• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Dead with 10 miles of range

I also would have thought you could have made it to zero. On my Tesla I made it to zero more than once and even at zero it would let me go a bit more but it would limp there.
I had a tesla for 10 years and took it to less then 10 miles of range more times then I can count. I had a P85+ it now has 125,000 miles on it with 10% of battery loss most of the loss came in the first 2 years of ownership.

Yes- my understanding is most EVs are designed with a little reserve after “empty” in the same way gas cars are.

In this test the spread was 7-10 miles reserve range.

Love CarWow content. Basically this video is saying all the tested EV will die with 6-10 miles left even though their SOC states 0%.

@Bill B, I would just be safe to refer to SOC going forward.

BTW don't try going below zero in a Mercedes. Mine, at least, had no buffer - the only time I've run out of gas in 50 years.

The only time I ran out of gas was when I had I just got my license At 16. My dad told me to take the pickup into town and get something and “it might need gas.” Sure enough, about five miles down the road, it ran out of gas. We lived in the country in the middle of nowhere, before I even got close to the gas station, and cell phones were not invented back then. Fortunately I was near a farm which I walked to. The farmer new my dad and gave me a little gas to get me on my way. But I have never run out of gas again and that one was not my fault…..

The only time I ran out of gas was when I had I just got my license At 16. My dad told me to take the pickup into town and get something and “it might need gas.” Sure enough, about five miles down the road, it ran out of gas. We lived in the country in the middle of nowhere, before I even got close to the gas station, and cell phones were not invented back then. Fortunately I was near a farm which I walked to. The farmer new my dad and gave me a little gas to get me on my way. But I have never run out of gas again and that one was not my fault…..

Like portable gas canister can put in 3-5 gallons gas for rescue, I wonder if there is any AC or DC portable battery out there in the market can put in 2-3 kW for rescue…

Like portable gas canister can put in 3-5 gallons gas for rescue, I wonder if there is any AC or DC portable battery out there in the market can put in 2-3 kW for rescue…
I've read of such things over the years. Not sure if any made it to market.

Ford, Kia/Hyundai have bi-directional charge and Rivian has 1500w 220v outlet for EVSE. I wish more EVs can have bi-directional down the road for one EV to rescue another stranded EV down the road just like ICE does with 12v LV jump.

Lucid is supposed to have bidirectional charge. I’m waiting for the cable as I woUld love it in case my son drives the Leaf to zero.

Seems like the Ariya has a large buffer. They ran miles and miles at 0% SOC in this range test. (tldr; it made it 240 miles on a full charge)

Lucid is supposed to have bidirectional charge. I’m waiting for the cable as I woUld love it in case my son drives the Leaf to zero.

Yes, it’s been more than a year since Air debut. We recently saw Lucid Home Charger and Nema 14-30 adapter release. Let’s hope V2V and V2L cable/interface is not far behind.

I've seen one from a YouTuber in Scandinavia.
Soon after, I came across this thing here in States, even on sale,.
I think it was in the range of $1,500 and the wattage wasn't that high.

Love CarWow content. Basically this video is saying all the tested EV will die with 6-10 miles left even though their SOC states 0%.

@Bill B, I would just be safe to refer to SOC going forward.
I agree. I was just going to say only use the SOC as a guide, not the range, and to the extent reasonably possible, try to stay within the 20-80% SOC.

I share the OPs concern about the car being non-operational despite 10 miles being registered as being available. I've said previously, accuracy is more important for me than actual #. I only want to be able to travel whatever the car says I can. Not necessarily more but certainly not less. Stop showing me a large number that is essentially impossible (I know it isn't but if you drive "normally" it is impossible) to get but instead show me a lower number that I can actually drive! This is why I appreciate our EQS - eventhough the battery is similar in size (108 vs 112) the stated range is drastically different (459 km vs 759km) BUT the EQS is accurate meaning that I can get 459 kms driving normally whereas my AGT is a complete toss up. I don't know what I will get from day to day?

I share the OPs concern about the car being non-operational despite 10 miles being registered as being available. I've said previously, accuracy is more important for me than actual #. I only want to be able to travel whatever the car says I can. Not necessarily more but certainly not less. Stop showing me a large number that is essentially impossible (I know it isn't but if you drive "normally" it is impossible) to get but instead show me a lower number that I can actually drive! This is why I appreciate our EQS - eventhough the battery is similar in size (108 vs 112) the stated range is drastically different (459 km vs 759km) BUT the EQS is accurate meaning that I can get 459 kms driving normally whereas my AGT is a complete toss up. I don't know what I will get from day to day?
We all agree on this. Literally all of us. It was in the Mega Poll and has been posted here at least 100 times.

We all agree on this. Literally all of us. It was in the Mega Poll and has been posted here at least 100 times.
I know this...I was merely commenting as there appeared to be comments to the OP that he/she shouldn't have let the car get down to 10 miles or too low of SOC. I don't have any comment on whether someone should or should not let their car drain that much but I sincerely hope lucid addresses these issues so more owners don't get stranded and potential EV buyers consider buying a lucid

I know this...I was merely commenting as there appeared to be comments to the OP that he/she shouldn't have let the car get down to 10 miles or too low of SOC. I don't have any comment on whether someone should or should not let their car drain that much but I sincerely hope lucid addresses these issues so more owners don't get stranded and potential EV buyers consider buying a lucid
I agree on both points. I don't think I would ever let my car get down that low. That said, the car shouldn't say there's 10 miles left.

Reactions: Plg

You should really watch the above video, all the 6 tested brands stop their EV with 6-10 miles left when they hit 0% SOC. In ICE car, even if you have a quart of fuel left, it may still stop. It is not a bug, but matter of quantifying and reporting electrons. It’s actually for caution as manufacturers do not to wish to see the reserve electrons dried up to injure battery cells.

Back