi/kwh is close to the 4.2 experienced by the online reviewers (on longer trips) and ii) whether their batter pack is really 118kwh - conspiracy theory is that Lucid provided the reviewers with a car that had more than 118 kwh battery pack because the #s don't make sense vs what AGT owners and reviewers are posting.

Thanks
My lifetime average is 3.1mi/kwh which puts me at 360 miles without giving a crap about anything. Recently, on 2 longer drives, I've slowed down and was to achieve 4.6mi/kwh which would put me at 533 miles, my ACC was set to 65 and I was mainly stuck behind a truck going 55. Point is that the EPA for my DE-P, 21" wheels is achievable, it's just slow driving. I've also done the LA to SF run without charging, ACC to 70 will do it for you.

My lifetime average is 3.1mi/kwh which puts me at 360 miles without giving a crap about anything. Recently, on 2 longer drives, I've slowed down and was to achieve 4.6mi/kwh which would put me at 533 miles, my ACC was set to 65 and I was mainly stuck behind a truck going 55. Point is that the EPA for my DE-P, 21" wheels is achievable, it's just slow driving. I've also done the LA to SF run without charging, ACC to 70 will do it for you.
Do you mean 433?

Wow! Thank you for sharing. 65mph isn't that slow to be able to achieve that level of efficiency and with 21" wheels. I've not heard of AGT owners getting that range though. Could the motors be different, I wonder? More power and more efficient motors in DE?

Wow! Thank you for sharing. 65mph isn't that slow to be able to achieve that level of efficiency and with 21" wheels. I've not heard of AGT owners getting that range though. Could the motors be different, I wonder? More power and more efficient motors in DE?
Nah, tbh, everyone should be able to do it, but no one wants to drive that slow.

Like hydbob my average is right around 3.1 miles/Kwh. I also do not drive the car sedately and have fun with it. Typically on the freeways I'm at 75-80 mph with an occasional burst to 90+ when needed. That said, I will be driving over 300 miles this Friday, mostly freeway but also some city driving and am planning on making it without stopping for any charges. I am going to try to use Highway Assist and set my cruise at 70 mph (which is really around 68 mph) for the entire trip and see what happens. I might have to do a couple of speed bursts cause I'm taking my brother along and he hasn't ridden in the car yet. I will report back on mi/Kwh after the trip.

I have a GT (not a DE) with 19" wheels, picked up in December 2022. 1900 total miles, all in cold winter conditions in Ohio. Yesterday the temp was 73 degrees; first warm day since I've had the car. I went on a 50 mile trip, mostly freeway, cruising at 68 MPH. I set the trip meter at start of the trip and at the end the mileage was exactly 5.0 mi/KWh. My previous range in cold weather was 3.4mi/KWh, so warm weather and conservative driving made a huge difference.

Like hydbob my average is right around 3.1 miles/Kwh. I also do not drive the car sedately and have fun with it. Typically on the freeways I'm at 75-80 mph with an occasional burst to 90+ when needed. That said, I will be driving over 300 miles this Friday, mostly freeway but also some city driving and am planning on making it without stopping for any charges. I am going to try to use Highway Assist and set my cruise at 70 mph (which is really around 68 mph) for the entire trip and see what happens. I might have to do a couple of speed bursts cause I'm taking my brother along and he hasn't ridden in the car yet. I will report back on mi/Kwh after the trip.
Update. Trip cancelled due to expected very inclement weather coming in on Thursday night and lasting through Friday locally and longer further north on the planned route. No desire to drive 300 miles in terrible weather on a terrible freeway (101) that is full of surprise potholes!!

To those Dream Edition owners who are willing to share, I'd like to ask what your max range has been?

I can't really say, as I've never wanted to go without a break when driving the distance it would take to exhaust a full Dream Edition battery.

What I do know is that on our road trips we consistently drive around 80mph or a bit over with occasional higher bursts to get away from traffic clumps. We keep the A/C set to 70 degrees on hot days and run the audio system at decent volume. We start looking to combine a break with a charging stop around the 3-hour mark. And we have never used more that 67% of the battery charge in these conditions.

The only issue with using the Lucid on road trips has to do with the unreliability of the Electrify America network. The car itself presents no range issues whatsoever.

But how lol a DE-P with 21s?
The EPA estimate is just that; an estimate. It doesn't mean you can't get higher than that estimate, just like it doesn't mean you can't get lower than that estimate. It is all dependent on traffic conditions, weather, speed, wind speed and direction, and more than a dozen other things.

The EPA estimate is just that; an estimate. It doesn't mean you can't get higher than that estimate, just like it doesn't mean you can't get lower than that estimate. It is all dependent on traffic conditions, weather, speed, wind speed and direction, and more than a dozen other things.
I know, just so used to people getting 3 mi/kwh.

On the second leg (after fast DC charging at Evolve NY in Hancock) of my first 350+ mile trip in the 2 week-old Air Touring I got 4.3 mi/kWh traveling mostly at 70 mph on NY highways. Occasionally I'd get up to 75, or down to 65 mph depending on the posted speed limit. I was using the 'Highway Assist', which mostly worked well, only a couple of times failing to negotiate a steep curve in the mountains, requiring manual steering. The drive is so much nicer than in my previous EV - the Model 3 - quieter, smoother, and lane changing if you do it gently doesn't disengage the adaptive cruise control.
After the charging the cabin smelled a bit acrid, somewhat reminiscent of a slightly too warm battery smell. Has anybody else experienced that? I hope it's not an indication of anything troubling. Does the Lucid preheat the battery for charging if you follow its route planning advice for charging stops?

On the second leg (after fast DC charging at Evolve NY in Hancock) of my first 350+ mile trip in the 2 week-old Air Touring I got 4.3 mi/kWh traveling mostly at 70 mph on NY highways. Occasionally I'd get up to 75, or down to 65 mph depending on the posted speed limit. I was using the 'Highway Assist', which mostly worked well, only a couple of times failing to negotiate a steep curve in the mountains, requiring manual steering. The drive is so much nicer than in my previous EV - the Model 3 - quieter, smoother, and lane changing if you do it gently doesn't disengage the adaptive cruise control.
After the charging the cabin smelled a bit acrid, somewhat reminiscent of a slightly too warm battery smell. Has anybody else experienced that? I hope it's not an indication of anything troubling. Does the Lucid preheat the battery for charging if you follow its route planning advice for charging stops?
I've never noticed any smell after charging; I don't think that is normal.

I have never noticed any "warm battery smell" that I can recall and I almost exclusively charge at EA fast charging stations. You are a very brave man to drive 70-75 on NY highways. I used to travel there frequently during my working career and I don't think I have ever experienced worse roads.

I have never noticed any "warm battery smell" that I can recall and I almost exclusively charge at EA fast charging stations. You are a very brave man to drive 70-75 on NY highways. I used to travel there frequently during my working career and I don't think I have ever experienced worse roads.
Actually the LIE was almost completely repaved from Nassau through most of Suffolk. It's a real pleasure to drive on now. Of course many other roads in N.Y., not so much.

Back