Dream Drive versus Dream Drive Pro

Most hands-free ADAS cars are geofenced limited its use for highways with less chance for pedestrian sighting.

The only exception is Tesla Autosteer that can generically operate on both highways and city streets.

Lacking geofencing gives drivers a false impression that Tesla Autosteer is safer than others. Tesla Autosteer has been known to steer right into obstacles but those incidents are ignored by most drivers because they may rationalize that if it’s that bad, why can they still use it when pedestrians are around.

I think today's technology can allow crashless ADAS like the ones from Waymo.

I don't think the technology is smart enough for driverless because San Franciscans are complaining that Waymo and Cruise keep freezing up and blocking traffic. To unfreeze them, it takes a human intelligence from a worker to drive or tow it away.

In conclusion, people see that Waymo can safely do driverless so they might also think that they can use Tesla Autosteer with pedestrians around them.

Waymo hasn’t had auto collision without human intervention since inception. FSD Beta however many time was caught on camera would be very ugly collision if human didn’t intervene. Of course, Elon claimed FSD Beta will drive better than human eventually. I don’t buy it, but people are wanted to believe and get disappointed.

Now that we know Dream Drive Pro will be a $9,000 option for the Air Touring and Air Pure, a number of obvious questions come to mind. I apologize if these questions have been asked previously.

Can Dream Drive Pro be added after delivery?

The Lucid website does not clearly separate the available features in these two packages.
-Does the standard Air Touring/Pure include all 32 sensors necessary for Dream Drive Pro or does this option require both hardware and software additions?
-What features are included with the standard version of Dream Drive, such as parking assist and lane centering?
-What capabilities are available only through addition of Dream Drive Pro?

Thanks for your response.
Dream drive pro must be added during build out, due to hardware components that do not come standard with the dream drive. Checked with the lucid Plano,TX studio.

Is there any chance lucid can or will move Highway assist into basic dream drive? I don’t know what the hardware is like, but single lane keep assist is free on everything nowadays. Charging $9k is a lot. I can see putting features like lane changes, future hands free, lidar assisted adas, and more advanced features into the $9k package

Is there any chance lucid can or will move Highway assist into basic dream drive? I don’t know what the hardware is like, but single lane keep assist is free on everything nowadays. Charging $9k is a lot. I can see putting features like lane changes, future hands free, lidar assisted adas, and more advanced features into the $9k package
No one knows for sure. But I have said in the past I expect lane keep assist to maybe become part of the standard Dream Drive package in the future. Once Lucid has more elaborate features completed in the Pro package.

Companies switch the features in their offerings all the time. Especially the ones that are largely software.

But there could be hardware limitations we are unaware of preventing that. No one but the folks working on this stuff could say.

One thing to keep in mind with Lucid is that their general philosophy is to build as much stuff in house as possible. The upside of this is complete control over the final product. The downside is it takes longer to write things from scratch yourself than it does to plug in someone else’s already made software or hardware.

You can disagree with their choice to go their own way. But I don’t think it’s wise to expect that to change. They seem pretty much dedicated to their current approach. And I do think it will benefit them in the long run. Even if in the short term there’s a bit more pain.

I can’t speak for the company. But my assumption is once more features are developed, the existing features might cascade down to the lesser trims, unless it is related to hardware constraints.

Think of spending $9k this way. We, who purchased DD Pro, help fund the development and capabilities of DD.

I got DD Pro with my Lucid, but I had and have zero expectations that it will go beyond level 2. I just wanted to make sure that the car had the best chance of a good level 2 ADAS experience. So far Dream Drive is at my expectations, though I don't like the name. It is better than 'autopilot', but the first person in a Lucid involved in a collision while sleeping and dream drive is active will be a PR rodeo. Maybe they'll consider this, and rename the feature to 'Day Dream' drive or 'Clear drive', or something else that builds on the Lucid name without walking into a PR trap. I really don't want to experience what Tesla folks are going through with their latest Autopilot update.

My opinion is getting to the point where we don't need to be immediately prepared to operate a partially autonomous car will require specialized roads, and probably more sensors. Until someone is pushing the roads side of the autonomous driving equation, consumer vehicle autonomy is just a dream. Even Waymo follows my thinking-Waymo cars are GEOFenced and even then, they are backed by a team of remote drivers to help the car through unique situations.

I got DD Pro with my Lucid, but I had and have zero expectations that it will go beyond level 2.
I believe if Lucid has resources, it can achieve L3 like Mercedes, who sold the feature in Germany for the past year with zero accidents while in L3 mode.

L3 is legal in Nevada and California; consumers can now order their 2024 L3 Mercedes version.

BMW is also trying to catch up to L3 by March 2024.

I got DD Pro with my Lucid, but I had and have zero expectations that it will go beyond level 2. I just wanted to make sure that the car had the best chance of a good level 2 ADAS experience. So far Dream Drive is at my expectations, though I don't like the name. It is better than 'autopilot', but the first person in a Lucid involved in a collision while sleeping and dream drive is active will be a PR rodeo. Maybe they'll consider this, and rename the feature to 'Day Dream' drive or 'Clear drive', or something else that builds on the Lucid name without walking into a PR trap. I really don't want to experience what Tesla folks are going through with their latest Autopilot update.

My opinion is getting to the point where we don't need to be immediately prepared to operate a partially autonomous car will require specialized roads, and probably more sensors. Until someone is pushing the roads side of the autonomous driving equation, consumer vehicle autonomy is just a dream. Even Waymo follows my thinking-Waymo cars are GEOFenced and even then, they are backed by a team of remote drivers to help the car through unique situations.
Oh, now I can imagine an ad for "day-dream."

Cue somebody engaging the system. Then, teleport the camera into their brain to reveal them day-dreaming about upgrading to a dream edition gravity. Then, the system beeps at him for not looking at the road, causing him to panic and grab the steering wheel, crashing the car. The camera shows him getting out uninjured and saying "Wow, now I have the perfect excuse to upgrade to a DE!" Tragically, the camera then shows a Tesla on FSD with the driver sleeping hitting the already crashed Lucid. The text rolls across the screen; "Lucid Air. So safe it doesnt injure you even when you day-dream of dreams."
/s in case that wasnt obvious, insurance tie up with statefarm optional

I believe if Lucid has resources, it can achieve L3 like Mercedes, who sold the feature in Germany for the past year with zero accidents while in L3 mode.

L3 is legal in Nevada and California; consumers can now order their 2024 L3 Mercedes version.

BMW is also trying to catch up to L3 by March 2024.

Assuming my information is up to date, the Mercedes system is very limited. Day time, in perfect weather, on well-marked divided highways it goes up to 38 mph and requires the user to be ready to assume control. You can use it on some sections of the autobahn, at 37mph max. 37mph is not what I think of when I think of the autobahn. The system can activate on fewer than 10 percent of the roads in Germany. Sounds like Drive Pilot is regulated to not be used.

I'm not saying the system in the Lucid cannot be improved. I hope and expect that it will be. I just don't expect to be reading a book while my Lucid Air drives me to work.

Assuming my information is up to date, the Mercedes system is very limited. Day time, in perfect weather, on well-marked divided highways it goes up to 38 mph and requires the user to be ready to assume control. You can use it on some sections of the autobahn, at 37mph max. 37mph is not what I think of when I think of the autobahn. The system can activate on fewer than 10 percent of the roads in Germany. Sounds like Drive Pilot is regulated to not be used.

I'm not saying the system in the Lucid cannot be improved. I hope and expect that it will be. I just don't expect to be reading a book while my Lucid Air drives me to work.
Correct.

Level 3 is not as good as Waymo Level 4.

Since it is not that good, there's still a way to use what it can do.

That means severe restrictions to make sure L3 is a success with as near zero collisions as possible.

Slow speed L3 seems to be impractical but Mercedes is working on 80 MPH L3 also.

It's a baby step but at last consumer L3 is now available.

Correct.

Level 3 is not as good as Waymo Level 4.

Since it is not that good, there's still a way to use what it can do.

That means severe restrictions to make sure L3 is a success with as near zero collisions as possible.

Slow speed L3 seems to be impractical but Mercedes is working on 80 MPH L3 also.

It's a baby step but at last consumer L3 is now available.

Better than Level-2 FSD Beta where Tesla doesn’t have to take legal responsibilities like Mercedes does.

Back