Does the Lucid Grand Touring Satisfy your Sport Car Desires

tkhan456

Cars
Lucid Air GT
Want to know for those of you who also love sports cars, does your AGT satisfy your sporty driving needs? Considering letting go of my Cayman GT4. I’ll probably wait for my AGT to arrive before selling it, but just wanted to hear other peoples feelings. Are the driving dynamics as good as reviews say or does it still feel like a big heavy sedan. How’s the body roll?

Want to know for those of you who also love sports cars, does your AGT satisfy your sporty driving needs? Considering letting go of my Cayman GT4. I’ll probably wait for my AGT to arrive before selling it, but just wanted to hear other peoples feelings. Are the driving dynamics as good as reviews say or does it still feel like a big heavy sedan. How’s the body roll?
I think the car's handling is fantastic. I feel that it handles extremely well and tight around corners at speed. I'm not sure I would compare it to a small sports car such as a Cayman GT4 or 911, but definitely satisfies my need for sporty driving. I think they tried to emulate a BMW M5. In addition, you just can't beat the instant mind blowing acceleration.

I’m keeping AGT indefinitely until it wears out to give me aggregation to maintain and I am selling my Porsche Boxster this week.

My bro-in-law has a Cayman GTS. He had a chance to drive my DE around for a few hours. For nimbleness, GTS all the way. For pretty much all other driving desires, DE all the way. Heavy, but planted and power is infinite. Handles much better than it size would dictate.

So as I've written before I've owned four Porsches including a 911 that I tracked all over CA and a Boxster S. Its a bit of apples/oranges to compare the Lucid to a Cayman GTS. A better comparison is to compare it to a Porsche Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid. I had the 2018 Panamera E-hybrid which I loved. Overall handling for Dream is better but not by a lot. Acceleration is much better. Comfort is much better. Stereo sound is much better. I don't think comparing to a Cayman GTS makes sense. Much different driving dynamics. All of that said, I am very happy with the Dream. Easily the best car I've ever owned.

I’m keeping AGT indefinitely until it wears out to give me aggregation to maintain and I am selling my Porsche Boxster this week.
I sold my Panamera GTS today, as my AGT is in the process of being shipped. It was not easy to do, but you selling your Boxter gives me some level of comfort.

I have spent most of my miles in Smooth mode, and the drive has been absolutely fantastic. When I first got the car, I used Sprint a few times, but I didn't know enough about the car to pay much attention to the difference. Lately, I've been playing around with Sprint a bit more. All I can say is wow! - a whole nother level (or two). Even more fun than I was having before, but I'm also equally happy with the ride in Smooth when I'm just cruising around and not trying to exceed the speed limit.

Yes. Having driven both a huracan and a twin turbo r8, this is not by any means the same car, but the best car I’ve ever driven. It lacks the “anger” of either of the first two, but is infinitely more comfortable and the instant torque just cannot be beat.

(But mine is a DE, which is closer to the GT-P, to be clear)

If your sporty driving is satisfied by acceleration in a straight line the Air will deliver. As many have posted it is stupid fast.
It handles reasonably well for a 5200 pound car. If you start pushing the car the OEM tires quickly reach their limit with the brakes not far behind.
For anything on public roads the Air is awesome.

Picking up the pace on a twisty road the Air quickly becomes more like work than fun compared to a Cayman GT4. Not saying the Air can not be fun, it’s just a really heavy car.

If you want to start turning laps at a track you might get a lap or two faster than an M5 comp, but the M5 would be capable of turning consistent lap times that would have the Air brakes literally on fire in a few laps.

If your sporty driving is satisfied by acceleration in a straight line the Air will deliver. As many have posted it is stupid fast.
It handles reasonably well for a 5200 pound car. If you start pushing the car the OEM tires quickly reach their limit with the brakes not far behind.
For anything on public roads the Air is awesome.

Picking up the pace on a twisty road the Air quickly becomes more like work than fun compared to a Cayman GT4. Not saying the Air can not be fun, it’s just a really heavy car.

If you want to start turning laps at a track you might get a lap or two faster than an M5 comp, but the M5 would be capable of turning consistent lap times that would have the Air brakes literally on fire in a few laps.
Are you on the 21s or 19s?

I often feel I’m in the time warp as everything else on the road is dinosaur.

So as I've written before I've owned four Porsches including a 911 that I tracked all over CA and a Boxster S. Its a bit of apples/oranges to compare the Lucid to a Cayman GTS. A better comparison is to compare it to a Porsche Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid. I had the 2018 Panamera E-hybrid which I loved. Overall handling for Dream is better but not by a lot. Acceleration is much better. Comfort is much better. Stereo sound is much better. I don't think comparing to a Cayman GTS makes sense. Much different driving dynamics. All of that said, I am very happy with the Dream. Easily the best car I've ever owned.
I had the 2018 Porsche Panamera Turbo. Ditto for the comments above with my AGT compared to the Porsche, except that I think the handling might have been a smidge better with the Porsche(the rear wheel steering option on the Porschemakes the difference)

Air GT handles almost as well as My 2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo with the performance package (sold a few weeks after delivery of my Air GT). The Porsche was slightly more agile but you have to really push it to notice the difference. The GT is an exceptional car in all aspects-you wont regret it - but it is not really comparable to a track car like a cayman GT4 which handles incredibly well but has many other compromises.

The car feels bigger than my BMW M5 and does not handle as well as my M5 in my opinion, but that might just be me needing to get more comfortable in the car. It will be interesting to see if I still feel the same way in a few weeks.

The lucid is wider than an M5 sedan but also about an inch shorter. I am surprised that you think it feels bigger as Ev’s have a low center of gravity that makes them drive smaller. If you have real wheel steering on the M5 that might make it turn tighter. No comparison over a rough road though. Also an M5 gets 17 mpg compared to the Lucid’s 90mpg equivalent. The lucid GT is faster than an M5 although there both more than most people need. If you have the completion package on your M5 it may be slighter better in the twisties or on the track. No comparison as an everyday driver where I. Think the lucid wins hands down in terms of comfort and versatility.

The car feels bigger than my BMW M5 and does not handle as well as my M5 in my opinion, but that might just be me needing to get more comfortable in the car. It will be interesting to see if I still feel the same way in a few weeks.
I wonder how much of the audio and tactile feedback you get from the M5’s powerful V8 plays into this? The sound and feel of a well tuned V8 is intoxicating and I hope I don’t miss it too much. Seems like it would be a better comparison against a Taycan, which should have a closer sound and feel to the Lucid.

Great point - EV’s do not have that raw feeling that you get from a muscle car or a big V8. But the level of refinement you get from a premium EV is unmatched in an ICE car outside of an S class or similar top end luxury car.

The Air is 28% heavier than the M5 on smaller lower performance tires and the M5 has better brakes.

Yes, the Air wins in a straight line. Handling and braking it is the M5 hands down. It‘s physics.

Back